Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodyshop taken my car for a "drive"
ChrisW

posted on 22/3/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Bodyshop taken my car for a "drive"

Background to the story, my RS6 has been in the bodyshop for the last two weeks after an old duffer scuffed the rear door by not looking where he's going.

This morning the tracking system goes mental. Seems the car has been taken up and down the road outside the bodyshop, twice, accelerating hard both times. Basically they've taken it out and razzed it up and down the road outside a couple of times.

Engine was running for two minutes before the acceleration alert so it's been done from cold.

Keep in mind this is an Audi RS6 so not exactly run of the mill.

I've rung the bodyshop and spoken to the manager, who says they had to take it for a test drive because they had repaired the rear wheel. The second time was apparently the first guy heard wind noise from the rear so asked the mechanic to take it out too. This would be fair I guess if it was just a gentle drive but the data suggests that it was given a foot full.

Of course I drive it like that too, but it's my car and I certainly don't do it from cold.

I'm pretty annoyed about this. Is that justified? What do you think I should ask the bodyshop to do to remedy the situation?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Carbonman

posted on 22/3/13 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris, sorry to hijack the post but you should have a U2U.

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
eddie99

posted on 22/3/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Get on their case, i had a similar experience but in my case they crashed it. Not acceptable as far as im aware.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
wylliezx9r

posted on 22/3/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
My question would be : how exactly can they repair a rear wheel ? Sounds like hogg wash to me and they just fancied a blast.

I think your annoyance is totally justified, your car has gone in for a body repair not to be "road tested".

ATB Dan

[Edited on 22/3/13 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

ReMan

posted on 22/3/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I can understand you being annoyed Chris, I would be. But as far as being able to attribute any tangible loss to this, is going to be difficult, therefore so would any reccompense.
Body shop is not somewhere you want to be often is it? So it's not like you want to arrange your next repair for free!

Notch it up to experience and make it known you will recommend they are not used is about it I think.
Unless they pull something out of the bag as a peace offering, bouquet of flowers or box of chocs

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

MikeRJ

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Someone on PH went to pick up his GT86 after a warranty repair that took two weeks, only to find it had over 250 miles extra on the clock! All he got was an apology from the dealership.

Personally I don't trust any main dealers. There must be some good ones I suppose (and equally some terrible independents), but incompetence and lying do seem to be their most exercised skills.

balidey

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Walk into his office and without asking start using his PC, or phone, or coffee machine.
Just to make a point.
make sure as many customers notice too.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I would tell them you have seen the tracking device report, and explain that you're not happy with their actions - like you said, not warming the car up, thrashing it etc..

Big case in Essex recently where Quik Fit employee took out customs' Porsche, without express permission, and killed a child.

What they think is just a bit of "harmless fun" isn't always seen that way....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

chillis

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
You've clearly caught them red handed and their excuse doesn't wash. A test drive yes - caning it up and down outside their premises no - its not going to find wind noise or an issue with a wheel. You should expect compensation in the form of a reduced bill and if its through the insurance company you should inform them as this is not acceptable service.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

richardm6994

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Name and shame the bodyshop and then email the manager a link to this thread so that he can see the number of people who will have viewed your post!

[Edited on 22/3/13 by richardm6994]

whitestu

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Does the tracker tell you what speed it reached? To hear any body related wind noise you would need to be doing over 50 or maybe even 60 MPH.

Well out of order but I bet it happens a lot.

Stu

ChrisW

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Average 62mph.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn1137

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing new but sickening all the same. Total lack of respect.

I agree with others there is not much you can do except show your disgust in the usual ways.

I believe you live not far from Aylesbury like me, if they are local I would appreciate a U2U if you don't broadcast their details on here. I can add then to my blacklist.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Do 'em Chris!! There's too much of this garbage goes on. I always make a note of mileage if I ever take a car in and maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't trust a garage I've not used before until they earn it.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

martyn1137

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Report it to the Police as taken without your authority - aka stolen!
JC

posted on 22/3/13 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I had something similar years ago. I had a dreadfully awful fiesta 1.6S - the first new car I ever owned! On one of the many occasions that it went back to the ford stealer, as my sister drove me in to work, I saw the car parked outside the local bank!!! I went straight over and demanded to see my car, but they too were unrepentant saying it needed a test drive and they thought they would kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

I too would go in to them when they are busy and make as big and loud a fuss as possible and wait for them to cringe and give up!!!

BenB

posted on 22/3/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
What's the speed limit on the road they're on. You could report them to the police for TWOC and breaking the speed limit in your car. And if I was being mean report them to MIB because (seeing as they didn't have your permission) the insurance they will have used to drive your vehicle is officially void.

Quite clearly the "manager" is feeding you BS. There's no need to go for a full-throttle blast in that circumstance and they know it. I'd just do the broken record thing and keep on asking why they did it until they gave a reasonable excuse (IE cos they could) and then ask them what they're going to do about it.

Proby

posted on 22/3/13 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Gggrrrrrrr. This takes the piss, I would want an answer, and not some BS about a road test. This was blatant abuse of your car.

Visit GraphicMonster

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/13 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
Name and shame the bodyshop and then email the manager a link to this thread so that he can see the number of people who will have viewed your post!

[Edited on 22/3/13 by richardm6994]

yeah quite right nothing worse than bad publicity and mention you run the forum

I spotted my JBA falcon years ago being driven around the country side when it was meant to be getting an MOT, did just put it down to them being cheaky buggers plus they did rally cars so I reckond they knew how to drive it safely so never brought it up with them, though they did manage to rip off the exhaust putting it on the ramp and fixed it too

DarrenW

posted on 22/3/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Average 62mph.

Chris

Is it safe to assume this is an average of 62mph in a 30 zone? Isnt that illegal? Might be worth showing the data to the manager and let him have a think about what he intends to do. Surely such evidence would be of interest to the Police. i dont think i would actually tell the Police, but it would make the bodyshop think seriously about their policies.

balidey

posted on 22/3/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Local papers love stories like this, especially on a quiet news day.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

edsco

posted on 22/3/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with DarrenW. Average of 62mph......in a 30 zone. Illegal. Make em squirm using that as a bargaining chip for a reduced bill i'd say. The fact you have data to back it up is all that matters. It does not lie. They might, but the data doesn't.

A car that has gone in for some body repair does NOT require a test drive. Was the job so poor they were worried the paint might slip off in the wind?!!!!

edsco

pewe

posted on 22/3/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Name and shame, Chris - about the only satisfaction you'll get!
Sorry to say that they'll probably continue to bullshit their way out of it.

Had a similar situation years ago when I owned a Thema Turbo.
Booked it into a Lancia dealer near Iver for a service.
Dropped the car off first thing and asked for a lift to the station - "Sorry but no-one available".
So I walked to the station and as I sat on the train in the station my car pulled up at the nearby newsagents, one of their mechanics gets out , strolls into the shop , buys his fags and newspaper, drives off!
Needless to say I gave the receptionist a bollocking when I picked it up but had it explained to me that they "needed the car hot to drain the oil out properly"!!!

Cheers, Pewe10

nick205

posted on 22/3/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Was the repair done via your insurer Chris?

If so, that would be my first call. Most bodyshops rely on insurer fed work and the threat of losing it will be a wake up call. Next up tackle the manager and his staff head on with the tracking data and do it face to face on front of customers.

If they broke the speed limit I'd have no qualms about reporting to the police either.

Let's face it, they wouldn't have done it a Mondeo would they, it's not acceptable.

theduck

posted on 22/3/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of this

http://youtu.be/SZbQ_KOGBcQ

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.