Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: duratec st170
kentmagpie

posted on 26/4/15 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
duratec st170

Hi guys,

I'm currently running the rule over a mk indy with this engine in it running megasquirt ecu roughly hitting 180bhp. I've owned 3 BECs now and am looking for a change. I don't wanna start an argument over what's better I just want some opinions and advice on what this setup may be like in comparison?
Thanks in advance

austin man

posted on 26/4/15 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
You will get close to 200 if you fit bigger throttle bodies and injectors ditch the cat etc get it mapped etc. Always a can of worms the BEC vs CEC I run a 1.8 silvertop on carbs with 2 litre cams thats around the 150 mark plenty for what I need would like ,ore when doing trackdays but cant warrant the cost

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

kentmagpie

posted on 26/4/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
You will get close to 200 if you fit bigger throttle bodies and injectors ditch the cat etc get it mapped etc. Always a can of worms the BEC vs CEC I run a 1.8 silvertop on carbs with 2 litre cams thats around the 150 mark plenty for what I need would like ,ore when doing trackdays but cant warrant the cost

Due to the price work would be limited and therefore it'd be left as it is.

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/4/15 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
An ST170 is not a Duratec engine it is a Zetec with VVT.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

austin man

posted on 26/4/15 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
you would still get 180 plus with a set up on the Rolling road get a set of bike carbs and use them as Throttle bodies

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

kentmagpie

posted on 26/4/15 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
An ST170 is not a Duratec engine it is a Zetec with VVT.

Well picked up I'd never even thought of that, I'll show you two different adverts it's been listed in. The first was the original sale from last year and the autotrader one is the current ad. I've just realised the current ad dies not say it's an ST170 but the original does:

http://www.uksportsandprestige.co.uk/used/mk/indy/r-kit-car-great-example/harrogate/north-yorkshire/15489559#

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504082427554/sort/atcustom/postcode/br60ew/radius/1500/make/MK/model/indy_r/page/1/usedcars

I remembered the car and traced the current sales photos to find the trader that originally sold it to get more info. So where dies the 180 bhp figure come from? Am I right in saying a Duratec St punched out 150bhp?

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/4/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Standard Duratec is 150hp.

That's s real nice car though

[Edited on 26/4/15 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

kentmagpie

posted on 26/4/15 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Standard Duratec is 150hp.

That's s real nice car though

[Edited on 26/4/15 by big-vee-twin]

Is it possible to squeeze an extra 30hp with just and ecu upgrade? What's the boost button as well? Never heard of this!!

snapper

posted on 27/4/15 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
Proper Duratec has inlet on the left exhaust on the right
You have the ST Zetec in that
Still a good engine and should give 167 bhp in standard form

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

kentmagpie

posted on 27/4/15 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper

I'm confused as a simple image search on Google for duratec St engine shows a number of engine bays with exactly the same setup as that mk. So is that suggesting Ford bunged a load of duratec rocker covers on zetec engines?

threadbare wallet

posted on 27/4/15 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yes thats exactly what they did,they coukdnt have the performance model to be seen with "last years engine" so badged it as a duratec as well.its still a zetec but with vvt,not a bad thing just not as light as the " real" duratec.still a lot of gains to be had and a lot lot cheaper.

Very few things are "really" needed.

MikeRJ

posted on 27/4/15 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kentmagpie
quote:

I'm confused as a simple image search on Google for duratec St engine shows a number of engine bays with exactly the same setup as that mk. So is that suggesting Ford bunged a load of duratec rocker covers on zetec engines?

Ford stuck Duratec stickers on virtually every engine they made.

For some inexplicable reason they have tried their hardest to confuse and complicate their engine names. The original Zetec was simple enough, but then they called the 1.6 Sigma engine a Zetec as well and then they used the Zetec name as a trim level badge. And then they developed the 2.0L/2.3L Duratec engine, and decided everything had to have a Duratec badge, including rattly old pushrod lumps with throwbacks to the 50's.

The ST170 is based on the iron blocked Zetec-E engine but with a redesigned head that includes variable valve timing. They were rather disappointing in the Focus, being miles behind the rival cars in terms of performance, but you can extract reasonable power from them. Dave Walker of PPC fame has written a few decent articles on this - properly controlling the VVC rather than just switching it on and off is very important to get the best out of them.

kentmagpie

posted on 27/4/15 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by threadbare wallet
Yes thats exactly what they did,they coukdnt have the performance model to be seen with "last years engine" so badged it as a duratec as well.its still a zetec but with vvt,not a bad thing just not as light as the " real" duratec.still a lot of gains to be had and a lot lot cheaper.

