Board logo

Sierra Rear Hub Nuts
Russell - 28/3/08 at 01:41 PM

Are the threads for the Sierra rear hub nuts handed? There isn't much thread showing past the nut for me to tell.

Also, are the nuts difficult to remove? I haven't tried yet (due to not knowing which way they unscrew - as above) and I haven't got a socket or spanner that big (yet!)

BTW the hubs are off a Ghia with ABS and Lobro joints, similar to 4x4 I believe.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

ch1ll1 - 28/3/08 at 01:43 PM

yes they are.
not sure which is which

Bluemoon - 28/3/08 at 01:44 PM

Yes they are handed, although I believe some early ones are the same... Yes they are difficult to remove... I did'nt as I can't see the point, as if its not bust why fix it? Decided not to make more work for myself...

Dan

mike smith1 - 28/3/08 at 01:44 PM

They are handed, they always tighten towards the front of the car.

Mike

Mr Whippy - 28/3/08 at 01:46 PM

Yes they unscrew in the opposite direction to the wheel normally turning, as do the front sierra hub nuts. They are also extremely tight and best loosened when on the donor. If all else fails, grind a slot down the side and they will release with a bang, cheap to replace.

check how many replied to that!! we're all very busy this Friday afternoon

[Edited on 28/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

eznfrank - 28/3/08 at 01:47 PM

42mm IIRC in case you were wondering

Paul TigerB6 - 28/3/08 at 01:49 PM

As above. Slacken them off by pulling down towards the rear of the car. I have an impact socket and 3/4" breaker bar plus a 3ft scaffold pole to do the job.

Plenty of penetrating oil will cerainly help

bilbo - 28/3/08 at 03:08 PM

I got the hubs undone off the car by using a cunning tool fansioned out of some angle-iron. Details here:

http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/2006/06/build-day-11tight-nuts.html

T1GER_SUPERCA7 - 28/3/08 at 03:09 PM

Don't ask why I used it - probably because it was the closes thing to hand at the time but I managed to snap my torque wrench getting mine off! Ended up using an 8ft scaffolding pole and plenty of thread release!

snapper - 28/3/08 at 03:25 PM

bilbo, thanks for the idea, i have been with the rear right after finding that it waggles a bit more than it should, tried the breaker bar and scaffold and just pulled the car backwards, soon as the rain stops i will make up the angle iron and have a go.

jono_misfit - 28/3/08 at 05:22 PM

That tools identical to mine bilbo.

i parked our transit on top to stop it moving when undoing.

cossey - 28/3/08 at 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
42mm IIRC in case you were wondering

41mm

bilbo - 28/3/08 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jono_misfit
That tools identical to mine bilbo.

i parked our transit on top to stop it moving when undoing.

Great minds think alike

snapper, hope it does the job for you.

Cheers,
Bill

ReMan - 28/3/08 at 07:23 PM

If you havent got one already, buy yourself a breaker bar at least 2 feet long.
I wish I'd bought one 20 years ago, it's amazing how a nice steady pull on a nut/bolt works better than impact wrenches, hammer and chisel long poles attached to sockets etc
I use mine just because it's easy on almost everthing, a0part from when things need to be carefully torqued back up

Russell - 28/3/08 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Yes they are handed, although I believe some early ones are the same... Yes they are difficult to remove... I did'nt as I can't see the point, as if its not bust why fix it? Decided not to make more work for myself...

Dan

Don't you have to remove the nut to free the hub/bearing carrier thingy from the big hollow suspension arm thingies? ('scuse use of technical engineering terms!)
I got fed up with storing the big arm thingies in my garage and wanted to keep just the hub thingies for a future project. Ended up delighting the neighbours with the sound of the grinder as I cut them off this morning. Now have hub thingies with jagged shiny edges attached

Bluemoon - 29/3/08 at 01:41 PM

No need at least for the push in shafts
(I don't know about bolt on ones), whole thing comes though the trailing arm once the 4 bolts holding the hub carrier are undone... No need to touch the big nut... Nice and simple design..

Dan