Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newton meters or horsepower???
tapkutez

posted on 21/12/17 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Newton meters or horsepower???

Hello, want to put bike engine in my kitcar and dont know what to choose, what is more important for better performance (acceleration 0-60), more newton meters or horsepower?
For example which engine would you choose:

Kawasaki ZX10R (174 HP, 115 Nm)
Kawasaki GTR1400 (153 HP, 136 Nm)

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ReMan

posted on 21/12/17 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
zx10

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 21/12/17 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
The Kwak (EDITED TO SAY GTR)is a touring bike, you may as well use a car engine

[Edited on 22/12/17 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

tapkutez

posted on 21/12/17 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, what car engine up to 1000gbp would have same performance? S2000 and coswords are much more expensive.
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

twybrow

posted on 21/12/17 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
7 style cars aren't all about the acceleration, they are about the handling. The bits in between the corners are not where they excel imho. Also a bike engine wont be keen on launches, so be cautious if you want to play at the traffic light grand prix!

I would be looking at things like the gear ratios as much as the headline figures. An engine that is mismatched to your running gear will be a pain - I had a cracking engine in the Triumph Daytona lump I used to run. It was torquey and bomb proof but it topped out at 110mph due to the gearing. I also do not agree that a sports tourer is not a suitable donor. Yes they are not going to have the banshee like revving of a sports bike, but you may find the total package more appealing for your style of driving. Decide what you want from your car, and choose an engine accordingly. The ZX10 is certainly a well trodden route, so the install is likely to be simpler, and I do not know anyone running one who has complained it is too slow!

Nickp

posted on 21/12/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tapkutez
hmmm, what car engine up to 1000gbp would have same performance? S2000 and coswords are much more expensive.

BMW 328i (M52B28) - 230bhp / 280Nm - about £500

scudderfish

posted on 21/12/17 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to compare one number to another discounting all the other factors then basically, torque influences how you accelerate, bhp influences top speed.
nick205

posted on 22/12/17 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Never been a biker and fitted a 2.0 Pinto to my MK Indy. It was quick enough of the line for me and top speed was limited by limited 7 type car aerodynamics anyway. People will bemoan the Pinto for weight and limited power, but it was cheap and worked perfectly. Building again I'd probably go for a Zetec or maybe a Duratec. In-line 4 cylinder car engines for me.
froggy

posted on 22/12/17 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Both engines will be equally annoying if you want to go any distance above 60mph

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

40inches

posted on 22/12/17 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
Both engines will be equally annoying if you want to go any distance above 60mph

Not true. I did over 3000 miles with the ZX9R engine, with a few 200mile round trips on mainly motorway at 70-80MPH.
Not a problem even with the 3.6 diff

russbost

posted on 22/12/17 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
My ZZR1400 engined Furore cruises at 4750 rpm at 70 mph, that's not great deal different to some small engined tintops!

ZZR1400 is always my engine of choice if you can afford it

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
snapper

posted on 23/12/17 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Russ reminded me that there is a drop ratio gear in the ZZR1400, not sure if this is due to the output gear being converted to shaft drive but this will effectively increase the torque seen at the wheels substantially

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Simon

posted on 23/12/17 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Remapped 1.0 ecoboost 😊
coyoteboy

posted on 24/12/17 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
My ZZR1400 engined Furore cruises at 4750 rpm at 70 mph, that's not great deal different to some small engined tintop

Really? Even the 3 cyl micro cars ive driven cruise at 3ish k.

coyoteboy

posted on 24/12/17 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
And in answer to the original question, power is more important as you just tweak gearing at the diff to get the torque at the wheels. Within reason.

fregis

posted on 24/12/17 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Don`t look only hp/nm power, it comes with gear box so also need compare gear ratios -what power you will have out of gearbox.
If gears to long, it "kill" your power, also can play witch diff ratio.

i use to calculate
http://www.offroadvw.net/exceldyno/

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.