Board logo

Amy Winehouse Dead!
Ben_Copeland - 23/7/11 at 05:31 PM

Amy Winehouse, who has died aged 27, was one of the most talented singer-songwriters of her generation, but struggled with substance abuse problems.

The Metropolitan Police said that officers were called to an address in Camden Square by London Ambulance Service shortly before 4.05pm after a woman was found dead

[Edited on 23/7/11 by Ben_Copeland]

alistairolsen - 23/7/11 at 05:38 PM

quote:

who has died aged 27, was one of the most talented singer-songwriters of her generation, but struggled with substance abuse problems

Sounds Familiar!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

Personally for me the more concerning news is this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356

Which by my recollection is the biggest killing in the western hemisphere since 11/9/01

snakebelly - 23/7/11 at 05:39 PM

A sad loss but no real surprise really

designer - 23/7/11 at 05:41 PM

Personally, I have no sympathy.

She was a 'good' singer, but no role model.

Yazza54 - 23/7/11 at 05:46 PM

Wasted talent, no surprise

shindha - 23/7/11 at 05:51 PM

Sad loss really some of her music even an old fogey like me liked, nobody wants to be on drugs and nobody wants to see thier dear ones in the state drugs can put people into or loose them at such a young age.
Condolences to all her near and dear.

coozer - 23/7/11 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
one of the most talented singer-songwriters of her generation,

Got be kidding right?? She couldn't shout shout coal without the recording studio!

Theres a MASSIVE Q of more talented peeps in front of her!

Hellfire - 23/7/11 at 05:58 PM

It's quite sad but she's been on self destruct for years...

Phil

lewis - 23/7/11 at 06:02 PM

If drug related then serves her right,no one made her take drugs,she was a junky

steve m - 23/7/11 at 06:05 PM

Amy who ???

Ben_Copeland - 23/7/11 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:

Got be kidding right?? She couldn't shout shout coal without the recording studio!

Just copied from news report....

Personally her music was ok, but not something i'd listen to that much

dlatch - 23/7/11 at 06:08 PM

was always going to end that way sadly

slingshot2000 - 23/7/11 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:

I am with Steve on this, definetely a +1 from me !

Doctor Derek Doctors - 23/7/11 at 06:15 PM

Another dead junky, sadly its her family who will really suffer and add the media intrusion they will suffer on top of that. It is a terrible time for them.

On the flip side I'm sure all the junkies and dealers who enabled her will convince themselves they did nothing wrong and that she was some sort angel who was destined to die young.

Wadders - 23/7/11 at 06:20 PM

Bollocks, i had my money on Pete Doherty

Ninehigh - 23/7/11 at 06:27 PM

As my missus said, anyone who is going to be writing about troubled times in their life will relive it every time, and the more famous (and thus more performances you do) there's going to be more desire to "have a little something to ease the pain"

Before you know it you drinking Jack by the bottle and snorting lines as long as the table, then your heart gives out.

Isn't that the same story with most of the troubled stars? Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain (ok he didn't OD but my point still stands)

britishtrident - 23/7/11 at 06:51 PM

No big surprise we live in a world where the less talent you have and the scummier you are makes you more likely to be a super star. Yes many great talents from Byron, all the way through Oscar Wilde, DH, Lawerence, T E Lawence, Hendrix and Joplin have lived alternative lifestyles but they had talent.

A couple of miles down the road from me a guy on bail from major drug deal charges died when he crashed his Scooby into a lamp post at high velocity it has been turned into a shrine --- nuff said.

Paul TigerB6 - 23/7/11 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
A couple of miles down the road from me a guy on bail from major drug deal charges died when he crashed his Scooby into a lamp post at high velocity it has been turned into a shrine --- nuff said.

I could almost live with that - in return for the knowledge that what is likely to be in excess of a million pounds will be saved in trying and then jailing that type of scum!!

As for Amy - no great loss as far as i'm concerned. 85 kids in Norway however............... Kinda puts the life and death of that junkie into perspective really

NigeEss - 23/7/11 at 08:18 PM

The sad thing is that her father was on a transatlantic flight as the anouncement was made. He probably
will be the last to find out.

Strontium Dog - 23/7/11 at 08:20 PM

Hmm, I would have though a little more respect for someones passing would be in order. I don't care what or who she was but she has died and left loved ones! She was a person and I doubt she ever did any of you any harm even if she did hurt herself!

