Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: forum reader app?
Hodor

posted on 2/2/15 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
forum reader app?

Aye up, I use my phone and tablet to browse this forum and it's sometimes a bit fiddly and there is always a load of resizing and scrolling required to get around, especially posting (personal post count almost into double digits now).

Does anyone use an Android app to read and post on the forum?

Slimy38

posted on 2/2/15 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I don't believe there is one, it was queried a while back but it would need a significant amount of effort (and cost?) to move to something like tapatalk or similar.

I have to admit I do struggle on the phone so I tend to just read on the phone and write on the PC.

Hodor

posted on 2/2/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I see. I tried downloading a few but couldn't point them in this direction. If I find anything I'll report back.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/2/15 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
No. Chris never saw the point in it. So you won't find one

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

kingster996

posted on 2/2/15 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
it's a real pity. Using my phone now and it is utterly pants compared to other forums.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/2/15 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have no issues reading from my phone. Although I am using an iPhone 6+ so it's a little easier lol

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

garyo

posted on 3/2/15 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I use a galaxy note and it's still awkward. I keep meaning to install tamper monkey so that you can doctor the site CSS to doctor various aspects of the page layout to make it more suitable for mobile, but it's one of those jobs that's always middle of the list.
loggyboy

posted on 3/2/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
No issue on a Samung S4 mini or Tab2 10.1, both running chrome.

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 3/2/15 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

My S2 on Chrome has a hissy fit when I try and write posts, the fonts go really big and combined with the on screen keyboard I can see about half a dozen words at a time.

Hodor

posted on 3/2/15 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yip, I get the same on my S3. Everyone round about me can see what I'm writing, from across the other side of the room.
loggyboy

posted on 3/2/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I do get the text appearing slightly larger, but it it doesnt make much difference.

Mistral Motorsport

kingster996

posted on 3/2/15 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

It's not that there are any issues as such, it's just that the site's html and css are so outdated that it is displayed poorly. I hate reading posts on my Galaxy S4 (chrome) and it's not a lot better on an iPad (safari). The site only really works on a desktop - and eben then if someone posts a huge pic, then the text can become miniscule. The code behind all of this is just very old and unfriendly. Otherwise it's a great site I might add!

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/15 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I use a few forums, and ones recently been updated and the options and functions are immense, but its due to it being a popular site with a large subscribing membership so can afford lots of storage and fees.

Mistral Motorsport

Hodor

posted on 3/2/15 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
There is a danger of pissing off the site creator which is the last thing anyone wants, so just to clarify, none of the above was criticism from my side. I just was interested to know if there was an alternate viewer. Does it cost to put a site on tapatalk?
coozer

posted on 3/2/15 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I use my lenova tablet for bruising and posting no problem. Site displays ok on my tiny HTC windows phone but its a pain to post with. I think its the phone and crap data connection thats to blame. Only use the PC if I'm posting pics.

I like this site for mobile devices because theres no rubbish mobile version. I detest the mobile versions! If I'm browsing with the tablet i always click the request desktop site.

Trying to find a LG G2 cheap enough to see if I can improve my mobile experience.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

kingster996

posted on 3/2/15 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, but lets compare the two forums I use most, here and WSCC:

Here on a galaxy s4 - which is a pretty decent phone for surfing on

WSCC

The problem with this site is it is too difficult to use on a mobile compared to what is pretty 'normal' now.

I do understand that Chris W will have to do a lot of work to change it - and that he has no doubt put in a load of time over the years - but it really is in need of a revamp.

But at the end of the day, this place is so useful and full of info, I'd rather have it like it is than not at all!

Alfa145

posted on 3/2/15 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
My use of the forum has declined due to poor mobile display. Most forums have mobile skins built in or responsive designs for various screen sizes. They aren't expensive to buy either.

The forum used by WSCC is $175 initial fee then $25 every 6 months. So a very minimal cost which includes mobile support and many other useful features.

The problem is transferring all the old content and users over from one forum to the other. That would take the investment of a big chunk of time from Chris and I imagine that wont happen. So the only way this will go is down hill

kingster996

posted on 3/2/15 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Transfer of data wouldn't be a massive task.. I could write the sql needed - do this sort of thing as my day job.

Also there are enough regular users on here who would pay a sub just like i do on wscc. That would easily cover the cost.

Bottom line is it is up to Chris.

However as i said I'd rather have the forum as it is than lose it altogether.

ChrisW

posted on 2/3/15 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately this is far from straight forward. The two big issues are that the forum software is so old that it is not supported by the migration tools any more, and even if it were the code and database schema has been hacked about so much that the tools would never work. I would be a massive effort to migrate all the old data which is where I see much of the value is in the site.

I appreciate the mobile issue is a headache for some. I also know that the site design is far from up to date and some functionality could be significantly improved with modern web technology. I would love to fix it all, but the effort involved would be absolutely massive which is why it hasn't happened.

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hodor

posted on 2/3/15 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris for answering. So by sometime next week is fine.
steve m

posted on 2/3/15 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have no PC knowledge at all, and I know chris does,

Is there any way of converting this page into a text only page, for an App to work
so no fancy graphics, etc

only an idea

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

McLannahan

posted on 2/3/15 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I have no PC knowledge at all, and I know chris does,

Is there any way of converting this page into a text only page, for an App to work
so no fancy graphics, etc

only an idea

steve

There's the printable view Steve? Top right of the page but looks like this...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?fid=18&tid=196217&action=printable

Irony

posted on 2/3/15 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Site is fine for browsing on my HTC phone and my tablet.
Hodor

posted on 5/3/15 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

There's the printable view Steve? Top right of the page but looks like this...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?fid=18&tid=196217&action=printable

Didn't know this function existed, thanks. Much better view for me with long and pic heavy threads, like this one:

printable version

Navigation of the site isn't there of course, but is easier to read

theduck

posted on 5/3/15 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've also navigated on my iphone4 without any issue. You have to scroll a bit, but it works fine.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.