Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil cooler pipes?
Nickp

posted on 5/7/18 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oil cooler pipes?

Oil cooler pipes now professionally crimped by Pirtek after a couple messy 'blow offs'. Only when he'd finished did I mention the temperature rating of the sae100r6-10 pipe, which is sold by all the major suppliers, Mocal etc. I bought it advertised at 125deg max temp and this seems the norm (120-130deg) for anyone trying to sell it. However, Pirtek reckon it's only rated at 100deg which is confirmed if you Google its specification. My oil temp peaked at 110deg, so somewhere between the 2 figures. Pirtek have quoted me £176 for 2 hoses totaling 1m in length for a Teflon lined braided hose!! Oof!!

So should I stick with this commonly used pipe or stump up virtually the cost of my entire engine for 2 pipes??

Description
Description

big_wasa

posted on 5/7/18 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
There must be a hefty commercial safety margin?
Nickp

posted on 5/7/18 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
There must be a hefty commercial safety margin?

I've no idea tbh. Max operating temp, to me, means things start going wrong then. ie hose softens enough to allow clamps to loosen off, which I think is what happened to mine.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 5/7/18 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Picture looks like the typical shiny elastomer hose. The Goodridge equivalent, I guess, would perhaps be the 536 hose which Goodridge recommend 100C tops, with a warning not to use this as turbo plumbing.

Mocal do the 100R6 as a stainless braided alternative, which I'm guessing would be a better bet and not too expensive. Aeroquip hose, nitrile overbraid might also be a better bet (150C).

I use the 811 Goodridge, which is wunderbar, assemble it yourself, simply won't fail. The cheaper alternative has always been the 200/210 Goodridge, but the definition of 'cheaper' may well be lost here. Added expense will be you're using BSP, the aforementioned are JIC, so you'll need a converter.

Give the likes of Merlin a call.

snapper

posted on 6/7/18 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
I used Hydrahose to make mine.
They are a much thicker much stiffer hose and you have to be very accurate when mocking up as you won’t twist them, although they will bend

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Andybarbet

posted on 6/7/18 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Let me check what we have at work. U2U me a phone number & I will see what we charge for similar pipes.

I'm a hydraulic hose engineer by the way but we are a smaller company so it might be more affordable.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Nickp

posted on 6/7/18 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
Let me check what we have at work. U2U me a phone number & I will see what we charge for similar pipes.

I'm a hydraulic hose engineer by the way but we are a smaller company so it might be more affordable.

Cheers Andy. I'd be interested to hear a price but the u2u doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment

Dingz

posted on 6/7/18 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Aeroquip hose, nitrile overbraid might also be a better bet (150C).
No Nitrile hose unless it is HNBR will be rated at 150°!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.