Board logo

Work Safe View
simonH - 24/11/04 at 03:52 PM

Please could you create a worksafe option for the forum that does not show avatars ?. some of the avatars although nice are causing me probs as my boss sits next to me.

DaveFJ - 24/11/04 at 04:21 PM

If you use mozilla you can select to not load graphics which may help

tools>options>web features>load images

or alternatively in IE

tools>internet options>advanced>show pictures (unticked)

HTH

David Jenkins - 24/11/04 at 04:31 PM

I just tried that - you don't get to see the grey/orange envelopes if you do that.

A 'no avatar' switch is one option - the other is to force a maximum image size. It wouldn't fix the problem, but would minimise the impact of the - er - 'more interesting' pictures.

David
(who sort-of suffers from the same difficulty occasionally)

ned - 24/11/04 at 04:41 PM

the way i see it there are several work sfae scenarios to bear in mind:

1.)you sit next to you boss/have an open plan office
2.)network traffic/web usage is monitored
3.)you really don't care what the boss/computer guys think
4.) you are your own boss/work from home/don't work
5.)other

I guess the most common one that could be addresses by a simple option in your profile that shows or hides avatar's is scenario 1.

Ned.

[Edited on 24/11/04 by ned]

phelpsa - 24/11/04 at 06:29 PM

I have to close the browser everytime a teacher walks past because of some of the avatars!

Adam

Hellfire - 24/11/04 at 07:30 PM

I think a little self policing may be called for...

JoelP - 24/11/04 at 07:33 PM

self policing used to work, but people have different ideas of what is good and bad. shame really - my lass has commented on a few of the more extreme ones!

Noodle - 1/12/04 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
I have to close the browser everytime a teacher walks past because of some of the avatars!

Adam

I am the teacher. I have to exercise extreme caution as the laptop may be hooked up to the projector.

Adam, if I caught you surfing in my class I'd have your Internet access revoked. Consider youself told.

Neil.

jestre - 18/11/05 at 12:23 PM

I know I'm bumping a really old thread. but could this be reviewed again?

I know about Firefox image blocking, But I don't want to block all sites. Most forum software allows avatar viewing to be turned off. could this be in option?

Gav - 18/11/05 at 02:33 PM

If it will help im more than happy to code this into the site if their are no mods that are available to do this.

@ ChrisW, if i can get a copy of the code base to this site management system and the DB would you be happy applying the patch? should be very small and easy patch to make.

Mix - 1/12/05 at 10:54 AM

My turn to bump the thread,
I too feel it's about time that there was either a facility to turn off the avatars or for some self policing of them. Some of the new Chrismas offerings are getting a bit too fruity for browsing at work.

Mick

Peteff - 1/12/05 at 11:19 AM

and adblock them, just a right click menu option.

Gav - 1/12/05 at 11:43 AM

only problem with doing that is you lose all images from the site, ie new posts, the background and banner.
is that the same option your thinking off?

as i said im happy to make a patch to allow users to turn avatars/sigs on/off i just needto know that ChrisW will be happy to apply it