Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend a sporty petrol estate
Toprivetguns

posted on 14/4/17 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend a sporty petrol estate

I'm not a fan of diesel, which leaves me with very little chioce these days, which is a shame.

I've been looking at the Skoda Octavia VRS and Ford Focus ST. Apart from these two, you can't get much in the sub 13k area, unless it's a Audi with +100k

A C43 AMG would be nice, but trying to find a minter is near on impossible.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

StevieB

posted on 14/4/17 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Might be hard to find a good one now, but I had a Saab 9-3 Aero Sportwagon which was great to drive - very comfortable, practical enough and was decent enough for a FWD car.

Did they do a petrol turbo version the Volvo V60?

femster87

posted on 14/4/17 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a volvo v60. I have a D4 and it is a pretty good fun. The petrol equivalent T4 (187bhp) T5 (251 bhp) should suit the bill. Very comfortable cars. Was surprised how much cheaper than the audi/bmw/mercedes alternatives
Paul M

posted on 14/4/17 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Octavia VRS gets a big thumbs up from me, currently got a 184 brake diesel DSG - fabulous car , huge capacity, limo like ride, fabulous VW interior, and quick as stink when it needs to be - got swap it for a Golf GT 150 DSG next month and really dont want to , that's a helluva turnaround, I'm old enough to remember when you made jokes about Skoda's having heated rear windows to keep your hands warm when you had to push them - now a Golf 150 GT is a step down for me. !

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

Sam_68

posted on 14/4/17 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I had an Octavia vRS estate from new to over 100K miles, a few years ago - it was a really solid, competent car, if a little dull and stodgy.

My money would be on a late, low-mileage Saab 9-5 Aero, though: I had a 9-5 diesel estate at the same time as my boss had an Aero, and they were both nice, comfortable cars.

You probably won't see more than 28mpg out of either the Octavia or the 9-5, though.

Slimy38

posted on 14/4/17 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Might be hard to find a good one now, but I had a Saab 9-3 Aero Sportwagon which was great to drive - very comfortable, practical enough and was decent enough for a FWD car.

I was going to say the same, I'm currently having great fun with a 9-3 Aero, 210bhp from the standard two litre petrol but very easy to add another 50 on to that with a couple of hundred squid. The diesel versions are similarly spirited, a bit more expensive but (in my humble opinion) much less reliable.

If you have 10k ish to spend, you can have a V6 turbo petrol version that is really good fun, and there is also an AWD version that is basically nuts, but you're getting pretty rare at that point.

[Edited on 14/4/17 by Slimy38]

Hodor

posted on 14/4/17 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
The wife used to have a mk1 octavo vrs and I hated it. Only felt moderately fast (compared to my client 172 at the time) and really crap handling, like on stilts. Big boot though. Now she had an audi a3 1.8T and I'm not overly keen on it either. It's ok but the road noise is unbelievably bad on the 18 inch alloys, a bit better when it has its 16 inch winter tyres on. Handles a lot better than the skoda did though, probably just needs more beans to make it a good car.

I have a 2003 saab 9-3 aero. I really like it, can pick its skirt up when needed and is soo comfy. Only real problem is that is a 14 year old car, so window regulators, ignition modules, heating fan, secondary air pump, lock mechanisms etc regularly roll over and die. Ebay is your friend however.

None of this is really relevant though as none of these cars are what you are looking for. I'd go with a bmw e60 535i manual saloon.

roadrunner

posted on 14/4/17 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Audi A6 Avant v6 supercharged. Cost meŁ10,000 7 months ago. Yeah, it's done 100k but with a large engine and an automatic gearbox, it won't have been thrashed.
Plus, when I decide to get it mapped it will have 450bhp from 290 with a pulley upgrade.😀

[Edited on 14/4/17 by roadrunner]

adithorp

posted on 15/4/17 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Volvo v50. Mines the 2.4 5cyl n/a but there is a t5. Under the skin it's a Focus so the t5 will be same as the at focus.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

james h

posted on 15/4/17 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I've a Mk 1 Octavia vRS which I'm selling at the moment. Probably a bit old (2005) and high mileage (140k) for you though!

