Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA
Macca

posted on 18/9/02 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
SVA

I can't narrow it down to one specific post but I'm led to believe that testing a bec offers up more problems than a cec. I am/was planning to build with the donors engine etc. get through the test and then convert to the bike motor.Am I doing the right thing? What are the problems testing the bec?
Help!
Col.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/9/02 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

First post on here, but I'm sure a couple of you will recognise me from the BEC Yahoo list
Theres no specific problem with getting a bike engine through SVA, like any other engine, if it is newer than 1995 then it needs a cat in the exhaust to meet emissions, but you could go for a 1993/94 blade or something similar and bypass that.
Noise is the only other thing that may catch you out, though its easy enough to get it through without resorting to OTT silencers.
The only real advantage of going with the donor engine/box for SVA / registration is that you've got a fighting chance of getting an age related plate rather than a Q, unless you build your car from totally new parts apart from the bike engine/box in which case you could possibly get a new "52" plate.
I would seriously think about all the things that you'd need to change if you do an engine transplant from the donor to a BEC afterwards, as there's a lot that would need changing, for example:
New engine mounting in chassis
New prop needed & new mounts in tunnel
Wiring will need redoing to splice in bike ECu and ignition system etc.
Instruments etc replaced or rewired (need 12+krpm rev counter etc, and donor speedo wont have a pickup on the bike gearbox)
New/modified cooling system
New exhaust and different sized cutouts in side panel (possibly need to re-panel the side?)
Modify fuel delivery with different fuel pump etc, also possibly require new tank and pipes if going for injected bike engine.
May even find you need to change springs etc to take into account 100kg weight loss in engine bay.

When I started building mine, I initially planned to do what you are doing, but I decided it was far too much hassle and went the direct route with bike engine to start with.

Chris

Jon Ison

posted on 18/9/02 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Chris......

Jon..... AKA stagsparty...

chrisg

posted on 18/9/02 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
AKA smelly arsed bastard!

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Jasper

posted on 18/9/02 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Jon AKA - Wot roundabout???

Good to see u here Chris...

paulf

posted on 18/9/02 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I am have a 96 blade engine that i obtained before i started building. However i am putting in a crossflow and planning to sell it after a little use and put any profits towards the extra parts for the bike engine installation such as the instruments and exhaust.
I have fitted basic instumentation and am planing on using a race type manifold that exits through the bonnet side as on the locost race cars. I will need a different bonnet anyway to suit the bike engine and can then cut the hole for the bike exhaust in the side panel.I am thinking of using a bike exhaust box with the crossflow so will then just need the manifold.
Paul.
quote:
I can't narrow it down to one specific post but I'm led to believe that testing a bec offers up more problems than a cec. I am/was planning to build with the donors engine etc. get through the test and then convert to the bike motor.Am I doing the right thing? What are the problems testing the bec?
Help!
Col.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/9/02 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcomes guys, and Jasper, thanks for the post regarding the chopped sump, I passed on your comments to John.
Are either of you down at Llandow this weekend?

Chris

Jasper

posted on 19/9/02 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
'fraid not, gotta work....have fun....
ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/9/02 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
It will be tricky, but I'll try

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.