Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: High sided vs low sided seats
speedygonzales

posted on 17/8/18 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
High sided vs low sided seats

Do any of you folks know if there is any benefit / disadvantage to having high or low sided GRP seats or is it down to pure personal preference.

They're for the Spire which will be for the road and track. I'm quite a big guy at 1.85m tall and a "40 waist. Don't know if I should factor this into any decision.

Any views from people that have lived with their seats for a while would be appreciated. I don't particularly want padding in the seat if I can help it.

I also like the look of these seats - has anyone got a pair that they can comment on how they feel / look in the flesh? It's difficult to tell from the website as the resolution isn't great.

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/fibreglass-race-seat-smooth-back-matt-finish-iva-compliant.html

”Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.” - Oprah Winfrey

pekwah1

posted on 17/8/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Might just depend on the width of your car and the seats, I bought jk composites for my striker which I think is the narrowest 7 you can get, they weren’t particularly high sides, but I found I needed to cut the sides down more to fit in my fat, much more comfortable now! And they’re still nice and snug, I’m definitely not going to move anywhere
Barksavon

posted on 17/8/18 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I would recommend sitting in one before buying if you can. I've got some Kirkey aluminium race seats in mine with high sides and they are a very 'snug' fit.
Don't get me wrong they really hold you in position well but I don't think there's much difference between fitting Snugly and being too small.
Hope that's useful.

speedygonzales

posted on 17/8/18 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally I would try before I buy but I don't know of any local events going where I'd be able to go and have a test fit. Stoneleigh was my best bet but I missed it this year.

”Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.” - Oprah Winfrey

martin500

posted on 17/8/18 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at JKComposites seats, I have a set in the Phoenix and very comfortable, I have just ordered another for my new Phoenix race car. If you click on the link to the sevens seats there are dimensions of the various seats so you can see if they are wide enough in the hip area etc.

Martin

40inches

posted on 17/8/18 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I started off with the highside, but cut them down to low side, now like this, LINK ,much better, far less faff with seat belts
I have never had padding in them, after 4000miles never will.

[Edited on 17-8-18 by 40inches]

speedygonzales

posted on 17/8/18 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've emailed jkcomposites - Thanks for the info as they do look like they have lots of different styles and sizes to try. I'm just waiting to see if they are working more local to me as I would prefer not to make the 6hr round trip out of choice.

Did the seats feel any different after you cut them down 40inches? Would be interested to know if you think they affected comfort or whether they still held you aswell? Didn't think of the seatbelt faff but it's a good point.

[Edited on 17/8/18 by speedygonzales]

40inches

posted on 17/8/18 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedygonzales
Did the seats feel any different after you cut them down 40inches? Would be interested to know if you think they affected comfort or whether they still held you aswell? Didn't think of the seatbelt faff but it's a good point.
[Edited on 17/8/18 by speedygonzales]

Didn't feel any different, apart from not sitting on the seatbelt buckle

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.