Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: megajolt mapping: 2D v. 3D?
David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/18 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
megajolt mapping: 2D v. 3D?

I've just had a word with Atspeed Racing - told him what engine, carb and ignition system I've got, and he said that they'd only do 2D mapping of the ignition on a Megajolt system (they disconnect the TPS sensor). He reckoned that a crossflow runs perfectly OK with a 2D map. I can understand why he wouldn't want to spend a lot of time setting up a full 3D map, but I feel that I'd be losing out.

Any views, comments, and/or personal experience?

Shooter63

posted on 27/6/18 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Funny enough I was down there a couple of weeks ago with the Mrs classic mini, he noticed that I had fitted a trigger wheel and asked why, I told him that I had originally fitted the engine with a megajolt but in the end taken it off and refitted the dizzy for various reasons, we got on to the subject different systems etc, and basically they are not fans of the mega type ecus and if i heard properly will flat out refuse to map them along with other more main line manufacturers.
I found them dead honest even to the point of telling me to take my kit running an emerald to Dave walker as it would be cheaper for him to do it, I think the best thing for you to do is phone around to find a company who do them.

Regards

Shooter

MikeRJ

posted on 28/6/18 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
For a road car you will be losing out in fuel economy if you have no vacuum/load ignition control.
mcerd1

posted on 28/6/18 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
sounds more like they just can't be bothered - I guess they've got enough other work on that they can pick and chose the jobs they want...

I'm sure that other ECU's are nicer to work with than MJ, but the fact is MJ works and its really not complicated to tune.
If you've got a base map thats pretty close (i.e. from an engine with similar spec / tune to yours) then it shouldn't take more than a few tweaks to get pretty close

-

David Jenkins

posted on 28/6/18 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I know that many people have had good service from Atspeed, so I'll be a little cautious in what I say...

I have spoken to them two or three times over the years, and I've always felt that their attitude is a bit 'know it all'. Maybe they do know it all, or perhaps most of it, but it's not a good way to talk to customers. Don't get me wrong - the conversation was quite friendly - but there was a lot of "oh, you haven't got one of those, have you" and "I hate working with those things". It made me feel as though I don't want to do business with them.

... but perhaps it's just me.

snapper

posted on 29/6/18 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I was advised to put an acuspark distributor on and he rubbed his hands when I said bike carbs.
Don’t get me wrong he knows what he’s doing when he was tuning a V6 Super-rod.

I went to Northampton Motorsport with a 390 GT Mustang the owner of which is a hugely experienced and very clever powertrain engineer, he pretty much interrogated Troy before committing to use them.
It’s a much longer haul but I got the feeling they were much more open minded and more willing to do work with ECU’s.

A 2D map on Megajolt is ok and you can copy a dizzy curve easily and if you’ve got the info emulate the vac and weight advance

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Shooter63

posted on 30/6/18 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I've just checked the Atspeed web site, it clearly states they do not work on MS based ecus

Shooter

David Jenkins

posted on 30/6/18 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
I've just checked the Atspeed web site, it clearly states they do not work on MS based ecus

Shooter

MJ, not MS! This is Megajolt, not Megasquirt.

robocog

posted on 1/7/18 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
My gut instinct is telling me that it is more likely to be that someone running mega anything is not going to simply tip out their wallets as readily as say an emerald / jenvey user
Also I'm sure they will have come across problematic time wasting issues that they are fighting to tune around due to variances in build quality (+wiring procedures)

If they CBA or simply don't want to spend the time on a finished map in exchange for money they are entitled to do just that
Maybe they are simply not up to the task :p

Good luck finding someone willing to assist

(I ran mine 2d and then fiddled to make it 3d as soon as I got rid of my wobbly tps bodgeup and fitted a solidly mounted TPS and also went dual mapped via a switch and tweaked one using my seat of the pants dyno....put it on a proper expensive dyno on a shoot out day - the map I 'felt' was strongest was actually down 5 hp according to the rig...meh, both maps ran fine for what I wanted and the pinto drank like a fish regardless of any 3d tweaks I attempted - so I know I am not the right person for the task...though never had detonation issues and she always started easy)

Regards
Rob

Shooter63

posted on 2/7/18 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

Shooter

MJ, not MS! This is Megajolt, not Megasquirt.

To use a Mexican food analogy it's the same sh$t wrapped up different

David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/18 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

To use a Mexican food analogy it's the same sh$t wrapped up different

Well, not really. MS is for controlling a fuel injection system (injectors and ignition) while MJ is ignition only. MS is far more complex than MJ.

mcerd1

posted on 3/7/18 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
^^ while most of us are happy to acknowledge the difference between Megajolt and Megasquirt (being 2 independent products developed by different people with completely different goals) some will likely just lump them all together as the 'DIY' ECU's that they can't be bothered with

its very common for professionals (in almost any trade) to stick to what they know in preference to working with what you bring them, that way they can do more jobs in a day for less stress - and if they feel they can turn away work / persuade the client to buy the ECU they prefer thats up to them.

[Edited on 3/7/2018 by mcerd1]

-

ttalps2000

posted on 3/7/18 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
When i spoke to the guy i used for rolling road tuning, i quizzed him about all this. He did make a valid ish point.

He said Megasquirt is a bit of a nightmare to set-up at times and can take a while, like 3 hours at times to get it right! Whereas Omex takes about an hour if that and if there are any issues Omex will resolve them over the phone.

His point was, at £110+Vat for first hour then £65 + Vat thereafter, the overall difference in price is not that great when you have to pay him to set it all up.

he will tune anything though and happily does my megajolt setup with no moans etc. Knows his Webers too!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.