Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic minivan fuel tank pickup pipe - problem
sooty

posted on 2/7/17 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Classic minivan fuel tank pickup pipe - problem

For some time wanting to find why when my fuel gauge shows half full, I have to refuel or run-out.

Recent replaced the sender unit and it appears to be no better meaning the old unit was ok.

Siphoned the tank again and removed the sender to check the pickup pipe, but this cannot be seen because of a baffle between the sender and pickup.

On refilling the tank with approx 2 galls the electric pump would not pick the fuel, but with 4 galls it did.

Before I drain the tank again, anyone know if the pick pipe can be removed from the tank.

Sylva Striker
2.0ltr Silvertop Zetec on 45 Webers with Megajolt V3

britishtrident

posted on 2/7/17 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
If your gauge and sender are electrically compatible you need to bend the wire float arm upwards 50 to 75 mm or so

[Edited on 2/7/17 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sooty

posted on 2/7/17 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If your gauge and sender are electrically compatible you need to bend the wire float arm upwards 50 to 75 mm or so

[Edited on 2/7/17 by britishtrident]

Thanks, but that dont sort my problem having to refuel when everytime 2 galls is used when the tank holds 4 galls and I cant use it..

The fuel pickup pipe seems to be not picking up fuel below half full.

Sylva Striker

obfripper

posted on 3/7/17 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
The pickup pipe is welded into the tank, with the outlet threaded into a boss on the outside of the tank.
It should pick up from the depression in the bottom of the tank.
It does sound like the pipe has a crack in it, so while under the fuel level will draw fuel, but when above will draw air instead.
I think you may need to blank off the original pickup, and make one that goes through the sender face, iirc the depression in the tank for the pickup is located on the centre baffle, so could be used with an alternative pickup from the sender side.

Dave

britishtrident

posted on 3/7/17 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
ISTR the outlet is a plain spigot are you sure you don't have a tank vent isssue?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sooty

posted on 6/7/17 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
The pickup pipe is welded into the tank, with the outlet threaded into a boss on the outside of the tank.
It should pick up from the depression in the bottom of the tank.
It does sound like the pipe has a crack in it, so while under the fuel level will draw fuel, but when above will draw air instead.
I think you may need to blank off the original pickup, and make one that goes through the sender face, iirc the depression in the tank for the pickup is located on the centre baffle, so could be used with an alternative pickup from the sender side.

Dave

Thanks, yeah great idea. I recall seeing some older models having the pickup within the sender unit.
I guess the tank connection is a BSP thread as it has a hexagon head on the male fitting to the rubber hose or could it be NPT, so I could get a plug for that.

britishtrident:

No as the filler cap is vented

Sylva Striker

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.