Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strange PC problem
cerbera

posted on 9/8/15 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Strange PC problem

Had this PC for a few years and decided to do a bit of an upgrade.
It was running 2GB of Ram and a standard hard drive. I've added an extra 4GB of Ram and a 250GB SSD.

After installing windows 10 I've noticed that every second boot the PC will switch itself off when it gets to the windows boot screen.
So it goes regular as clockwork, switch on PC get to the windows logo screen, PC switches off. Switch on PC again and Windows starts without any issues and the PC works as normal.

Anyone have any ideas??

Ta.

blakep82

posted on 9/8/15 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Not related, but is it a 32 or 64 bit system?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cerbera

posted on 9/8/15 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
64 bit.

In the meantime I have gone back to my original memory in their old configuration and the problem persists. Tries all different combinations of the 4 sticks of memory and the problem persists.

The new memory is the same speed as the old ie DDR2 800MHz.

I'm now looking at resetting the CMOS to see if this will help.

[Edited on 9/8/15 by cerbera]

[Edited on 9/8/15 by cerbera]

Slimy38

posted on 9/8/15 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
To me it sounds like a failed Windows update that keeps getting retried. Windows 10 is delivered with automatic update active unless you switch it off.
cerbera

posted on 9/8/15 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
CMOS reset did nowt.
Stot

posted on 10/8/15 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
You may be able to see whats causing it in the Event Viewer.

Start the PC up, take a note of the time and let it switch off doing what its doing then wait a few minutes so that you have a good reference point in the event logs to scroll back and find. If a driver or something is causing it it may be in there and give you a clue.

Cheers
Stot

cerbera

posted on 11/8/15 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd post that I fixed it in case anyone else has similar issues.

When I installed the SSD I should have gone into the bios and changed the SATA type from IDE to AHCI prior to installing windows.
Perhaps this is just peculiar to my motherboard, and maybe new ones will do it automatically.

Anyway, had to do another clean install of Windows 10 but made sure of this setting first. Now I don't have the strange boot issues.

efiniste

posted on 13/8/15 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
This can also be caused by the fast boot setting in power management. I had it happen on every first boot when I upgraded to 8.1. Fixed it by disabling fast boot but it reared its head again when I upgraded the same machine to 10. Lo and behold the default Win 10 fast boot setting is on.
I think it's caused by some motherboard power management settings not being compatible with Win 8.1 and upwards. Changing to AHCI would alter that, disabling fast boot bypasses it.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.