Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chain Drive Diff to CV Sealing - Need some advise
woodsy144

posted on 29/8/19 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
Chain Drive Diff to CV Sealing - Need some advise

Hello Team,

I am trying to sort out diff sealing of a chain drive system.
I believe I have it all sorted except for 1 item, diff to CV sealing,
I don't want oil going down the spline and spewing out.

If anyone has done some work on this? Has some ideas? Pictures? Anything to assist my cause it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tim

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 29/8/19 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Usual methodology to avoid the oil seepage is to remove the oil from the equation, easily accomplished using a Helical/Torsen/ATB differential filled with grease. Of course, you knew that, but you've got an oil filled can.

Jedi used Mini output flanges either side of their bearing carriers for their oil-filled differentials. These contained both a plain bearing and (importantly) an oil seal on the outputs. A bit of oil still generally weeps, some out through the welch plug within the Mini pot-joint outputs - solved with a little epoxy around the plug.

russbost

posted on 29/8/19 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I use the standard Toyota donor diff modified to chain drive, I simply have the open sides of the diff tig welded & a bung & grease nipple added then fill the diff with grease. there's absolutely no need for oil, the oil is to lube the crown wheel/pinion which you don't have.

Obviously without seeing what you've got, don't know if that's a practical solution?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
woodsy144

posted on 29/8/19 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,
Basically I have a torson diff, I have a 'can' around the main unit and a sprocket attached. Welsh plugs are used to seal the open other side of the sprocket mount.
My thinking was grease wasn't as durable on the gears as oil is. Therefore oil is preferred.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/8/19 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing the Welsh plugs you refer to are there to stop the Leeks.... I'll get my coat.

OK, so if this is a Torsen/Helical/ATB type then Grease is the word, it's got groove, it's got meaning.

Oil is essential in a plate differential, useful in an open planet differential, but not so essential for the helical gear situation.

Of course, this is my own experience, worth nothing and should be taken as such, others are far more wise than I. However, Quaife ATB's filled with grease have served me on the track for many years without complaint.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.