I've found it to be a very competent all rounder - enough pace to overtake with ease, huge boot and reasonable economy (35+ mpg at 80mph on the motorway). It has bi-xenons, cruise control and parking sensors as well as a 6CD changer, so fairly well equipped.

I would say its NVH isn't too great and it does sometimes feel a little tinny.

But overall its been a good workhorse for lugging stuff around and long trips to Le Mans!

wylliezx9r

posted on 15/4/17 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
I have an Audi A6 Avant v6 supercharged. Cost meŁ10,000 7 months ago. Yeah, it's done 100k but with a large engine and an automatic gearbox, it won't have been thrashed.
Plus, when I decide to get it mapped it will have 450bhp from 290 with a pulley upgrade.😀

Out of interest, which particular model is this ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Sam_68

posted on 15/4/17 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
The wife used to have a mk1 octavo vrs and I hated it. Only felt moderately fast (compared to my client 172 at the time) and really crap handling, like on stilts.

Yes, these are fair critiscms; mine was a Mk. 2 (so more powerful: 200bhp. vs. 178bhp for the Mk. 1), but whilst it was reasonably brisk, it wasn't as quick as the Seat Leon Cupra that had preceded it.

And yes, the handling is a bit stodgy... but on the other hand it was infinitely more comfortable than the Audis that all my colleagues were driving at the time. The bump-thump of the stiff suspension on the Audis used to drive me nuts on the motorway.

Depends what you want from it, though: it's comfortable, capacious and pretty quick load-lugger that is very comfortable for long journeys, and mine was literally faultless in over 100K miles of motoring. It's not a sports car or even a hot hatchback, though - perhaps a little unfair to compare it to something as raw as a Clio 172!

Hodor

posted on 15/4/17 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
The wife used to have a mk1 octavo vrs and I hated it. Only felt moderately fast (compared to my client 172 at the time) and really crap handling, like on stilts.

Yes, these are fair critiscms; mine was a Mk. 2 (so more powerful: 200bhp. vs. 178bhp for the Mk. 1), but whilst it was reasonably brisk, it wasn't as quick as the Seat Leon Cupra that had preceded it.

And yes, the handling is a bit stodgy... but on the other hand it was infinitely more comfortable than the Audis that all my colleagues were driving at the time. The bump-thump of the stiff suspension on the Audis used to drive me nuts on the motorway.

Depends what you want from it, though: it's comfortable, capacious and pretty quick load-lugger that is very comfortable for long journeys, and mine was literally faultless in over 100K miles of motoring. It's not a sports car or even a hot hatchback, though - perhaps a little unfair to compare it to something as raw as a Clio 172!

Yip, I'd agree with all that. It was me that chose it in the first place, so I've only myself to blame! Same with the audi. You're right about the stiff suspension on the audi, ok when you want to chuck it around a bit, but that only accounts for 5% of its time on the road.

mark chandler

posted on 15/4/17 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a lot of BMW for that amount of money, big 6's and V8's.
Toprivetguns

posted on 15/4/17 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the input Gents. The Volvo, Saab and Skoda are all strong contenders.

roadrunner

posted on 15/4/17 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner

Out of interest, which particular model is this ?

It's the face lift c6 model. Cracking car.

morcus

posted on 16/4/17 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
GM sold a Cadillac version of the Saab 9-3 called the BLS which when I was looking seemed to be cheaper when they came up and there was a v6 turbo.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/17 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
well that's me just got a Volvo V60 lux version 66k full service history and in mint condition from a dealer at just Ł4700, the estates are a bit more price wise but superb quality and loads of power. I'm a big fan of these cars.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 24/4/17 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Jap and make a big saving?

http://www.quayvehiclesolutions.com/used-cars/subaru-legacy-cwmbran-201703113183279

http://www.goodmayesmotors.co.uk/used-car-nissan-stagea-ar-x-four-4wd-25i-v6-turbo-1689

swanny

posted on 24/4/17 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
one of these?
Toprivetguns

posted on 24/4/17 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
What year is it? Absolute bargain.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
well that's me just got a Volvo V60 lux version 66k full service history and in mint condition from a dealer at just Ł4700, the estates are a bit more price wise but superb quality and loads of power. I'm a big fan of these cars.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.