Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats used from a donor car
Ausflo

posted on 19/2/18 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
Whats used from a donor car

Hi I'm thinking of going down the route of an mx5 locost build. Would it be worth buying a donor car or would i just end up with loads of parts left. I would like to do it so I can transfer the reg so surprise I'm answering my own question but just wondered what I would actually use ie engine,axles,suspension.
Cheers Dave

CosKev3

posted on 19/2/18 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
You can't swap the registration number onto the kit car,you get a registration that's age related,so from the same year the donor was registered.

If you are willing to sell on all the parts you don't need you can make back a lot of the cost of the donor car.

Depending which chassis you go for you can use:diff/front and rear hubs/uprights/brakes/steering column/engine/gearbox

loggyboy

posted on 19/2/18 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
You can transfer registrations to (non Q plated) kits, but as above, when you register using the donor route you will not get the same plate as the donor, only the same year identifier. So if the donor has a plate you wish to keep (personal or just cherished) stick it on retention before you break it, and then you can transfer it back to the Kit car after its been registered.

[Edited on 19-2-18 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Ausflo

posted on 19/2/18 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I bought the chassis off eBay already made up and believe it is based on the Ron champion book no pepper work with it. It has all the brackets fitted for Sierra suspension but wantedto go for something more sporty so thought of the mx5 and it also came with the mx5 locket manual.
johnH20

posted on 23/3/18 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have been doing some work on my MX5 of late. While tackling the inevitable rust it got me thinking. Does anyone do a 'drop in' chassis for all the MX5 mechanicals. By that I mean front and rear sub frames and complete driveline assembly. All these are pretty robust , its the tin ware that rots. Might solve a lot of problems of suspension geometry/alignment among other things. Would not be the lightest approach but would sure speed up the build for a lot of people. Locost too! Business opportunity for someone?
jps

posted on 23/3/18 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
I have been doing some work on my MX5 of late. While tackling the inevitable rust it got me thinking. Does anyone do a 'drop in' chassis for all the MX5 mechanicals. By that I mean front and rear sub frames and complete driveline assembly. All these are pretty robust , its the tin ware that rots. Might solve a lot of problems of suspension geometry/alignment among other things. Would not be the lightest approach but would sure speed up the build for a lot of people. Locost too! Business opportunity for someone?

This appears to use basically everything from the MX5 'cept the body: http://www.mevltd.co.uk/kit-cars/mev-replicar

andrew.carwithen

posted on 24/3/18 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20

This appears to use basically everything from the MX5 'cept the body: http://www.mevltd.co.uk/kit-cars/mev-replicar

The Replicar kit is no longer produced by MEV but is now under my ownership ANC Sportscars Ltd
As you rightly say it uses the MX5 NA or NB mechanicals in their entirety (lift the body off to expose the power plant frame, bolt on our chassis followed by the GRP body.)
Thus geometry, steering, braking drivetrain etc is as per the MX5.
My website explains more. www.ancsportscars.co.uk You can also find us on Facebook @ANCsportscars
Will be exhibiting at Stoneleigh if you want a closer look.

Andy.

johnH20

posted on 24/3/18 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, just checked it out. You deserve to be a winner with that. If I was building again it would be top of my list. Concept makes so much sense. Good luck

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.