Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE Oil Temperature - how to measure.
Rosco

posted on 4/6/17 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
4AGE Oil Temperature - how to measure.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to measure oil temperature accurately on a Toyota 4AGE. My engine is Phase 3, 16 value unit.

I have an Koso Rx2N instrument cluster with two temperature inputs, one is already connected to the water circuit and I would like to have the other measuring oil temperature, but not sure how. The temperature sensors a 10mm fine metric thread I think.

I have wondered about replacing the sump plug but hear that's not a very accurate way to measure oil temperature and in any case would be very vulnerable to damage.

Thanks

bi22le

posted on 4/6/17 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure my car uses something like this. I have a mocal thermostatic sandwich plate as well.

Sandwich Plate Adaptor Oil Temp / Pressure For Toyota Celica Starlet Supra

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Nickp

posted on 5/6/17 at 05:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco

I have wondered about replacing the sump plug but hear that's not a very accurate way to measure oil temperature and in any case would be very vulnerable to damage.

Thanks

Why would it not be accurate? This will be the temp of the oil before it's pumped around your engine. Seems the best place to measure it if you ask me and it's where I plan to put mine on my BMW engine

CosKev3

posted on 5/6/17 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally for the best average reading you want it sat halfway up the sump so it's sat in the middle of the oil level in sump.

Or use a plate as above.

quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco

Thanks

Why would it not be accurate? This will be the temp of the oil before it's pumped around your engine. Seems the best place to measure it if you ask me and it's where I plan to put mine on my BMW engine

Because it's right at the bottom (coolest) part of the sump that's why!

davew823

posted on 5/6/17 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Oil temp 4AGE

The easy solution would be to just add a "T" fitting at the stock Toyota oil cooler outlet. The hard part would be find a "T" with fine metric threads. You will prabably have to adapt a "T" and tap the 10mm fine threads into the fitting. Dave W

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.