Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zzr1100 wiring
nick9one1

posted on 17/7/18 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
zzr1100 wiring

I'm now at the point where I'm wiring the bike loom to the car.

I've stripped out a lot of the loom already, lights, clocks etc.

For simplicity I think I'd also like to ditch the junction box and fuel pump relay.

Am I right in thinking I can just power the fuel pump from a switched 12v supply?

I've colour coded the remains of my stripped loom

russbost

posted on 17/7/18 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm rather rusty on the ZZR1100 now, long time since I did my twin ZX10's which is basically the same engine & loom. When I did mine I kept the junction box simply because I wasn't certain of everything it did? I was never clear on what the block of 4 terminals shown in the centre of that junction box did?

However, that said it's a very simple engine/loom & certainly no reason why you can't just run the pump from a fused ignition feed, it is after all only a low pressure pump

Don't forget the 100 ohm resistor in the feed to the igniter, grey wire IIRC unless you're running the original ign sw.

Atr present your diagram appears to be showing the side stand & neutral wiring still being part of the loom, unless you only want to be able to start in neutral you'll need to bridge those out, I put my light green to earth back at the junction box & disconnected the front section from the back if you follow me, so it kept the neutral light, but got rid of the "in gear defeat", I also connected green/white to earth to get rid of side stand sw. - but if you're getting rid of the junction box, then I think you will automatically remove those

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick9one1

posted on 17/7/18 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks! I'd read about the resistor but had forgotten.

I'm struggling to understand the junction box diagram too, although I think I have it cracked now.

Basically the only pins from the junction box that matters is the Yellow/Red, which is a switched 12v to the starter - This can be supplied 12v from a key or momentary start button.

how to delete your

then I realised I had a D2 nota D3..

ammonium sulfate symbol

[Edited on 17/7/18 by nick9one1]

[Edited on 17/7/18 by nick9one1]

russbost

posted on 18/7/18 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
That actually is far simpler! & yes, can't see any reason not to ditch the junction box, you should be able to get rid of a substantial chunk of loom too!

Don't forget you will still want the front "half" of the LG wire for your neutral light

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick9one1

posted on 18/7/18 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I just found this diagram elsewhere on the forum...
It's for the 2 plug C models not the 9 pin single plug D's. But it certainly helps a lot.

[Edited on 18/7/18 by nick9one1]

nick9one1

posted on 21/7/18 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Here is my final 'slim' loom (might be useful for others).

The 9 pin D igniter is quite a bit different to the C from looking at the wiring diagram.

Obviouly it has the grey wire which you need to feed 12v through a 100ohm resistor. But it has a green/black that needs to be connected to negative, and a yellow/red that gets 12v when the starter motor is turning (maybe it changes the timing when cranking?).

delete paypal business account

[Edited on 21/7/18 by nick9one1]

russbost

posted on 21/7/18 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
That's a great little diagram, I do recall that whilst the various igniters look identical, & IIRC all have the same plug, only some are interchangeable with one another.

Do let us know if it all runs fine when done!

nick9one1

posted on 21/7/18 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

haha yes, whether it runs will be the test!

I think the earlier C zzr's had two white plugs on the igniter, and no grey wire. The later D models moved to a single round grey plug and added the extra grey wire.

[Edited on 21/7/18 by nick9one1]

nick9one1

posted on 2/8/18 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm my wiring diagram works.

First ever start...

[Edited on 2/8/18 by nick9one1]

russbost

posted on 3/8/18 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Should make the loom a LOT neater & easier to seal with. So the engine is at the back & driving forward, so I assume the diff is "flipped" (otherwise it's gonna go very fast backwards!) - what diff are you using? Also is the car going to go thro' IVA?

nick9one1

posted on 3/8/18 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yep rear engine, (freelander) diff flipped.

The car is based on the 1303 'super beetle' with McPherson struts at the front.
Quite a lot is swapped out with 944 parts - Rear trailing arms, front and rear hubs, front and rear brakes and wheels.

I'm retaining enough points from the conversion for it to be classed as a radically altered vehicle, so no IVA needed

It retains its age related plate, requires no road tax, but because I have swapped the engine I miss out on not needing an MOT.

[Edited on 3/8/18 by nick9one1]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.