Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Weight Distribution Calculator
huwcdavies

posted on 14/5/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Weight Distribution Calculator

Hello,

I'm Huw and I run the site www.racingaspirations.com. I wanted to post this update to the Weight Distribution calculator as this forum regularly refers traffic my way. It's a drag and drop calculator which is easy to use and quick to get results. I hope it proves useful to you if you're starting off your build or even if you're looking to change things on your existing build...

The new calculator offers the following enhancements over it's predecessor:

• More Workspace - 4.5 times more workspace than before to be precise.
  • Sharing - As before, you can share a link back to your project but now you can also embed the results in your website or forum.
  • Unlimited Objects - Not only is there now a ballast object but any number of objects can be added to your project so you can have two engines, two driven axles and four passengers if you wish.
  • CoG and Corner Weights - They're displayed right there on the workspace.
  • Selectable Plans - You now place your objects on a vehicle plan which you can change to represent your own vehicle.
  • Room for Improvement - This is one of the new breed of calculators offered by racingaspirations.com with scope built in to enhance the functionality without needed to go back to the drawing board.

Click the link below to be directed to the Weight Distribution Calculator loaded with some sample data.

I hope you find this calculator a useful addition to your toolkit and would like to remind you if you haven't already done so to register yourself on the site.

Regards,
Huw

coozer

posted on 14/5/13 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome, very handy app there, wish I'd had it while I pondered best position for the battery!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

maccmike

posted on 14/5/13 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
no trikes
huwcdavies

posted on 14/5/13 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
no trikes

Interesting thought. In the meantime if you total the rear left and right it'll give you the weight on the single rear tyre.

I found this interesting link about trike weight distribution:
http://www.deferredprocrastination.co.uk/blog/2010/the-golden-rule-of-trike-design/

If you follow that rule and place an object one third of the way along the wheelbase you do get a relatively even distribution:
http://www.racingaspirations.com/weight-distribution-calculator?cX=5&uX=mm&wX=kgs&oX=$o_Ohf|100000|192.01|124.99&END

Huw

maccmike

posted on 14/5/13 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
interesting, cheers
huwcdavies

posted on 22/5/13 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I've updated the calculator in response to some of the feedback I've received. No 3 wheelers yet though

• Moment of inertia - The lateral and longitudinal moments of inertia are displayed within the calculator
  • Right to left bias - This has been added within the calculator's bounds
  • Front to rear bias - This has been added within the calculator's bounds
  • Switchable analysis layers - The corner weights as well as any of the above can be switched between by pressing on the multi colored analysis bar at the top of the calculator
  • More precise rounding - Better rounding of values at the correct places within the calculator code has resulted in far better precision
  • More components - You can now add the wheels to represent unsprung weight and there is a special CoG object that allows you add the total weight of the vehicle before or after the components have been added

By way of example I've included links to the analysis of my car as it was at Brands Hatch:

Weight Distribution Calculator

I hope you find this calculator a useful addition to your toolkit and would like to remind you if you haven't already done so to register yourself on the site.

Texan

posted on 22/5/13 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
It seems a bit awkward that nothing attaches or touches each other. Look at your transmission & engine.

I drive therefore I am.

huwcdavies

posted on 29/5/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

This has been noted on another forum as well. That's something I've added to my todo list - to work on the visualisations of the components once they are placed within the car.

Thanks for your feedback.

Huw

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.