Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC WITH A GOOD BUILD MANUAL
raydaffurn

posted on 14/3/18 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
BEC WITH A GOOD BUILD MANUAL

Looking at building a Bec fancied a busa for the obvious reasons.

Spoke to Westfield who gave me the pricelist for the Kit which is £16.5k not inc engine, dry sump, gearbox, wheels and tyres etc.

Add a few changes to the spec playskool arb and protech shocks and full roll cage an iva cost and the build would over £25k i would imagine.

What other options do i have im looking to spend £15-18k and would like to do a build rather than buy a used one already done.

Issue is im not a mechanic so really looking for something with a decent build manual that i could actually build. Reseaching westfield was the one that kept cropping up.

Going to the stoneleigh show in may for a look about but would like an idea before going.

nelmo

posted on 14/3/18 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
You may want to re-consider a BEC if you're a beginner. When I researched my build, they seemed more work than the standard Mazda MX5 or Ford car engines (you need to fit a reversing motor, get driveshafts specially made etc). All the main kit makers are better setup for car engines. Few makers do build manuals and of those that do, I've heard they're not much good. Much better to read other people's blogs and ask questions on forums.

Westfield and Caterham are stupid expensive - look up GBS, Tiger, MNR, Roadrunner - much cheaper.

Link to my build blog in my sig below...

[Edited on 14/3/18 by nelmo]

Build Blog

CosKev3

posted on 14/3/18 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
If I was you I would buy a used car engined Westfield thats already registered etc and convert it to bike power.

Assuming you have someone that could help you make the engine cradle and weld the mounting points to the chassis?

[Edited on 14/3/18 by CosKev3]

ReMan

posted on 14/3/18 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
with your budget, unless the build is the real driver for you, I'd be looking for a built and very nice BEC and save the stress
None of them are truly bolt together kits, except for Caterham and westfield

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Perpetrator

posted on 15/3/18 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
MNR have great aftersales and would help you with anything you would like.

They are also considerably cheaper (50%) cheaper than westfield and look better in my opinion.
(I have had both)

Their quality isn't as high but its not low enough to cause concern.

HTH.

SJ

posted on 15/3/18 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
From my experience with MK the term 'build manual' doesn't properly describe the instructions with the kit.

It would be a lie to say it was as bad as 1. Fit suspension; 2. install engine & box; 3.Fit wheels etc., but it wouldn't be a big lie!

Daf

posted on 15/3/18 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble is there are so many variables which are builder specific it's very difficult to make a generic manual. Have a look at the GBS Zero, I don't have one myself but I have had a number of dealings with GBS and they've been beyond helpful - their new kit looks impressive too with all custom uprights - that's what I'm planning on building next.

The best bet with regards to a manual is use the search function on this forum - guaranteed if you have a problem someone will have had it before, failing that ask the question - most folks on here are super friendly and helpful.

raydaffurn

posted on 15/3/18 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, doing an actual build was going to be half the fun for me to be honest. Kinda at a loose end the now and like to keep myself busy and would love just sitting in the garage radio on and working through the build and then getting to then end and knowing id actually built the kit myself from start to finish.

As I said im a non mechanic looking at the westfield build manual I reckon i could tackle that. I race karts and know my way round them no problem however theres not much on a kart. If I could do a westfield build then after that doing a different kit should be a lot easier. Prices from westfield are just mega expensive.

Im going to the show at stoneligh so was wanting to get an idea if there was any other builds that had a good enough manual to actually complete similiar to what westfield have produced.

Need to do a bit more digging and see what feedback i get from going to the show.

Daf

posted on 15/3/18 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
here about in the country are you? Might be some local members willing to chat and offer some advice?

Don't get hung up too much on the instructions, I bought my "kit" as an unstartled project off eBay with no instructions - not the best idea in hindsight but managed nonetheless!

Stevie_P

posted on 15/3/18 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like buying a built one and converting it may be the answer.
You get some experience of building and it should come in below or on your budget.

I've got an MK Indy R I'm building and as other have said, it's not really a bolt together kit as such ..

Steve

nick205

posted on 15/3/18 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Many, if not most, builders on here are not mechanics so don't let that stop you or even put you off. This forum will answer pretty much any car build related question you have.

Regarding a "build manual" I'm not sure any kits come with a totally comprehensive manual. Again really don't let that put you off. This forum and the internet are your friends who'll help you.

raydaffurn

posted on 16/3/18 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I want to do the actual build and Westfield seems to have the best manual and looks to hold their value so im thinking maybe going down the s2000 route should be easier than a BEC as others have suggested and should work out cheaper with more performance.