I too am moved by the events in Norway which should be more newsworthy and of note! This is a truly terrible thing that happened

Paul TigerB6 - 23/7/11 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog
Hmm, I would have though a little more respect for someones passing would be in order. I don't care what or who she was but she has died and left loved ones! She was a person and I doubt she ever did any of you any harm even if she did hurt herself!

I'm afraid I like many have obviously have little respect for someone so hell bent on self destruction and who i'm sure in coming days will find didnt die a natural death. I do however feel for her family and loved ones.

This week other than the tragedy in Norway, we've seen 5 people seemingly murdered in a Stockport hospital. It is the likes of these victims who get my utmost respect and sympathies. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's my feelings

scootz - 23/7/11 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Isn't that the same story with most of the troubled stars? Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain (ok he didn't OD but my point still stands)

Kurt Cobain always struck me as being incredibly vain and desperate for legendary status (despite himself and his many fans claiming the exact opposite!). He spoke of joining the '27 Club' since childhood... I'm just surprised he didn't shoot himself at 00:01 on the day of his 27th birthday for maximum dramatic effect!

As for Winehouse... can't deny that when she was on form, she was on fire! That said, hers was always going to be a dramatic demise such was the absolute chaos of her life.

Andi - 23/7/11 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog

I too am moved by the events in Norway which should be more newsworthy and of note! This is a truly terrible thing that happened

+1 on both counts

Andi

BenB - 23/7/11 at 09:00 PM

quote:
...Isn't that the same story with most of the troubled stars? Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain (ok he didn't OD but my point still stands)

Yes he did. He ODd on lead. Shamoan

DRC INDY 7 - 24/7/11 at 07:11 AM

So if it was you're daughter or son that had died through drug/alcohol related problems you would be on here saying what a waste of space and that the person deserved to die ...........................

I do not think so. so why all the heartless coments about a person you only know through the media?

MikeRJ - 24/7/11 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
So if it was you're daughter or son that had died through drug/alcohol related problems you would be on here saying what a waste of space and that the person deserved to die ...........................

Clearly not, but how many LCB members have offspring or brothers and sisters that have achieved international notoriety through their alcohol and drug habit?

quote:
I do not think so. so why all the heartless coments about a person you only know through the media?

I understand you point of view, but don't you think it would be hypocritical to only make positive comments about someone after their death irrespective of how you regarded them in life?

VanHaydn - 25/7/11 at 02:26 AM

one less junkie oxygen thief....
we get given the gift of life and all junkies lack self respect or are thankfull for the life we are given
more oxygen for the people who want and need it...
Talented junkies.BLA BLA BLA!!!....
what good is the talent 6 foot under...

a junkie is not a person...a junkie used to be a person....now its a empty shell full of chemicals..useless to society and full of crap!

I speak from 1st hand experience...My family has been destroyed by 2 "REAL" junkies and they have no feking clue the damage they have caused to our family structure....one is a "CRACK" junkie the other is a "KET and PILL" and the other whatever he can chuck up his nose or down his usless gullet....
so famous or not a junkie is a junkie who has no regard for their loved ones...what makes is so painfull is that I loved them and they dont care what pain thay have caused ...so better for them to be DEAD really best for everyone concerned...Honestly wish mine would overdose so we can get on with our lives..

Sad But True!

[Edited on 25/7/11 by VanHaydn]

kj - 25/7/11 at 08:36 AM

Yes she had problems with drink and drugs but that does not give anyone who does not know her or anyone else with problems to judge them as a lot of people have mental health problems which leads to this happening.

People don't like to admit to the problem as people who don't know them judge them or don't accept them and they struggle to a point of no return.

A lot of people go through rough times and don't come back, it can be a dark time.

Give the lass and her family some respect.

Jasper - 25/7/11 at 09:14 AM

I'm also rather shocked by LCB views on here. Alcohol and drug addiction are classed by the WHO as an illness, no different from other mental illnesses. Most people addicted to drugs and alcohol have a different brain make-up to the rest of us that makes them very succeptable to addictions of one sort or another.

Most street junkies and alcoholics have been shown to have significant mental illness - so be careful who you go judging. Just because someone is rich and famous doesn't have any bearing on their mental state.

omega 24 v6 - 25/7/11 at 11:45 AM

quote:

Alcohol and drug addiction are classed by the WHO as an illness, no different from other mental illnesses

Difference is that most of us would disagree with that term IMHO. It is not ( at least initially) an Illness. IT IS A WEAKNESS.
A weakness of spirit OR personallity OR lack of courage/pride to JUST SAY NO.
It's well enough documented what can and does occur when you do drugs etc. THE person makes a choice NOT the familly therefore my respect is with the Familly. As for the junkies who can turn themselves around whether with or without familly help then good on them. BUT for self destructors who have time/money and familly TRYING to help but ignoring them then I'm afraid I have no respect for them FFS they have no respect for themselves.

scootz - 25/7/11 at 12:43 PM

I had to deal with junkies on a professional basis for the best part of 20 years. I've also done 'cold-turkey' myself, so I feel reasonably qualified to make comment on the whole addiction-debate.

