Board logo

A little ZX9r help please
CraigF - 1/7/18 at 04:13 PM

It has been a number of years since I was last here, so long that I had to re-register.
I have a zx9r MK.

Went to take it out the other day and it was stumbling on idle. so thought I would balance the carbs. upped the idle control up to 2k, and let her warm up. After about 5 mins she was nice a warm and then she simply died and will not idle.

Appears to have no spark.
Without doing a faluty towers on this car, any suggestions.

Battery is over 12volts
the engine spins over
stick coils appear fine and I have check the continuity with a multimeter

Any suggestions as to what could have happened?

Cheers
Craig

40inches - 1/7/18 at 04:44 PM

This happened on a mates ZX9R BEC, after a lot of head scratching turned out to be the 100ohm resistor.

CraigF - 1/7/18 at 04:54 PM

Thanks 40inches,

I have the wiring diagram and I can see the grey wire where the resistor is meant to be , but I actually cannot see the resistor. I have to assume that it is hidden somewhere, as the car has been running for the last 10 years with the current wiring loom.

Could I simply run a spare wire with a resistor in it between the ignition barrel and the loom?

Cheers
Craig

40inches - 1/7/18 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
Thanks 40inches,

I have the wiring diagram and I can see the grey wire where the resistor is meant to be , but I actually cannot see the resistor. I have to assume that it is hidden somewhere, as the car has been running for the last 10 years with the current wiring loom.

Could I simply run a spare wire with a resistor in it between the ignition barrel and the loom?

Cheers
Craig

That's what we did

CraigF - 2/7/18 at 07:22 AM

Thanks 40 inches,

Just surprised if it is that - what could have caused the resistor to stop all of a sudden.

Is it just a little 100 ohm inline resistor?

[Edited on 2/7/18 by CraigF]