Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on what's going on with Robin Hood subframe mounting
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/20 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Advice on what's going on with Robin Hood subframe mounting

Hi,

I've been stripping out the interior of this car and am a bit dubious on what's going on the rear Sierra subframe front mounting in that there is a heavy plate welded on both sides of about 5mm thick yet the subframe has beam has been bolted of all things to the thin floor!! what's weirder is that there is a cut out in the plate so as to avoid the plate

This all looks very rubbish and wrong... does anyone have some pics of what this is meant to look like? currently I'm thinking that I should get a circular plate made up and weld that into the cutout on the plate so it's then connected to the chassis and not just the floor.

Any advice much appreciated

[Edited on 5/8/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 5/8/20 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked with https://www.rhocar.org/ ?

Might have more luck, however, the collective might be able to help..

Dan

snapper

posted on 5/8/20 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Go to RHOCAR, they have all the info you need.
Mine is a Robin Hood 3a Monocoque so cant give full advice but Robin Joid owners club will be very very helpful

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/20 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks will do
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Edwardo

posted on 5/8/20 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Edit - Sorry just realized you said the subframe is bolted to the thin floor!

[Edited on 5/8/20 by Edwardo]

belgian2b

posted on 6/8/20 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

the sierra beam is fixed top some ears of the robinhood chassis.

See picture in this link

http://www.flightless.co.uk/images/build/IMG_0774.jpg

Gerardo

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/8/20 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm looking under mine I don't think I have those but will double check. Thanks
Edwardo

posted on 7/8/20 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just looked back through my 2B build stuff and that's def strange there.

These are the points on the Sierra subframe that are all supposed to be mounted to the 5mm thick chassis plate. :-

The Rubber Bushes in the subframe are mounted with the larger bolts and then you had to drill 2 extra 'smaller' fixings into the plate shown with the other green dots. All 4 fixings should def be in the 5mm thick plate though!

This is what mine looked like - View is behind passenger seat. You can make out the outline of the 5mm thick plate just poking out behind the floor plate :-

It's difficult to tell from your pics but it seems your rear subframe is possibly not in the correct position somehow? But then your diff wouldn't fix to the rear chassis mount properly or the swing arm mounts to the frame properly either?

Could it be the 5mm thick plate has been cut away a bit before the builder realised he actually needed it?

Cheers
Tony

[Edited on 7/8/20 by Edwardo]

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/8/20 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for that picture, I will use it to compare against mine. Something does seem odd and not quite right. Fabulous....
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/8/20 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belgian2b
Hello,

See picture in this link

Gerardo

Just back from holiday (don't like saying that I am on one in an open forum) and yes you are correct my chassis does indeed have those "ears" so it's not as I first thought just bolted to the floor... it was hard to tell at the time. It's quite untidy at the rear with a lot of nasty mastic and stuff. I'm going to remove the rear subframe to clean it all up.

Thanks for the help, I can relax a bit more now

[Edited on 11/8/20 by Mr Whippy]

jps

posted on 11/8/20 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by belgian2b
Hello,

See picture in this link

Gerardo

Just back from holiday (don't like saying that I am on one in an open forum) and yes you are correct my chassis does indeed have those "ears" so it's not as I first thought just bolted to the floor... it was hard to tell at the time. It's quite untidy at the rear with a lot of nasty mastic and stuff. I'm going to remove the rear subframe to clean it all up.

Thanks for the help, I can relax a bit more now

[Edited on 11/8/20 by Mr Whippy]

Good to hear it's sorted, it'd not have been a nice discovery for a new purchase otherwise!
The gap between the 'ears' and the floor panel looks like a right muck/rust trap (unless it all gets clamped together much more closely than that photo suggests)!

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/8/20 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps

The gap between the 'ears' and the floor panel looks like a right muck/rust trap (unless it all gets clamped together much more closely than that photo suggests)!

Nope there's a big gap lol... I'm going to sort that probably with rivets from the underside

MikeRJ

posted on 19/9/20 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Robin Hood
This all looks very rubbish and wrong

Sounds like a factory fresh example

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/9/20 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well it turned out the 5mm plate was actually an additional piece welded on (not him personally) to compensate for the lack of an inner seatbelt mounting and the original design of bolting the seats to the thin floor. I would replace it with some tube but it would involve considerable work and removing the whole floor which is probably not worth it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.