Board logo

TEC - Tractor Engined Car
akumabito - 13/10/08 at 07:44 PM

So uhhmm.. 'hypothetically speaking' (ofcourse *cough* *cough*), if someone wanted to make a diesel-powered Locost (or TEC - Tractor Engined Car), what engine would he use?

The Volvo D5 engine looks like a contender (185Hp, 400NM stock), but I bet it'd be a pain to mate it to a RWD transmission.. It's a nice engine though, all aluminium block..

Any other ally diesel engines? I think the BMW units (an obvious choice for RWD setup) are all cast iron, right?

[Edited on 13/10/08 by akumabito]

Wadders - 13/10/08 at 07:46 PM

How about the V10 from the VW toe rag

Originally posted by akumabito
So uhhmm.. 'hypothetically speaking' (ofcourse *cough* *cough*), if someone wanted to make a diesel-powered Locost (or TEC - Tractor Engined Car), what engine would he use?

The Volvo D5 engine looks like a contender (185Hp, 400NM stock), but I bet it'd be a pain to mate it to a RWD transmission.. It's a nice engine though, all aluminium block..

Any other ally diesel engines? I think the BMW units (an obvious choice for RWD setup) are all cast iron, right?

akumabito - 13/10/08 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders

I'm sorry.. you were saying something? Whatever it was, it can't be more interesting than your avatar

Volvorsport - 13/10/08 at 07:52 PM

mounts straight up to an M90 gearbox .

unfortunately itll need the ecus etc to run it unless you know of a standalone that can run a common rail diesel .

besides , volvos have been tractor powered for like 40 years now !!

D5 blocks are sought after for their high HP application in a petrol applications , ie upwards of 1000hp .

dinosaurjuice - 13/10/08 at 07:55 PM

My MEV rocket has a diesel in it. 2.0 tdci from ford c-max. cast iron block but alloy head and sump. 136hp and 340nm!! more than capable of been remapped upto 190ish.

If i did something similar again i would definately use the 1.6HDi 110bhp - all alloy and can be tuned to 140hp+ with a larger intercooler and a descent remap.

http://s377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/dinosaurjuice/?action=view&current=CIMG1549.flv

[Edited on 13/10/08 by dinosaurjuice]

Richard Quinn - 13/10/08 at 07:56 PM

What about a Car Engined Tractor instead...
Link
I'm off to do a deal on Father-in-Laws ride on mower!!

nick205 - 13/10/08 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders

Originally posted by akumabito

Is the lass in your avatar from Yorkshire then...?

Simon - 13/10/08 at 08:29 PM

I recently mentioned about the Jag V6 twin turbo diesel.

207bhp with 265 possible. Engine is quite light and shared with Ford and Peugeut I believe

Connect it to a decent auto and it'll be a laugh in a lightweight car

ATB

Simon

Richard Quinn - 13/10/08 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I recently mentioned about the Jag V6 twin turbo diesel.

207bhp with 265 possible. Engine is quite light and shared with Ford and Peugeut I believe

Connect it to a decent auto and it'll be a laugh in a lightweight car

ATB

Simon
Looks like I'll have to keep an eye on my 123D. All alloy 4 pot twin turbo. 204bhp standard and rwd!

Paul TigerB6 - 13/10/08 at 09:29 PM

You have u2u re diesel westfield with a VW TDi unit

Did anyone read Practical Performance Car during 2007?? They had a guy building a VW TDi Westie in there. He bought a 3.14 diff off me for it.

[Edited on 13/10/08 by Paul TigerB6]

PAUL FISHER - 13/10/08 at 10:03 PM

This subject is something I have been looking into,the best option I came up with was the bmw 320d engine,173bhp standard,chip to around 195bhp,with 330ftlbs of torque,alloy block so not too heavy,and of course rwd,with a six speed box

Simon - 13/10/08 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hicost
All the figures sound great but the power and gearing is all in the wrong ......

That's the reason I suggested an auto box (in a nice light car, it'd still be fun), but if you can find a sequential manual box, you'd be better off still. I toyed witha diesel engined bike or trike with an aftermarket Harley box (look on ebay, usa for ultima gearboxes).

Diesel's have a very short rev range, so need quick, on boost gear changes, with a very low final drive ratio to make the most of short range.

ATB

Simon

locost_bryan - 14/10/08 at 02:13 AM

Jack McCormack of Kinetic Vehicles in the States has built a 7 with a Kubota diesel. Over 70 US mpg. Apparently respectable performance and reasonably quiet...

