Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How best register/insure a body kit
johnH20

posted on 28/5/19 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
How best register/insure a body kit

Not sure where best to post this so here goes. I am looking for my next project - needs to be a car with a roof to complement my track car - no roof and no heater! I am having dark thoughts about a body kit, something like a Blackburn SPR1 or Tribute SWB 250. The base car for both are £1 or £3 but the completed project to my acceptance standards is likely to be up to 10 times that. So how to deal with insurance value and registration. Would it be better to put it through IVA as a kit car and register it in a kit makers name ( if possible ) or somehow get it accepted ( for insurance ) as a modified car at some multiple of the base car value. These are first thoughts but I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has been down this road.
russbost

posted on 29/5/19 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
John, my understanding of the various bodykits is that you contact DVLA giving them details of the base car & that it has had new bolt on bodypanels fitted & now has a different appearance, I believe they are happy to then modify the make/model to an extent, for instance I would imagine you'd get Mazda Tribute 250 without too much problem.

Once registered in that vein if the usual insurance peeps are approached, A plan, Sykes etc then I think you'd get it insured either as a kit car or a classic, not sure, but why not have a chat with them, I've always found A plan Thatcham very approachable & helpful

BTW it's the Blackwell SPR1 - you do know he's local don't you?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
johnH20

posted on 29/5/19 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Russ, thanks for the correction and yes I have met Wayne. I must pay him a visit sometime. Above thoughts are very preliminary - after the second glass of wine!
russbost

posted on 29/5/19 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe you need a 3rd glass! Make it a large one!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.