Board logo

Motorcycle accident a47 head cam view.
jossey - 5/9/14 at 07:18 AM

Seriously don't watch this if you are easy offended.

http://youtu.be/xq2xStb0R-c

Goto the last 35 seconds to see the impact.

Hard-hitting footage of a fatal collision in Norfolk has been released by police in a bid to get motorcyclists and drivers to think seriously about road safety.
The dramatic film, captured on a headcam fitted to the rider’s helmet, shows the moment a car crosses into the path of Norwich motorcyclist David Holmes who was killed on the A47 at Honingham in June last year.
David’s story, a video featuring clips including the collision as well as an interview with his mother Brenda, has been produced by police with the full support of all his family, who hope the campaign will prevent further deaths.
The 38-year-old had been travelling at about 97mph at the time of the collision.

[Edited on 5/9/14 by jossey]

joneh - 5/9/14 at 07:42 AM

I feel sorry for his family and the car driver. I hope the helps raise awareness that riding like a total tool can get you killed.

Any driver could have miss judged, or not even seen the bike doing a ton on public roads.

David Jenkins - 5/9/14 at 07:43 AM

I saw that clip on the local news last night - they only showed it up to the point where the car starts to turn in front of the bike, but I think that's about as much as I want to see.

Irony - 5/9/14 at 07:47 AM

How fast was he going?

jossey - 5/9/14 at 07:59 AM

97 MPH

David Jenkins - 5/9/14 at 08:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
I feel sorry for his family and the car driver. I hope the helps raise awareness that riding like a total tool can get you killed.

Any driver could have miss judged, or not even seen the bike doing a ton on public roads.

According to a report I've just read, the car driver didn't see the bike, OR the car behind him - he just didn't look properly. Nevertheless, I can't imagine how bad he feels.

Wadders - 5/9/14 at 08:15 AM

That's sad and very sobering brave of his family to release the video

i would never have guessed from the footage that he was doing 97mph though...

CosKev3 - 5/9/14 at 08:38 AM

RIP

As above very sobering knowing that was the last few seconds of his life.

Shows very well how fast things go can wrong.

jeffw - 5/9/14 at 08:38 AM

Not sure it would have been any different if he had been doing 60 to be honest. Looks like a foreign plate on the car (Fiat?)

nick205 - 5/9/14 at 08:38 AM

Sobering to watch and as above, brave of his family to try and use it to raise awareness.

Irony - 5/9/14 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Not sure it would have been any different if he had been doing 60 to be honest. Looks like a foreign plate on the car (Fiat?)

I thought that and I think its just a reflection. I paused it on the right frame and it looks english.

jossey - 5/9/14 at 09:06 AM

cant imagine how his mum feels seeing this.

David Jenkins - 5/9/14 at 09:27 AM

She was interviewed on the local news - she gave permission to show the video in the hope that it would encourage better riding/driving.

JoelP - 5/9/14 at 09:33 AM

That's fucked up.

johnemms - 5/9/14 at 09:57 AM

97mph .. car about to cross your path.. not a good move very sad ...

I very - very highly recommend daytime running lights -

I put them on my locost and immediately noticed the difference by being seen by other drivers...
Very bright 9w Cost like £3 .... say no more...

r1_pete - 5/9/14 at 10:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by johnemms

On modern bikes (Mid 2000's on) you can't turn the headlight off whilst the engine is running.

Its a sobering vid, but sadly a familiar occurrence when one is out on a bike, fortunately for most impact is avoided.

Thoughts with his family....

mcerd1 - 5/9/14 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by johnemms

or just drive with your headlights on...

I got into that habit after a weeks driving in Iceland (were its the law) - I think it makes a big difference especially at sunrise / sunset

but I doubt that would have helped him

[Edited on 5/9/2014 by mcerd1]

scootz - 5/9/14 at 10:29 AM

quote:

I'm not for a second condoning the motorcyclists speed, but there is no excuse for the car driver not paying attention to what was happening in the carriageway he was about to cross.

loggyboy - 5/9/14 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

Clio, Uk car I believe. Driver was banned.
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/a47_death_crash_driver_disqualified_1_3523497

jossey - 5/9/14 at 10:42 AM

That bike had his headlights on too. If you look at the last few frames the reg plate lights up on the car so it must have had the bike lights on.

Very sad.

Day light runners are a good idea though.

loggyboy - 5/9/14 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Day light runners are a good idea though.

I disagree. The reason why having your lights on helps, is you stand out. if every one has lights on you don't stand out anymore.

And when I say stand out, I don't mean amongst other vehicles, I mean against any background.

MikeRJ - 5/9/14 at 11:37 AM

quote:

Any driver that didn't bother to look would have missed him...

franky - 5/9/14 at 01:01 PM

It was put out to raise awareness to car drivers and bike riders.

