Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: LCB: Post voting system
Irony

posted on 24/11/15 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
LCB: Post voting system

There are a lot of clever people of this site. But there are a few that are not so clever. For a newbie to engineering it is difficult to tell the two apart. Quite a lot of the time the 'not so clever' profess their opinion as gold as this can lead people to making wrong choices. This website is predominantly about building things so peoples replies always have a impact.

Is there anyway you can like or dislike a post? Or vote a reply as the best answer or give the post credit in some way? I think it would help.

I post quite a lot confirming what others have said so the OP takes note of one particular post. But I am far to polite to point out that another poster may be talking S%^T. Besides as we have all seen that saying someones wrong only starts a willy waving 'I am a better engineer than you, check out my CV, Brunel was my great Uncle, I once built a 25kg Pinto' shouting match that goes nowhere and makes the site look bad.

steve m

posted on 24/11/15 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I agree 100% ^^^

and have asked on numerous occasions, but all fell on deaf hears, or head in the sand mentality

what I have done is mentally block the retards, and don't even read their post, as 99% of the time they are talking out of their backside, or more annoyingly copying direct off google, that results in a public spat, that annoys all of us

Thankfully for every self opinionated retard, theres 10000 real decent members of this site

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
It would be useful, however would you vote against entries or the total post?

and how do you stop the bullish ones voting against each other, I am afraid it's a hiding to nothing

Sam_68

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
You've already raised this on Russ' 'Arument' thread, and I suggested a solution over there that has already been implemented and works very well on other forums (notably the Australian version of this one).

I think it's a good idea, but there's only one person around here whose opinion matters, and that's the guy who runs the site and would need to implement it.

You need to talk to the organ grinder, not the numerous monkeys.

r1_pete

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
It is worrying when you see inexperienced people taking the wrong advice.

Must admit I now try to only answer where I have specific experience, and have tried to steer people via U2U when the willy waving starts.

Its a shame because when I 1st joined, ideas got exchanged and solutions developed from differing viewpoints, which is one of the things which set the community here apart.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen it on another technical site I use and it tends to boil down to a few things; 1) A facebook style 'like' system where people just upvote anything they agree with, which leads to 2) Upvote hunters, people who just post inane populist rubbish in every single thread to try to get more upvotes than anyone else which just causes threads to be filled with more useless guff, which leads to 3) People who post useless guff being validated with upvotes and so starting to believe there own hype and posting yet more guff.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Sam_68

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ Fair point.
Smoking Frog

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
The idea of anonymous vote will be abused as Mark pointed out, but it would be better than nothing.
Sam_68

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't have to be anonymous; although I guess that risks 'cliques' and 'gangs' forming, and personal vendettas developing.

A 'dislike' button would help balance the 'upvote hunter' problem, but I guess could similarly worsen issues of malicious 'sniping' and attempted bullying that already exist.

On balance, it could cause at least as many problems as it would solve?

benchmark51

posted on 24/11/15 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a giffgaffer after kudos! When you ask for and recieve advice, you have to remember you are getting someone elses opinion. You may get many opinions to your question, who knows the best advice may come from someone who hasn't got a willy, but it is your choice in the end.
Irony

posted on 24/11/15 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
Sounds like a giffgaffer after kudos! When you ask for and recieve advice, you have to remember you are getting someone elses opinion. You may get many opinions to your question, who knows the best advice may come from someone who hasn't got a willy, but it is your choice in the end.

I honestly don't know what the solution is but I know its difficult to sift through the poor info to the jems. I look at what the people have actually built themselves, I check photo archives to see what they have built. I knew zero when I built my car. Literally zero. I went at least 6 months without realising that the chassis is earthed and thats the same as the negative side of the battery. Now having built a car from the crank up to being on the road and IVA'd I consider myself to know 'something but not a lot'. Even I spot people who spout rubbish all the time.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.