Board logo

R1 5vy shift lever sliding
reb - 6/9/20 at 09:37 AM

Hi,

my shift lever which is mounted on the splined shaft is able to move on the shaft.

It is able to slide 5mm to the right and left.

I cant tighten the screw any further to stop the lever from sliding on the shaft but it will not jump teeth.

Hence I was wondering if this is how it is supposed to be on a R1 5VY engine?

number-1 - 6/9/20 at 04:17 PM

I had a 5VY in my Road runner racing single seater and the spline didnt move at all. On another single seater i had the engine was a GSXR WP 1100 and the shifter lever started moving left and right like yours and within 10 laps on track i couldn't change gear as the splines had worn away.

Personally....i would look at getting a new shift arm (bit that goes over the shaft that you cant tighten any more) and also a shift shaft (bit with splines that goes into the gearbox)

Or take 1mm off each edge on the shifter arm (the bit you cant tighten any more) and consider drilling a hole through the shifter arm and shift shaft and stick a bolt through.

N1

[Edited on 6/9/20 by number-1]

adithorp - 6/9/20 at 09:47 PM

No should tighten up. Before changing the lever or modifying it I'd check it isn't a bolt problem. Does it have a plain shank on the bolt that it's tightening up against before squeezing the lever tight?