I'd been taking opiod based medications long-term for back pain and it was becoming apparent that I'd become addicted to them. I wanted the pills because I WANTED THE PILLS! The back-pain had become a secondary reason for taking them!

I just couldn't live my life as a zombie any more. It was awful! Sure, the back-pain was numbed when taking the tablets, but my every waking moment was like living in a cotton-wool bubble and the months were just drifting by.

I woke up one day and thought enough's enough! I took all the Oxycodone, etc. that I had to the chemist and handed it back in. The pharmacist was worried about me doing this and told me to go and see the doc. But I have a 'compulsive' personality and knew I'd have struggled with weaning myself off them, so cold-turkey it was!

I can only describe it as a fortnight of being really hungover or like a bad flu (not that you get good flu!). Head-ache, stomach-ache, shivers, cramps, fevers, weird dreams. It wasn't nice, but it's entirely do-able IF YOU WANT TO!

You could argue that it was easier for me to come off it than it would be for a stereotypical junkie. I have a nice house, family who love me and the bestest dog in the whole-wide-world I'd argue against that by saying that I knew a world of chronic pain was lying ahead of me... and probably until the day I die (think the worst toothache you've ever had... now apply that to your lower back, buttocks, legs and feet 24/7 and you've got it!). Utterly miserable!

So what's the point of my rambling... hmmm, not sure myself! Oh yeah, it was... if I can do it, then anyone can do it!

PS - The bestest dog in the whole-wide-world...

[Edited on 25/7/11 by scootz]

Jasper - 25/7/11 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
quote:

Alcohol and drug addiction are classed by the WHO as an illness, no different from other mental illnesses

Difference is that most of us would disagree with that term IMHO. It is not ( at least initially) an Illness. IT IS A WEAKNESS.
A weakness of spirit OR personallity OR lack of courage/pride to JUST SAY NO.
It's well enough documented what can and does occur when you do drugs etc. THE person makes a choice NOT the familly therefore my respect is with the Familly. As for the junkies who can turn themselves around whether with or without familly help then good on them. BUT for self destructors who have time/money and familly TRYING to help but ignoring them then I'm afraid I have no respect for them FFS they have no respect for themselves.

That whole statement just shows a HUGE lack of understand of addiction and is a stereotypical 'Sun Reader' view. Sad really, and even sadder to know that so many people think that way and agree with your standpoint. Luckily we have experts who really understand what is going on in the brain of people suffering from these conditions.

I would be interested to hear all your views if she had die as a result of only drinking alcohol, or from anorexia, or from chronic depression, or from schizophrenia or from any other mental illness.

Maybe go and speak with someone who works with people trying to recover from this illness. Two of my closest mates work as managers for Brightons largest drug and alcohol rehab group, both are recovering alcoholics/drug addicts. They deal with people like this on a daily basis and certainly hold very different views.

And to say these people are weak is a comlete joke. I have a very close family member who has been sober now for 30+years and during this time I have met very many people 'in recovery'. The one thing that stands out with a lot of these people is their strength of character, I would certainly not describe them as weak.

You may not know that alcohol abuse is the third biggest killer in the UK:

'An alcohol fact sheet published by the Institute of Alcohol Studies (IAS) reports that in developed countries, alcohol is the third leading cause of disease and injury, alcohol causing nearly 10 percent of all ill health and premature deaths in Europe. This is ahead of obesity, diabetes and asthma and second only to smoking and blood pressure conditions.

In addition to the large-scale problems of intoxication, addiction and a multitude of alcohol related social problems, alcohol on a worldwide level causes an estimated 20 – 30 percent of cancer of the oesophagus, liver cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy, homicide / murder and motor vehicle accidents.'

Just to class all these people as weak strikes me as rather symplistic.

ashg - 25/7/11 at 02:45 PM

sadly it was inevitable. her singing was ok but nothing earth shattering. what i find really sad is that she was better known for her problems with substance abuse than for her singing.

MikeRJ - 25/7/11 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
That whole statement just shows a HUGE lack of understand of addiction and is a stereotypical 'Sun Reader' view. Sad really, and even sadder to know that so many people think that way and agree with your standpoint. Luckily we have experts who really understand what is going on in the brain of people suffering from these conditions.