Any CVT transmissions that can handle the torque of a diesel (Nissan Murano, perhaps)? The CVT in the wife's Honda Jazz does a great job of keeping the engine in the peak torque band (3-4000rpm) for reasonable acceleration with great fuel economy (and avoids the uncouth racket of the rather unrefined 1.3DSi at higher rpm).

[Edited on 14-10-08 by locost_bryan]

mad4x4 - 14/10/08 at 06:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by locost_bryan
Jack McCormack of Kinetic Vehicles in the States has built a 7 with a Kubota diesel. Over 70 US mpg.

[Edited on 14-10-08 by locost_bryan]

Don't think he meant Tractor as in Agricultural Vehcile ........

Agriv8 - 14/10/08 at 06:31 AM

Have no idea of weight but the 2.5 v6 VAG should be on the list to look at ?

Suspect there may be a few knocking about soon at the road tax re-banding hits them

regards

Agriv8

MikeRJ - 14/10/08 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Jack McCormack of Kinetic Vehicles in the States has built a 7 with a Kubota diesel. Over 70 US mpg. Apparently respectable performance and reasonably quiet...

Can help but think it's missing the point of a 7 unless he the kind of nutter that uses it to commute vast distances everyday.

smart51 - 14/10/08 at 08:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by akumabitoThe Volvo D5 engine looks like a contender (185Hp, 400NM stock

400 Nm in a Seven is just a recipe for wheel spin and death. A RWD gearbox, I would suggest, would be the least of your worries. A 1:1 diff ratio to make that torque useable would be more important, unless you plan to use tractor wheels as well as the engine.

Simon - 14/10/08 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Have no idea of weight but the 2.5 v6 VAG should be on the list to look at ?

Suspect there may be a few knocking about soon at the road tax re-banding hits them

regards

Agriv8

This was one of my first thoughts when I started researching diesel engines for a boat. I asked a friend who does VW/Audi for a living and he pointed out a timetable for failures, so that put me off that one

ATB

Simon

Agriv8 - 16/10/08 at 07:53 AM

Thats a shame I would really like one as my passot TDI 1.9 110 is nearing replacement. But if they are not as relible as the 1.9 units its another reason not to go there

My 1.9 is at 214k of me abusing it daily

regards

Agriv8

akumabito - 18/10/08 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone..

I think if I ever get around of starting a build, I'd have mine be a 'semi daily driver'. As in; I'll use it to commute to work every day, weather permitting. I'd be one of the nutters trying to squeeze in a heater somewhere, and trying to figure out whattype of weather gear looks least horrific..

I'd also be using it for some long distance touring and things like that. I'm not really interested in building a track-day car so weight isn't my first priority. I'd be plenty happy if it ends up weighing 700 to 750kgs.

As for the torque figure.. I hope I can keep my right foot under control so I don't end up backwards in someone's hedge

Tallest Sierra diff is 3.14 I believe? I think mid-80s BMW 325's had a 2.79 or 2.93 diff ratio. That should help.

I'd also be looking at fitting larger diameter wheels and tires. 16 inch, maybe even 17 inch. I'll have to do some spreadsheets to figureout proper gearing anyway.

locost_bryan - 23/10/08 at 03:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Can help but think it's missing the point of a 7 unless he the kind of nutter that uses it to commute vast distances everyday.

Taking part in the $10m 100+mpg challenge. Kinetic supply Locost parts in the US.

New York Times story here.

chetcpo - 17/12/08 at 05:28 PM

This guy used a VW turbodiesel.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45567

ettore bugatti - 20/12/08 at 01:18 AM

How about the Fiat 1.3JTD which is used in the Suzuki Jimny?

RK - 20/12/08 at 02:08 AM

I think diesel is a good option for North America since nothing is ever right next door. And yes, Jack drove his hundreds of miles with no problems over the past summer. He has a blog of it posted somewhere.

it_cud - 25/2/09 at 07:00 PM

Hi, Four weeks after driving my 8v VX motor Westfield into the garage, It emerged in a cloud of smoke,powered by an Isuzu 1.7 td. I've only driven it on a couple of short test runs,honest officer,and am more than pleased. Running a A4 intercooler and std. boost/fuelling . reaches 10/12 psi without bother and holds it all day. What a hoot. Can only reccomend it !
Mike.

liam.mccaffrey - 25/2/09 at 07:27 PM

I bought some parts from jack when I lived in the states, such a nice bloke, with a very locost/ can do attitude. He is a regular on the yahoo north america list.