Ok well that's cleared that one up so has anyone owned a CEC with this setup? Does anyone know how it goes in comparison to a BEC? I don't want to travel to see it and end up wasting his and my time.

kentmagpie

posted on 27/4/15 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by kentmagpie
quote:

Ford stuck Duratec stickers on virtually every engine they made.

For some inexplicable reason they have tried their hardest to confuse and complicate their engine names. The original Zetec was simple enough, but then they called the 1.6 Sigma engine a Zetec as well and then they used the Zetec name as a trim level badge. And then they developed the 2.0L/2.3L Duratec engine, and decided everything had to have a Duratec badge, including rattly old pushrod lumps with throwbacks to the 50's.

The ST170 is based on the iron blocked Zetec-E engine but with a redesigned head that includes variable valve timing. They were rather disappointing in the Focus, being miles behind the rival cars in terms of performance, but you can extract reasonable power from them. Dave Walker of PPC fame has written a few decent articles on this - properly controlling the VVC rather than just switching it on and off is very important to get the best out of them.

I love the knowledge on this forum

mcerd1

posted on 27/4/15 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Search for 'ST170' on this forum, you'll find several people that have used them with various ways of controlling them

-

scutter

posted on 27/4/15 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I had one before starting the V6 project, They are indeed Zetecs.

st engine
st engine

Mine ran a raised compression ratio, ported head, 1 3/4" primaries into a 2 1/4" system. GSXR throttle bodies running a Omex 500 ECU. Made 180hp, torque and power were great but had to make an airbox as I ran the VVC via a switched output from the ECU (only a simple ecu) and when it switched the intake noise used to get me black flagged for tripping the noise meters at Combe. You can see the rise in torque when the vvc kicks in at 2700, felt like a real shove on the road and your always above that on track, so it never really upset the car.

VVc
VVc

To get more from the engine it needed cams(pricey), better ECU for VVc control (also not cheap) and poss a cnc machined head (really expensive).

From reading not many ST170s made 170 in the Focus which is why the car always felt flat.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 27/4/15 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Ford used the name on a few engines the true Duratec is the HE look on Burton Power web site for info

coozer

posted on 27/4/15 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Here you go... duratec ST, really a badged zetec E out of a Focus.

This made 166bhp on zx9r carbs, if id bothered to jet them properly it would have made more than:

178bhp on injection. Thousands spent installing injection for an extra 12bhp.. Doh. Like I said if only Id spent the money on setting the carbs up and buying a decent gearbox... Hindsight....

I simply used the megajolt (carbs) to switch the vvt then the shift light on the Omex. Never bothered with a true controller...

Now its had the vvt removed, the cam fixed and I think its making 206bhp, but its not in my hands now so cannot verify that one.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

snakebelly

posted on 27/4/15 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
If you need to control the VVT properly then have a look at:

http://motorsport-electronics.co.uk/st170-vvt-control-cams-delete-vvt-pro.html

HTH

kentmagpie

posted on 27/4/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
This is all new to me as i've been a bec man. So what's people's views of the St running on a megasquirt ecu and the original fuel injection setup?
scutter

posted on 27/4/15 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Great engine for the money, if a little limited. Have a read of Big_Wasa's thread int he fuel injection section.

Regards Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kentmagpie

posted on 27/4/15 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your input, as always you guys are so reliable for good info
Dave Bailey

posted on 27/4/15 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running one on a DTA ECU with full cam control... And throttle bodies.... Made just under 180 on the dyno.....

Dave B

DazBam

posted on 30/4/15 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Iv got an MK Indy running the ST170 2.0 on ZX9R carbs with MegaJolt management. When I got the car it was running a bit rough and over fueling massively a lot of tweaking and dyno time later, 172.3bhp and running sweet as a nut and seriously moves, keeps up with my mates cbr600! The sound from the carbs is lovely too!
kentmagpie

posted on 30/4/15 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DazBam
Iv got an MK Indy running the ST170 2.0 on ZX9R carbs with MegaJolt management. When I got the car it was running a bit rough and over fueling massively a lot of tweaking and dyno time later, 172.3bhp and running sweet as a nut and seriously moves, keeps up with my mates cbr600! The sound from the carbs is lovely too!

Thanks for that. I'm actually just gonna go and see the car in question

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.