Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newlands tomorrow...?
GeoffT

posted on 16/5/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Newlands tomorrow...?

Been trying to clear up a couple of the niggling faults in the '7' that have built up over the last few years. These were both heat related issues, so a decent long run to Newlands tomorrow should tell me if I've been successful. Maybe see you there..?
bob

posted on 23/5/15 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Geoff .... been away for a while.

I'm getting less and less time for the car, i have to decide whats best and i'm leaning towards selling sadly.

I will be at the events i've posted up hopefully, and if i do not get out for a run on the last may bank holiday i will be at the Walton Bridge breakfast on the last day of May.

GeoffT

posted on 24/5/15 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like we're having very similar trains of thought at the moment Bob, I'm in the process of preparing the car for possible sale in the near future.

I may be ok for the Walton meet at the end of May, hopefully catch up with you there...

steve m

posted on 24/5/15 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I couldn't make Newlands today, as ive just finished night shifts, and just got up after 4 hours rest, not sleep and feel shyte

however, on the selling front, I just couldn't do it, one im not strapped for cash, two, I would be lost with out having the 7 in bits for 6 months a year for 6 months use

if I didn't have the 7, what would I do on my days off ? probably just watch TV, now that would be a boring life

also im my case, a book built locost, has no real value, and I doubt I would get much more than 3k for it,
so what would I be able to buy for that type of money to replace it with something more useful
not much, a rusty MGB or a MX5,

no there not really me

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bob

posted on 24/5/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Steve i know exactly where your coming from and to be honest i really do not want to sell, sadly its a health issue for me with my arthritic bones climbing in out under and over the car when fiddling and fettling.

Also ...... but this is a big maybe, we may be moving house and a garage is not high on priority for the future.

Geoff yes hopefully the weather will be kind for us next Sunday 31st.

Humbug

posted on 24/5/15 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've not posted here for a while but I do keep an eye on it... sad days if you sell your cars Geoff and Bob.

BTW, Steve, if you do get 3k for your locost you could get quite a lot of MX5 for that amount. I sold me Stuart Taylor in 2011 and got a MX5 Mk1 BBR Turbo for under 3k (though I did have to get the sills done)

Mx5nutz.com is a good site to get some info if you decide on that route

Cheers,

Simon

GeoffT

posted on 24/5/15 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Good to know you're still around Simon, don't hear so much from you these days.

I'm in a similar position to Bob really, arthritic knees make the 7 a difficult car to enjoy at times and after 11 years of ownership I feel it's time to move on. Steve is right though, a tinkering project in the garage is almost essential for the sanity of people like ourselves and I'm sure I'd replace it with something more OAP friendly fairly soon.

I'd prefer something more of a 'project' than the MX5 and your mention of Stuart Taylor reminded me of their frogeye style MK1 - would love to get hold of one of these (in a any stage of completion) but I think they're rather thin on the ground. I've always liked the frogeye shape but originals are getting stupid expensive these days and the dodgy brakes and gutless motors don't appeal too much....

Geoff.

Surrey Dave

posted on 17/6/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
It's Not Easy!!!!

Geoff and Bob thinking of selling whatever next.........................the world's gone mad!!!

It's not easy to sell the car you built!!!, took me about 3yrs and a couple of P***ed off Germans!!!

Although it's been nearly a year now and I don't miss it , as I hardly used it anyway!!, but I do look at my www.locostcar.co.uk website occasionally and think wow !! that wasn't a bad attempt.............................

And still maintain that the 1.8 CVH is NOTHING like as bad as reputed (long as you get rid of the silly little Pierburg carb!)

I still think of perhaps MX5 or MGTF or BMW Z3 as a replacement, but my health went shite in the winter ended up having an Angiogram , and even worse needed 2 stents!!!!!!!.....nearly blocked coronary arteries!!!!!!!!!

So since Jan cars have been the last thing on my mind ....more like survival........ bit of a shock .....didn't realise I was so OLD!!!

GeoffT

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Dave, sounds like you've been through the wars mate. Glad to see they're on your case, no doubt they'll soon have you back in race tune...
Dick Axtell

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet "Bulge"

Hi GeoffT,

Apologies for interrupting your thread. Noticed your recently uploaded pics, and am particularly interested in the bonnet "scoop", or bulge shown in this pic.

Description
Description

In particular, I noticed the forward position of this bulge. I presume it provides clearance for the forward part of your engine, i.e. camshaft gears and housing. What engine have you installed? Secondly, how did you attach your bulge to the bonnet?

Have just re-checked your pics. Its a K series engine. How long is it? (Just want to compare it with the old silvertop, to find out where I'll have to place my bonnet bulge).

[Edited on 18/6/15 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

GeoffT

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Dick, will u2u further info tomorrow.
Surrey Dave

posted on 18/6/15 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bulge

When I measured my Locost up for a silvertop it would have needed a massive bulge in the Nosecone to bonnet join area more like a Tiger or Sylva Stryker.

That why i never fitted it , couldn't face messing up my nice low bonnet line.

bob

posted on 18/6/15 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Geoff and Bob thinking of selling whatever next.........................the world's gone mad!!!

It's not easy to sell the car you built!!!, took me about 3yrs and a couple of P***ed off Germans!!!

Although it's been nearly a year now and I don't miss it , as I hardly used it anyway!!, but I do look at my www.locostcar.co.uk website occasionally and think wow !! that wasn't a bad attempt.............................

And still maintain that the 1.8 CVH is NOTHING like as bad as reputed (long as you get rid of the silly little Pierburg carb!)

I still think of perhaps MX5 or MGTF or BMW Z3 as a replacement, but my health went shite in the winter ended up having an Angiogram , and even worse needed 2 stents!!!!!!!.....nearly blocked coronary arteries!!!!!!!!!

So since Jan cars have been the last thing on my mind ....more like survival........ bit of a shock .....didn't realise I was so OLD!!!

Dave .... really sorry to hear your news mate, i hope your going in the right direction now.
Its a bigger shock to us to be honest, keep in contact.

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/6/15 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thankyou

Thanks guys , yes it's been a tough few months , the 'procedure didn't quite right so have had some complications and plenty of discomfort, if I could go back in time I would not walk into that angio suite!!!!

I have been far worse than I was before !!!!!, still good days and bad days.

I never actually had a heart attack just a couple of funny turns and a bit short of breath.

Thank you once again for your comments, Dave O

Dick Axtell

posted on 19/6/15 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
When I measured my Locost up for a silvertop it would have needed a massive bulge in the Nosecone to bonnet join area more like a Tiger or Sylva Stryker. That why i never fitted it , couldn't face messing up my nice low bonnet line.

Uh - Oh!! That area has been worrying me. Looks like the forward end of the silvertop just crosses over the bonnet-to-nosecone join. However, there's no going back now.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.