Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: This weeks eBay numpty of the week
Jon Ison

posted on 10/2/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
This weeks eBay numpty of the week

Today after several back and forth emails to the point I have asked the buyer to cease and desist...

They have opened a dispute against us, significantly not as described, item in question a suction mounted towel rail.

Reason? It won't stick to a painted (so its sealed) breeze block wall.

And you know what, we will lose the dispute.

Eta because I know some on here think all eBay sellers are evil, once it was established (2nd of 20+ messages) what they where trying to stick it to I offered a full refund of all monies paid including out going postage if they wish to return it, that puts us both out of pocket by the same amount plus I would have a second hand item to sell, they will not accept this but insist it should secure to their wall and I should refund return postage too as its my fault.

[Edited on 10/2/14 by Jon Ison]

daniel mason

posted on 10/2/14 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
just pop round and tigerseal it on!
then they will probably complain when they cant remove it,as its stuck too well!

T66

posted on 10/2/14 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I sold an IKEA oven 3 weeks ago, in the picture you could see the 13amp plug. The advert said it had a 13amp plug....

Recieved 10 emails asking me if it had a plug on it. Thick as mince..............

If it was up to me, the oven would of went in the skip than put up with the pathetic dickheads asking steadily more stupid questions. Hate ebay with a passion.

As far as the towel rail is concerned, they win you lose. Refund them now and reduce your stress.

plentywahalla

posted on 10/2/14 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately giving a full refund doesn't protect you from the revenge of the morons.

I sold a fully fitted out cylinder head clearly stating it needed welding and was for spares or repair. The buyer claimed it was damaged and that I had sold it as good condition. I gave a full refund including postage. They never returned it .... And still gave me negative feedback!!

EBay does nothing to protect sellers from idiots, morons and swindlers. All their protection is directed to buyers.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

chrism

posted on 10/2/14 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Even if they open a dispute they wont normally force you to refund them until they send it back at their cost, so dont give them a refund until you receive it back.

I've had a few of messers before who have messaged me to say something I sold wasnt working and they wanted a refund, so I asked them to return it for testing and I would refund them if it wasn't working. 2 of them never made any further contact and 1 of them demanded a 50% refund to cover the return postage and when I refused to make any refund until the item was returned they opened a paypal dispute, to which I replied that I had asked the buyer to return the item for testing, then when paypal instructed them that they had to return the item the buyer ended up closing the dispute.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

morcus

posted on 10/2/14 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
From what I see on here does eBay actually offer protection to any one buyers or sellers? I've barely used the site because most of my experiences with it have been poor and because ordering stuff to my billing address is viewed by paypal as suspicous activity and as a result they keep blocking my account and I've given up trying to fix it.

Surely if you didn't specify it would fit to a painted breeze block wall thats their issue and not yours?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

r1_pete

posted on 11/2/14 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Was it one of your 1000mm towel rails?

If so how long is it

Beggers belief how people can get so far in life being so stupid....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 11/2/14 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
From what I see on here does eBay actually offer protection to any one buyers or sellers?

I think the only thing that's actually protected is their profits, they pretty much win whatever the outcome.

Duncan36

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I sold a printer toner last week. It was sealed in the plastic bag inside the original box. I got an email to say i had sent a used cartridge and they wanted a refund. The theifing pikey is trying to send back his empty toner saying it's the one i sold. Nothing i can do apart from refund them !!!

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

Benzine

posted on 11/2/14 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Sold a banger a few weeks back, sold for £160 spares or repairs. Sent a message to buyer after end of auction "when would you like to collect, here's my number etc" Two days later "can you send pics of the inside?" Alarm bells ring. No more contact for a week, then open a dispute, no more contact from them, I get fees cancelled. Car sitting on drive for a couple of weeks. If it was a CD or a gearbox, then it's a slight pain having it sitting around, but 1200kg of car...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 11/2/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a table cloth which my wife liked and the measurements were perfect but when it arrived it was round not rectangular as described. I contacted the seller who failed to get back to me for a week so I opened a dispute. They got back and said they would issue a refund but I never saw anything arrive in my paypal and contacted them again with no reply for another week. Finally ebay gave me a courtesy refund including postage meaning they had stumped up the cash themselves and I get to keep the table cloth which is of no use to me and the supplier gets to keep their cash as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bobinspain

posted on 11/2/14 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
ebay thremselves are utterly hopeless to deal with.

I spotted a one yr old Beemer soft top (3 series) up for auction, with the alarming message appended, "Buy it now price 7,500 pounds. Seller fallen on hard times." Obviously a scam, added to the fact that the same ad' had appeared two weeks previously in two formats. One by the genuine owner/seller and the other by the same scammer. I reported the ad' to ebay via client services, describing chapter and verse what I saw as the problem. Having typed everything out clearly and concisely, the moron on the other end came back with, "you wish to report a problem, right?" I simply suggested he re-read my message and signed off pronto.

Another real bug-bear with car ad's on ebay is the ridiculously phrased (ambiguous) question "Drive side?" Even professional garages interpret this as 'which side of the road do you drive on?' and thus list right-hookers under Left Hand Drive. It's totally crass and at any one time, there must be 30% of cars listed as LHD which are missing their market as they are RHD. I've complained to ebay. Result--- Sweet F.A.

Despite the above, I've shopped and sold stuff on ebay for 10 years and have 100% feedback with over 310 deals. The secret is communication (lots of it) and careful vetting of the seller/buyer by meticulous scrutiny of their feedback. I've bought and sold 5k Rolexes with no bother from buyer or seller. Postage, however, is a different matter. For anything of real value, I recommend DHL or Fedex. Rant over !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.