Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ali sheet - spec, amount & suppliers?
Mike Wood

posted on 25/4/20 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ali sheet - spec, amount & suppliers?

Hi

Any suggestions or recommendations please for suppliers of aluminium sheet in Central/West/SW Scotland or can deliver here (either now or under more normal situations)? Metals4U keeps popping up on the internet, anyone else? Aalco?

Old days I would be thinking of British Alcan or one of the Ayrshire stockholders.

I am looking to panel my Locost book chassis (already has a steel floor) in the standard manner.

Also am I correct I will need:
aluminium sheet commercial grade, modern equivalent to NS4 'half hard' grade (5251) and 18SWG thickness - 1050 H14 grade and 1.219mm thick?
And three 8" x 4" sheets of this (2,500mm x 1,250mm)?

Anyone got a sketch please of a cutting plan to maximise efficiency of material use? (any grain issues with cutting?)

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 25/4/20 by Mike Wood]

wonderfulweasel

posted on 25/4/20 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I recently used metals 4u and was happy with their service.

I previously used Mallard Metals and was delighted with them, but not sure if they're still trading at the moment.

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/4/20 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/aluminium

Been a very happy customer, used a few times for work stuff (handrail systems mainly) and always add a few extras for the garage. Great service, they cut to size etc too, usually free (dead handy when I needed 25 x750mm 12mm steel pins, would have been a pain to do with a grinder!)

christim

posted on 25/4/20 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for themetalstore
I'm only a few miles away from them so often collect but they do delivery too

tweek

posted on 27/4/20 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Metals4u from me.

Don't know how competitive they are on price but they have a good range and the service has always been good.

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

Mike Wood

posted on 23/5/20 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the help.

My question on what is the modern spec of the aluminium sheet was a bit mangled. Can I please confirm that the correct specification of 1.2mm thick aluminium sheet for Locost chassis panelling is commercial grade aluminium sheet to 5251 H22 specification? And this is the modern equivalent of NS4 H3?

Cheers
Mike

SJ

posted on 23/5/20 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Another recommendation for metals 4u here. Great service.
Mike Wood

posted on 21/6/20 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for the very helpful supplier recommendations.

I think I finally have got my head round the specification required for chassis panelling: Commercial Grade 5251, H24 (temper type - half hard):
http://www.aalco.co.uk/datasheets/Aluminium-Alloy-5251-H24-Sheet-and-Plate_151.ashx

For people like me who read old books, 5251 is the modern equivalent to the previous NS4 grade. Commercial Grade 1050 not as strong as 5251 and not preferred for chassis panelling.

For Locost racers panelling thickness according to the 2020 regs is minimum 18SWG (Standard Wire Gauge)/1.2mm:
https://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/1/0/2020_final_regulations_-_locost.pdf

Best wishes
Mike

RedAvon

posted on 22/6/20 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I managed to pick up a full 8'x4' sheet from these guys in Dumfries for around half price as the corners were mangled, but almost all of the sheet was fine. Was a while ago but always worth asking about seconds.

Ian

https://www.franklinsteelplc.co.uk/search/?s=Aluminium+sheet

Bricoleur

John Bonnett

posted on 22/6/20 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
NS4 is a tough alloy, great for floors but you may find difficulty in dressing it around the tubing if you use it for the panels. You will find 1.5mm thick 1050A easier to work and perfectly adequate.
Mike Wood

posted on 22/6/20 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks John and Ian, that's really helpful practical advice.

John - I was struggling to get real information on what Ali sheet spec to use - 1050A but 1.5m thick sounds a very practical way to get a Locost solution. Excellent.

Ian - great tip on seconds and also suggesting a Dumfries supplier.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 22/6/20 by Mike Wood]

John Bonnett

posted on 22/6/20 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
You're very welcome Mike. When you come to tapping the sheet around the round tube use a wood or nylon chaser between the hammer and the aluminium to avoid marring the surface. Shrinking is necessary round the internal bends and you will find the aluminium will be more compliant if you warm it up a bit. You don't have to go to annealing temperatures. Metal moves slowly so work progressively and gently encourage rather than heavy blows. You'll soon get the feel for it.
mcerd1

posted on 22/6/20 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wood
Thanks everyone for the very helpful supplier recommendations.

bit late, but I got mine from Aalco in Glasgow - they were very helpful, only that was via my work who buy thousands worth of other alloy sections every month which may have had some influence....

-

Mike Wood

posted on 23/6/20 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
John

More useful tips - excellent, thanks. The 1050A you use - is it half hard H14 temper? (http://www.aalco.co.uk/datasheets/Aluminium-Alloy-1050A-H14-Sheet_57.ashx)

I remember seeing a video of a Caterham chassis having the rear panel being fitted, with use of a candle and a blow lamp to assist yen forming over the round tube.

Mcerd1 - thanks for the Aalco Glasgow tip, I'll contact them. Did you use 1050A H14?

Best wishes
Mike

[Edited on 23/6/20 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 23/6/20 by Mike Wood]

John Bonnett

posted on 23/6/20 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
John

More useful tips - excellent, thanks. The 1050A you use - is it yeah half hard H14 temper? (http://www.aalco.co.uk/datasheets/Aluminium-Alloy-1050A-H14-Sheet_57.ashx)

Mcerd1 a thanks for the Aalco Glasgow tip, I'll contact them. Did you use 1050A H14?

Best wishes
Mike

Yes, half hard Mike.

Mike Wood

posted on 23/6/20 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks John - you replied while I was correcting my typos in my post!

How is the Reliant Kitten project going?

Cheers
Mike

John Bonnett

posted on 23/6/20 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks John - you replied while I was correcting my typos in my post!

How is the Reliant Kitten project going?

Cheers
Mike

Slowly Mike and my updates must be as boring as watching paint dry!

mcerd1

posted on 23/6/20 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Mcerd1 - thanks for the Aalco Glasgow tip, I'll contact them. Did you use 1050A H14?

Yeah I also got 1050A H14 (probably on John's recommendation) in 1.2mm thick, but I was only getting extra sheets for the awkward little panels around the tunnel and in the rear corners and such

my dax came with all the main alloy panels pre-cut - If I was going to do all the larger flat panels I'd have been tempted to get some harder maybe even 5251 H22 or similar - but I'd have still needed some 1050A H14 for these tricky bits

As a rough guide a 2500x1250mm sheet of 1.2mm cost me £28+VAT (but that was ~3 years ago) - the metals4u price now is actually pretty similar, but they don't give you any spec's on the website beyond 1050
I also found that Aalco would cut all the sheets I got in thirds for free (means I could just fit them in the boot of the car and the fit in the old imperial size folder/guillotine of my dad's)

[Edited on 23/6/2020 by mcerd1]

-

John Bonnett

posted on 23/6/20 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
If you can get it (and I can't any more) NS3 combines stiffness with malleability so compared with 1050A will give crisper folds. But harder to work and for panels I would still go for 1050A. It's cheaper as well!
mcerd1

posted on 23/6/20 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
....I would still go for 1050A. It's cheaper as well!

second that - even an idiot like me can make half decent panels

Rear corner alloy v3
Rear corner alloy v3
new footwell
new footwell

(don't worry I know its not even close to John's standards - but its getting covered afterwards)

-

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.