Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tube thickness Haynes chassis
dyno

posted on 2/11/20 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Tube thickness Haynes chassis

Hallo to all.

I'm new on this site and have plans to build a Haynes Roadster using their book and plans.

Unfortunately one thing is not fully clear to me. The main tubes are 25x25mm 16swg. We use metric sizes in Belgium, we have 25x25x1,5mm (wall thickness 1,5mm) or 25x25x2mm.

As far as I can find out, 16swg is 1,626mm. We don't have 1,625mm wall thickness. It's 1,5mm or 2mm

To cut it short, what's the wall thickness of tubes most builders are using?? 1,5mm or 2mm ??

thanks in advance

Dirk

40inches

posted on 2/11/20 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
1.5mm is the normal gauge
dyno

posted on 2/11/20 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot

That's quite thin wall stuff. I really thought it would be 2mm.

Are these chassis strong enough to handle high power outputs in standard form?

40inches

posted on 2/11/20 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
2mm would be overkill and very heavy.
The Jag V6 in mine has 270 ish BHP and the chassis is still in one piece
Description
Description

dyno

posted on 2/11/20 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Nice build car

I like the air outlet's. Was it home build or can you order them ?

40inches

posted on 2/11/20 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
1.2mm ally sheet, easy to fabricate and they really work well. They also let air in at the front
Description
Description

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=40inches&folder=AJ30

dyno

posted on 2/11/20 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Nice done
nick205

posted on 2/11/20 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
1.5mm wall thickness is the standard wall thickness. Strong enough chasis and easy enough to weld. 2.0mm wall thickness will make for a heavy chasis and more effort to weld as well.
big_wasa

posted on 2/11/20 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ive seen some daft power and torque figures put through a book chassis.

If you are going really daft there are some bits you could beef up with extra triangulation.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 2/11/20 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
As i understand it (and backed by the link here) 16 gague tolerance is between 1.4 and 1.6mm steel. 1.5 being average.

(linky - https://www.engineersedge.com/materials/sheet_metal_gauge_tolerances_chart_13178.htm)

1.5mm steel is therefore what you want

procomp

posted on 2/11/20 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
As above.
Check with your supplier EXACTLY what he is supplying and measure it to make 100%.
The tolerance on tubing is not good these days as they roll material to the EXACT min tolerance.
16g usually comes as 17.5G thees days and if you order 2mm you may find it is actually the equivalent of 16.5G which is what most are now using as GENUINE 16G from quality suppliers is now very expensive.
For RACE chassis i order 1.5mm BUT that can end up being as thin as 1.35mm. No problem on a race chassis with all the extra bracing and full rollcage Etc but for a std type road chassis it will lead to issues.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dyno

posted on 2/11/20 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
As above.
Check with your supplier EXACTLY what he is supplying and measure it to make 100%.
The tolerance on tubing is not good these days as they roll material to the EXACT min tolerance.
16g usually comes as 17.5G thees days and if you order 2mm you may find it is actually the equivalent of 16.5G which is what most are now using as GENUINE 16G from quality suppliers is now very expensive.
For RACE chassis i order 1.5mm BUT that can end up being as thin as 1.35mm. No problem on a race chassis with all the extra bracing and full rollcage Etc but for a std type road chassis it will lead to issues.

That's indeed what I see here, 25x25x2mm is in reality 25x25x1,8mm. Reason why I thought it was 2mm I had to order.

PS: do you build you road chassis out of 2mm and the race chassis only in 1,5mm ??

dyno

posted on 3/11/20 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
BTW, does anyone has the correct weight of a full Haynes Roadster chassis, build with 1,5mm (16SWG) tubes. Less wishbones etc.. bare chassis ?

thanks

Dirk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.