I would be interested to hear all your views if she had die as a result of only drinking alcohol, or from anorexia, or from chronic depression, or from schizophrenia or from any other mental illness.

Are you suggesting that only people that have a mental illness to start with become drug addicts?

Jasper - 25/7/11 at 02:58 PM

That will depend on your definition of a mental illness. Do you think it's normal behaviour for a person to take so many drugs/alcohol they kill themselves? They don't do it for fun that's for sure.

Macbeast - 25/7/11 at 04:36 PM

It seems that everybody who demonstrates compulsive behaviour - be it drugs, alcohol, food, sex, cutting,whatever - has low self esteem and can't deal with their feelings. The cause may be environmental ( bad parenting ) or genetic ( there is evidence to show that addictive behaviour runs in families ). The drug of choice ( includes behaviours ) lets them suppress their feelings: problems get swept under the carpet but they don't go away and they get worse.

The most successful treatment centres deal with addiction as an illness, just like diabetes - treatable, survivable but never curable. They get the sufferer (and by God do they suffer ) clean and sober then help them discover what caused the lack of self esteem and why they hide from their feelings.

Are addicts weak ? No more than the rest of the population. But addicts who try to conquer their compulsion by force of will and strength of mind ( white-knuckling it ) without dealing with their fundamental problems very often relapse.

As to whether addicts suffer from a mental illness, one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result

[Edited on 25/7/11 by Macbeast]

omega 24 v6 - 25/7/11 at 04:48 PM

Given I come from what the tabloids once labelled the drug capital of Scotland I still disagree with you Jasper.

They are WEAK not because they are now addicts they are WEAK because THEY and THEY alone were not strong enough to say no the first time drugs/alchohol ( and yes I like a drink as much as the next man) were offered to them.
I agree they may have been mentally at a low point when they accepted the drugs, and I would imagine ( given the speed with which many become hooked) it MUST be a fantastic experience/feeling to make you become addicted so quickly.

I work with many people who have familly with this problem ( again I am sympathetic to the familly ) many of them also give of their free time to help the support groups ( all credit to them ).
I suppose untill it happens close to home then none of us will truly understand how we would actually behave OR react. Untill that point all we have are opinions. You make not like or agree with our opinions but we are entitled to them.

In truth she, as many, were heading down the self destruct route. But how many young ones looked to her as a role model?? That is the worry IMHO
We have created the celebrity beast that young ones look up to/aspire to. Many of them are a bad influence on the young generation.

OH and well done Scootz and his puppy dog.

Macbeast - 25/7/11 at 04:56 PM

But Omega, you have destroyed your own argument. Nobody knows whether they will become an addict UNTIL they have taken that first drink or drug. Some go go on to become addicted, some don't. But if it's weak simply to take the first drink, not knowing what will happen, then we are ALL weak.

Tiger Super Six - 25/7/11 at 05:11 PM

quote:
They are WEAK

Possibly you are weak? you don't actually know her or her situation only by what you have seen and read. Some may class you as weak for not being able to see somones situation and being able to empathise and assist? If you believe that you have not made bad decisions in life, then you are mistaken, everybody does. Just some have bigger consequences than others.

DRC INDY 7 - 25/7/11 at 05:13 PM

Like I said it is still someone's daughter or son and the last thing there family needs to hear or see is self centered people saying there are junkies so deserve to die

So a different take on this some go out in there kitcars give it too much beans crash and then die do you then come on here and say ha ha idiot deserved to die

speeding

The answer is no you don't

Ninehigh - 25/7/11 at 06:10 PM

quote:
They are WEAK not because they are now addicts they are WEAK because THEY and THEY alone were not strong enough to say no the first time drugs/alchohol ( and yes I like a drink as much as the next man) were offered to them.

Doesn't this mean you're also weak because you didn't say no when someone offered you a pint?

Hey want one of these?
What is is?
It's D, makes you feel AWESOME
Yeah sure.

The next morning:
Oh man I feel like crap
Yeah that's the D getting out of your system, have another

Bam, addicted. I've heard of a lot of heroin addicts that are taking it just to stave off the effects of the comedown (i.e. to feel normal)
Hair of the dog anyone?

JoelP - 25/7/11 at 06:40 PM

A friend was on crack for a few years. Took his dad dying to make him stop. He sold coke so always had lots to sniff, then cracked it himself 'for a laugh'. Not your typical baghead, though you could see the effect it had on his head. Not seen him in a while now but i think you have to know one before you appreciate that life is a long and winding road and some people end up in dodgy places with no easy way back.

