Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 brake master cylinder pushrod
Slimy38

posted on 16/1/18 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 brake master cylinder pushrod

Hi all, I have another question around the MX5 master cylinder. The various braking options all mention removing the brake servo, and using a rounded off bolt to operate the master cylinder. But if I compare this with the newly purchased clutch cylinder, I can see the clutch cylinder has a retained pushrod to operate the master cylinder.

This makes me wonder whether I'm missing something for the brake MC, with it just being a rounded bolt pushing on a piston. There's no retention, no circlip, rubber boot or anything that would keep the bolt in place on the piston. There's the brake pedal movement limiter, but is it permitted to have a pushrod that is not fixed to the MC?

Am I reading too much into it, is it safe to just have a pushrod 'in place' on the MC, and retained by nothing more than the pedal range?

ianhurley20

posted on 16/1/18 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry - don't know what your earlier questions were and not really answering this one

I kept everything as it came out of the MX5 including the servo. It all works a treat!

WallerZero

posted on 17/1/18 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have rounded bolts for pushrods on my Zero for both clutch and brake. Never had any issues once set up right. Pedal travel has kept them in and working for 4 years no problems

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

JAG

posted on 17/1/18 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Pedal travel and circumstance will keep the handmade pushrod in place.

BUT if it falls out - you have no brakes!

I'm a Professional Engineer and that's not a risk I would be prepared to take with my life or worse still with the life of my passenger.

I fitted a Servo on my car and it works very well.

If you insist on removing the Servo then create a mechanism to retain the pushrod in the master cylinder

Like this....

[Edited on 17/1/18 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Slimy38

posted on 17/1/18 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Pedal travel and circumstance will keep the handmade pushrod in place.

BUT if it falls out - you have no brakes!

I'm a Professional Engineer and that's not a risk I would be prepared to take with my life or worse still with the life of my passenger.

I fitted a Servo on my car and it works very well.

If you insist on removing the Servo then create a mechanism to retain the pushrod in the master cylinder

Like this....

[Edited on 17/1/18 by JAG]

My thoughts exactly, I was thinking it only takes a small amount of wear on some component to allow the pushrod to drop out. I'm definitely a belt and braces person!

I like the retaining washer idea though, I did think it wouldn't have to be overly complex. The plunger at the moment comes up to the circlip so I'll have to see what I can do without compromising the return position.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.