Bikers need to slow down and ride more to conditions. Drivers need to look properly. I hope the driver of the car got charged also.

loggyboy - 5/9/14 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
It was put out to raise awareness to car drivers and bike riders.

Bikers need to slow down and ride more to conditions. Drivers need to look properly. I hope the driver of the car got charged also.

See my post a few further up.

ashg - 5/9/14 at 01:26 PM

the chilling thing is if you look at the point just before the impact and note how far away the nearest bush/green bit is (quite far!), then note that's where he ended up in less than a second. :-(

Andy S - 5/9/14 at 01:31 PM

Careful driver - Careless biker = miss
Careful Biker - Careless driver = miss
Careless driver - Careless biker = an unfortunate statistic.

Stuff happens. especially when you are only as wide as an airbag filled A post.

Not sure I would be happy about my last moments - a result of me being a complete idiot - being globally advertised no matter how well meaning or useful someone thought it would be - every biker knows from experience early on, that if you do not ride defensively you are just marking time.

joneh - 5/9/14 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Any driver that didn't bother to look would have missed him...

I didn't know the driver didn't look, only that he didn't see them. The car behind was a long way off.

Minicooper - 5/9/14 at 02:20 PM

What is the speed limit on that particular part of the A47?

David

scootz - 5/9/14 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy S
Careful driver - Careless biker = miss
Careful Biker - Careless driver = miss
Careless driver - Careless biker = an unfortunate statistic.

It's not that simple.

I've investigated a number of similar incidents over the years where the biker was driving perfectly sensibly in good conditions and was taken out by a car turning across his path, or emerging onto his road.

You can be the best driver in the world, but if someone doesn't see you, then it's going to end in a mess!

Andy S - 5/9/14 at 02:34 PM

Which is what I have stated but without going into a list of every scenario and in depth explanation.

However I disagree - If you are the best driver in the world or at least and experience and defensive rider then you take sufficient caution to make sure you have anticipated a twat pulling across you.

You may be going well within the limit but unless you are anticipating the guy at the junction being a twat you are not being carefull

[Edited on 5/9/14 by Andy S]

jossey - 5/9/14 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
What is the speed limit on that particular part of the A47?

David

50 mph

whitestu - 5/9/14 at 02:46 PM

Very sad but if you don't ride like every car driver is out to kill you then you take a huge risk.

Not slowing for that junction was just asking for trouble. Like most things in life safe biking is a question of weighing up risk and consequence.
The car shouldn't have turned, but then the consequences of him doing so were not nearly as serious as the consequences for the bike rider of not slowing to 40 mph.

When you are dead it doesn't matter who had the right of way.

scootz - 5/9/14 at 02:54 PM

quote:
However I disagree - If you are the best driver in the world or at least and experience and defensive rider then you take sufficient caution to make sure you have anticipated a twat pulling across you.

We need to maintain a degree of reasonable trust in our fellow road-users otherwise the highways will be full of folks driving / riding hesitantly. This carries its own dangers.

brookie - 5/9/14 at 02:56 PM

so he was going 97mph in a 50mpz zone over taking cars at 97 mph sorry that a disaster waiting to happen

Andy S - 5/9/14 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

We need to maintain a degree of reasonable trust in our fellow road-users otherwise the highways will be full of folks driving / riding hesitantly. This carries its own dangers.

Good luck with that approach.

jossey - 5/9/14 at 02:57 PM

I hope this video slows one person down it has had over 100,000 views and I think it is brave of his mother for allowing the use of this. For those who have watched this you can hear from his voice and the words Wooooooo. Chilling...

I know that there are two people to blame for the INCIDENT but its clear that one person is real loser here and the family.

Incidents happen but lets just hope its not someone we know or love....

coozer - 5/9/14 at 03:20 PM

Why did the car driver not go to jail?

I know a man going 13mph over the speed limit hitting a broken down car got 5 years for death by dangerous driving...

JoelP - 5/9/14 at 03:40 PM

The judge took into account the bikes speed. That's a mitigating factor.

matt_gsxr - 5/9/14 at 04:33 PM

Sad story, but incredibly brave of the parents to air the footage.

As a separate point.
To my mind this is a good argument for helmet cams.
Parents get closure, clear evidence for the police.

big_wasa - 5/9/14 at 07:25 PM

I feel sick

02GF74 - 5/9/14 at 08:33 PM

What whitestu said.

Defensive riding you gotta assume a car can jump out at junctuons so ride ti have an escap route.

Car driver may have looked, saw road was clear, at 94 mph distances are eaten up quickly.

02GF74 - 5/9/14 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Why did the car driver not go to jail?

I know a man going 13mph over the speed limit hitting a broken down car got 5 years for death by dangerous driving...

Yeah but the broken down car was not doing 94 mph so driver was. Not paying attention.

At that speed things happem quickly, you can look, see a clear road then a second later a yahama is bouncing off your bonnet.