Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bench vice question
locoboy

posted on 3/1/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Bench vice question

I only have a small work area in my garage now and whilst I like to have the use of a vice every now and then for basic vice like duties nothing heavy duty mind, just genreal holding stiff whilst it's cut off, welded , heated etc.

Now with a small bench space I don't want a vice on there all the time as it will make a portion of the bench unusable for everyday assembly, laying out, drawing duties etc.

Does anyone have any smart ideas for making a vice 'quick release', quick enough that you will actually attach it to the bench to use it for a small cut off job and the like, rather than cut off the end of a bit of steel across your knee......along with the inevitable associated risks, whilst sat in A&E thinking you shouldn't have done that!

Thanks
Col

ATB
Locoboy

gremlin1234

posted on 3/1/16 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
simply hold it down with m10 bolts and wing nuts.
though old woodworking vices actually clamped to the edge of the bench

joneh

posted on 3/1/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Something similar to bonnet pin catches, but mounted upside down? Might need to put a thread into the vice to mount some studs.
Slimy38

posted on 3/1/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I actually use a cheap workmate as a general table, clamp, vice etc. Sure they burn quite well if they're holding metal being welded, but for £10-£15 from literally hundreds of places they're considered disposable. Two of them work well in tandem for cutting pieces off 3 metre lengths.

Anything substantial I actually clamp to the chassis using g clamps.

coozer

posted on 3/1/16 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one bolted to the garage floor half way where I park the tin top... Very handy for cutting long bits of steel and other general stuff.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Adamirish

posted on 3/1/16 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
You could always buy/ make a stand for the vice. Takes up very little space and always there should you need it.

Edit. Something like this.

[Edited on 3/1/16 by Adamirish]

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

gremlin1234

posted on 3/1/16 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
before I got a decent workbench, we mounted a vice on an approx 10 inch square 3/4 ply, with a piece of 2x2 below it, and dropped that into a 'workmate' when required.
r1_pete

posted on 3/1/16 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
How about a leg vice, you could wing nut it to the bench, and the leg is on the floor for rigidity.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 4/1/16 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Bolts and wing nuts underneath seem the best approach to me.

My vice is bolted to the edge of my bench in the garage and I have other holes ready to take screws to hold other items like a drilling fixture used once in a while.

nickm

posted on 4/1/16 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have a good size vice but have never fastened it to the bench its own weight keeps it on the surface. Its fine for hacksaw/drilling etc.

Nick M

trextr7monkey

posted on 4/1/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt it to a long board then nip on the bench with some ratchet clamps. We do this with a series of router tables and it works fine.
Saw a great idea on Pinte rest where a grinder was on a fold down flap to keep bench tidy, they also had a circular table with 3 or 4 machines on and it rolled left and right on castors

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

minibull

posted on 5/1/16 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is fastened to the bench with g clamps. I forgot to buy bolts when I got it, and needed it immediately. Works fine so never had a compelling reason to fit it permanently.
RedAvon

posted on 8/1/16 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=1txabw7ib#/watch?v=pVjkwH3GugI

Another idea here.

Ian

Bricoleur

DIY Si

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just how big does the vice need to be? If it's nothing too large, I'd go with one or two Imp vices:

There one on Ebay for £10, currently. eBay Item

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

jacko

posted on 11/1/16 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.raygrahams.com/products/131380-bolt-on-anti-loose-fastener-bolt-3-inch.aspx

how about two of these, two holes in the bench and bolt the nut end to the vice drop the anti loose though the holes in the bench bobs your uncle

Thinking about it you could make a pedestal and then you could fit a vice on it or a bench grinder fixing them with anti loose
jacko

[Edited on 11/1/16 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.