Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody used std Fireblade Airbox in a BEC?
enginearin

posted on 12/4/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody used std Fireblade Airbox in a BEC?

As per title really... my airbox has more holes than should really be present so i need to come up with something else!

Has anyone turned a CBR1000RR airbox around and used it in the car? What are the issues with this likely to be? Do you usually have to turn the throttle bodies around too or can i just rotate the plastic airbox?

I'm rubbish at this sort of stuff till i get bits in my hand... just trying to get an idea of the potential pitfalls to decide whether to go for a purpose made box from AB performance for a fairly large amount of cash, or to have a crack at modifying the std box for £35.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tim

ReMan

posted on 12/4/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
If you can fit it under the bonnet Honda spent 1Trillion Yen designing it for the engine

Commonly done by turning it as you mention

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

fullpint

posted on 12/4/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim; I would be interested to know how this goes mate. As in fitting it under the bonnet with out having to cut a hole..
I will try to kept an eye out on your posts..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
enginearin

posted on 12/4/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
If you can fit it under the bonnet Honda spent 1Trillion Yen designing it for the engine

Commonly done by turning it as you mention

I'm familiar with the concept of rotating the airbox on the bikes with 4 injectors mounted in the throttle body (e.g. hayabusa)... My concern with the CBR1000RR airbox is that this engine has 8 injectors (4 mounted on top of the airbox). I would imagine that these may be angled to align with the intake, which may screw things up if i turn it around.

Just trying to get ideas before i go buying up bits and discover it doesn't work. Also waiting on final price from AB performance as i already have some of the parts for his kit.

SPYDER

posted on 13/4/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
We used the standard Fireblade airbox on our Phoenix, albeit on a 929 engine. We turned the throttle bodies upside down too. The car runs fine as far as we can tell, although it hasn't been on a rolling road so it could have lost a little power. The only noticeable glitch is a slight flat spot at around 6K but this could be due to the non standard exhaust system, we have no way of knowing. We are going to try to DYNOTUNE it out.
Talk to AndyB.
The airbox does stick through the bonnet by a fair amount. The CBR1000 airbox might stick out even more!

[img][/img]

mad-butcher

posted on 13/4/12 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
mines a fireblade I just turned mine around at 1st, gives a lower profile, but it was breathing warm air.
[img] Rescued attachment air filter.JPG
Rescued attachment air filter.JPG
[/img]
so we moved intakes as shown to get some cold air into it. original holes were sealed by a plate on the inside and outside of airbox and sealed with tiger seal and pop riveted, engine certainly runs better when in cold air stream
Rescued attachment air filter mod.JPG
Rescued attachment air filter mod.JPG

something I've always said and ReMan has also said old man honda wouldn't have spent millions designing and developing the airbox if a 50p bit of foam would do the job, after all it's hidden so it wasn't made for it's styling

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 13/4/12 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think everyone is missing the point, he is only interested in people who have done it with the cbr1000rr
enginearin

posted on 13/4/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I think everyone is missing the point, he is only interested in people who have done it with the cbr1000rr

Thanks for all the comments and photos, though Dangle is correct... the big issue with the CBR1000RR is the second set of injectors and the non symmetrical connection to the throttle bodies.

For completeness Tim Hoverd's excellent blog has the info required. See here for the modifications required:

http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/electrification/

mmm lots of plastic welding

Banana

posted on 19/2/17 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Nice bit of thread resurrection here.. But the photos above from mad butcher show my current standard air box.

I have a bonnet bulge and am thinking of a sealed feed from the opening into the air box to get some much need cold air.

Will this ram air and pressurising have an adverse effect on the carbs? Its been jetted and in my head this will work much like the AB air box.

Thoughts?

Boltsy

posted on 21/2/17 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
CBR Airbox

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

In order to keep the injectors pointing in the correct orientation, you need to turn the throttle bodies 180 deg. Easily done, then the standard airbox can be installed. There is a mod to do to create an intake tube, but AB Performance have a mold for that.
Equally they manufacture a low level airbox that will fit the CBR1000RR without turning the throttle bodies!

Limitation starts where the visions end - Jimmy Johnson

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Banana

posted on 22/2/17 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Well i already have a standard airbox, and im running carbs.

I'm just want to know if the ram air effect/pressure will cause any issues for the carbs?

40inches

posted on 22/2/17 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banana

I'm just want to know if the ram air effect/pressure will cause any issues for the carbs?

ZX9R not Fireblade but same principal. I ran the air feed to a scoop in the nosecone, I ran a tube from the carb equalisation port, with a plastic fuel filter inline, to the same point. Ran fine at any speed/revs.
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description

Banana

posted on 22/2/17 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lovely looking car..

Didn't the ZX9R originally have a ram air setup anyway, i don't think the Blade did

40inches

posted on 22/2/17 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Lovely looking car..

Didn't the ZX9R originally have a ram air setup anyway, i don't think the Blade did

Yes, hence the reason for the carb connection to the same point. Not sure about the Blade though

Mavrik

posted on 17/11/17 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't do it!! ... It will run like dog shit!!

My MK Indyblade with a '99 RRX lump has the original airbox & I plumbed flexi-hose to run in the air stream from the bonnet bulge/slit... Suffice to say it ran waaaay too lean!!

My Other Rides:

HRC Limited Edition RR-7 Fireblade

350zed HR 313 Convertible

Mercedes-Benz SLK Kompressor

MadMaxx

posted on 18/11/17 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
You can increase the main jet size

My re-building diary:

http://www.llcc.it/YetAnotherForum.NET/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13448

Mavrik

posted on 18/11/17 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMaxx
You can increase the main jet size

I'm already running a 132 main with Dynojet kit...

My Other Rides:

HRC Limited Edition RR-7 Fireblade

350zed HR 313 Convertible

Mercedes-Benz SLK Kompressor

Hopley89

posted on 18/11/17 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi chap

yes you can use the original air box but you have to

Turn the throttle boddies around
replace the small plastic access hole with alloy

just remember you have to change the wireing around as the throttle bodies
would get the wrong firing signal otherwise

I am running mine at the moment with just that modification but i am going to
get the single air intake from andy at ab think he said it was £5-£10

If you like pm your email and i’ll send you some pics

ATB
Hop

Hopley89

posted on 18/11/17 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and forgot to say you don’t need to cut hole in bonnet
👌🏻

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.