Defo going to the show to get a look at and talk to some owners before making my mind up tho.

CosKev3

posted on 16/3/18 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
S2000 engines are getting quite rare though,and are expensive.

If I was going car engined Westfield I would go for the Ecoboost Sport250.

But source your own engine rather than paying the Westfield premium price

raydaffurn

posted on 16/3/18 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder much they would take off price of the £27k kit if they took off engine gearbox wheels and tyres and got them myself.

I’ll drop them a mail as that would give me a comparison vs the s2000 kit

ReMan

posted on 16/3/18 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like your sill not sold on the CEC/BEC dilemma yet?
I think whatever way you go on a build or buy you need to sort that in your head first
As said get to Stoneligh, blag a ride in a few too then decide.
You may not be a mechanic , but you may also be lacking in confidence and they're not that hard.
Someone I know wanted to enjoy a build and built a Catereham in 2 weeks.Pretty pointless in my eyes.....

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

CosKev3

posted on 16/3/18 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raydaffurn
Wonder much they would take off price of the £27k kit if they took off engine gearbox wheels and tyres and got them myself.

Steve (sdh2903) off here built a Sport250 for just over 20k IIRC sourcing his own parts as you say, was a really nice car too with some high spec parts

[Edited on 16/3/18 by CosKev3]

raydaffurn

posted on 16/3/18 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Sounds like your sill not sold on the CEC/BEC dilemma yet?
I think whatever way you go on a build or buy you need to sort that in your head first
As said get to Stoneligh, blag a ride in a few too then decide.
You may not be a mechanic , but you may also be lacking in confidence and they're not that hard.
Someone I know wanted to enjoy a build and built a Catereham in 2 weeks.Pretty pointless in my eyes.....

I really want to build one thats no1 on my list to be honest.
I was wanting to originally go down the BEC Busa route for how sheer acceleration, and sound.
S2000 was appealing as claimed 0-60 in 3.2 so faster than the busa, higher top speed than a BEC and high revving motor.
The ecotec one being a lighter engine and same bhp ish as the s2000 id expect it to be just as quick as the s2000 then?

Blagging a ride - this just from the owners at the show?

raydaffurn

posted on 16/3/18 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by raydaffurn

Steve (sdh2903) off here built a Sport250 for just over 20k IIRC sourcing his own parts as you say, was a really nice car too with some high spec parts

Ill maybe need to drop him a mail then as just checked and hes in Renfrewshire so same town as I work in.

CosKev3

posted on 16/3/18 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would be very surprised if a S2000 powered one will keep with a 2 ltr Ecoboost!
Torque will be way higher on a Ecoboost car
Don't get too worried about top speed either,they are not nice above 100mph,and above 120mph you really are hanging on!
Quick ratio steering rack and the lack of weight means any sort of bumps at high speed become very interesting

raydaffurn

posted on 16/3/18 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
I would be very surprised if a S2000 powered one will keep with a 2 ltr Ecoboost!
Torque will be way higher on a Ecoboost car
Don't get too worried about top speed either,they are not nice above 100mph,and above 120mph you really are hanging on!
Quick ratio steering rack and the lack of weight means any sort of bumps at high speed become very interesting

Ohh can’t wait then lol.

So 0-60 s2000 3.2 that about right?

What you thinking for the eco boost just marginally under that?

Also what’s cheaper to tune into if needed?

CosKev3

posted on 16/3/18 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I would think the ecoboost being a turbo would just need a remap to give it too much power to be properly use able!
I think S2000 engines are very expensive to tune,can stick ITB's on them for a few BHP and a nice noise but going above that you are talking big money

0-60 times are like the MPG manufacturers quote on tin tops,unobtainable by the average driver!!!

HappyFather

posted on 16/3/18 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you're going to Stoneleigh (I went there with the wife when selecting too, best thing I did; I loved it, the wife too and got her in the idea) check Aries Motorsport. http://www.ariesmotorsport.com/
The Loco is built for a CBR1000 engine. Under the new management, Aries has teamed up with AB Performance, the masters of Honda engines (and much more), which is great for Aries and their customers.
When I bought and built mine, there was no manual. I believe the new management wrote up something. Check with them... Otherwise, check my build blog (http://happyblade.blogspot.com/). I knew nothing of mechanics when I started (not that I know much more now, but it works!!!)

Pretty affordable, thought to be bike engined and great people behind it.

[Edited on 16/3/18 by HappyFather]

Hopley89

posted on 17/3/18 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look a few post down on my cbr1000rr mk indy R on dyno,

maybe a consideration MK with bec set up, busa or blade

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.