Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dartford Crossing
wombat

posted on 10/1/15 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Dartford Crossing

Morning, off to Gatwick at silly o'clock in the morning from Cambridge direction, last year got caught out when the M11 was closed overnight (numpty didn't check..) After the diversion signs ran out or had been moved, my sense of direction went NO ! Did a quick u turn and needed a slightly cough.. Illegal high speed dash cross country to pick up A1S, arrived just in time. good job i always take my dear departed dad's advice and allow plenty of time..
So the AA site says stationary traffic on bridge heading South and I see some roadworks, RAC show its only Northbound overnight.
I know several of you guys live work nearby, so what's the craic?
Oh and I have booked my toll charge already Thx to overhearing a conversation in the pub.
Wombat

russbost

posted on 10/1/15 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
They are still demolishing toll booths I believe & I think the work goes on all the time, not just overnight, I've not been thro' very recently, but b4 Xmas they had a sort of chicane where you go thro' the toll booth area. I wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem overnight at silly o'clock, can only suggest check traffic websites b4 you leave.
I always find Frixo very good (frixo.com) seems to be a lot more up to date than the AA site usually is.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly who's using the crossing more frequently - if it looks disastrous you can always go anti clock round the m25

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
will121

posted on 10/1/15 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I've been over 4 times at weekends since the toll booths have been removed and its been so much quicker, there were still works on going but didn't cause much delay, just make sure you pay online before you go! (or by midnight following day) and check there are no specific additional works tonight
Surrey Dave

posted on 10/1/15 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I used the crossing a few weeks ago , there were hold ups traveling north because the toll booths were being worked on and they only had 2 lanes open, but traveling south no probs.
bi22le

posted on 10/1/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I live within a 2 miles of them and last used them Thursday.

They are working all of the time and traffic is overall very good and clear. The first week of the new system going anti clockwise was a shambles. Delays far worse than normal I think possibly due to rubber necking the impressive looking diggers and people being stupid at the barriers.

The works that are going on seem to not just be a case of taking out the barriers, they are changing the road layout and flow as a whole. I cant see why they would want to completely close one direction over night but if they were going to then weekend nights would be when.

I would say your going to be fine southbound, most of the work is currently on the other side and you have no barriers clockwise.

Check their website to make sure there are no planned closures and if so, you will be fine.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

talkingcars

posted on 10/1/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I used it yesterday, north bound at 3pm and south at about 6pm, no delays, especially south bound.

I set up an account as I do use it quite often, they hold a minimum of £10 but it's cheaper than a fine, and the charge per crossing is less.

You can avoid the Dartford crossing by using Blackwell. Stay on the M11, pick up the North Circular, on to the A12 to the tunnel and then the A2 on the south, normally takes about 5 minutes longer and is about 5 miles further.

wombat

posted on 10/1/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, really helpful as always. Now for steak n chips, red wine and a few hours kip.
Thx again

Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/1/15 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's also free after 10pm and before 6am

I use it everyday and it's much much better

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.