[Edited on 25/7/11 by JoelP]

Paul TigerB6 - 25/7/11 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Like I said it is still someone's daughter or son and the last thing there family needs to hear or see is self centered people saying there are junkies so deserve to die

Who said she deserved to die?? Many have simply said they have no sympathy for her (but the same group have also said they have sympathy for her family / friends) which is hardly saying she deserved to die really is it!!! the fact that she continued to live the way she did - irrespective of how much people tried to help her (family, record company etc) is down to her!! As far as i'm concerned, addicts who want to stop have to have the will to do it. Clearly, she didnt!!

I'll reiterate - i have no sympathy for her. I do for the family but not for her - plain and simple. To try using the argument that its someone's son or daughter for having no sympathy for HER is therefore pointless. Osama Bin Laden had a mother and father - maybe you don't want us to say we have no sympathy for him either??

blakep82 - 25/7/11 at 07:04 PM

don't know if 'the scheme' was ever on in england, showed a load of people from a pretty grim housing estate in scotland, this one guy in particular was on heroin, i'd say fell in with the wrong crowd, but the whole estate practically ran on it. he was addicted, and he hated himself for it. he wanted off it, tried going cold turkey, lasted a few weeks, but ended up back on it. can't explain the whole show, but it certainly changed my opinion on addicts after watching him. properly felt sorry for him. he hated what it was doing to him, and his family, but as with any addiction, its not just as easy as 'stop doing it'

as said above, it addictive because they take it to keep the effects of the comedown away, but the addicition starts apparently, because the first time you take it, its like te most awesome feeling ever, and you spend the rest of the time trying to get the same feeling, which never quite happens. i for one find it very sad. she didn't wake up every morning thinking 'i'm going to take as much drink and drugs as i can, coz i want to and to f*ck with what everyone thinks of me', in most cases is not a choice, and anyone who thinks it is doesn't really understand addictions as far as i'm concerned. IF she killed herself on purpose, it was probably because she didn't want to hurt her family anymore, and it was the only way she could do it. she clearly had a very troubled mind

[Edited on 25/7/11 by blakep82]

DRC INDY 7 - 25/7/11 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:

Who said she deserved to die?? Many have simply said they have no sympathy for her (but the same group have also said they have sympathy for her family / friends) which is hardly saying she deserved to die really is it!!! the fact that she continued to live the way she did - irrespective of how much people tried to help her (family, record company etc) is down to her!! As far as i'm concerned, addicts who want to stop have to have the will to do it. Clearly, she didnt!!

I'll reiterate - i have no sympathy for her. I do for the family but not for her - plain and simple. To try using the argument that its someone's son or daughter for having no sympathy for HER is therefore pointless. Osama Bin Laden had a mother and father - maybe you don't want us to say we have no sympathy for him either??

What has bin laden got to do with it he murdered people

amy winehouse died untill the post mortem nobody now's what she died of

Try to remember that little fact before you look a totall idiot

Paul TigerB6 - 25/7/11 at 07:34 PM

quote:
quote:

Try to remember that little fact before you look a totall idiot

How about YOU point us all to the quote where someone said that "junkies deserve to die" before YOU look like an idiot.

DRC INDY 7 - 25/7/11 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lewis
If drug related then serves her right,no one made her take drugs,she was a junky

Here you go this pretty much says it

lewis - 25/7/11 at 08:11 PM

quote:
quote:

Don't twist my words,if I put a gun in my mouth and pulled the trigger it would serve me right, NOT that I deserved to die, very different things!

DRC INDY 7 - 25/7/11 at 08:29 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't twist my words,if I put a gun in my mouth and pulled the trigger it would serve me right, NOT that I deserved to die, very different things!

not really you have pretty much said what you mean

another somebody smokes or drinks and gets cancer and dies as a result is that not the same as what you are saying above would that serve them right

no its what people choose to do there life

If nothing good can be said and im not saying something good has to be said just for the sake of it then say nowt

I have lost freinds and family through many different senarios and not once did i think it served them right they should not have done it

[Edited on 7/25/2011 by DRC INDY 7]

Ninehigh - 25/7/11 at 09:45 PM

Calm down!

Strontium Dog - 25/7/11 at 10:40 PM

It's interesting that some people say that "junkies" are weak and therefore so what they deserve it. Or at least thats certainly the impression some posts have given. Well to them I say,

why is being weak something that makes a person a second class citizen?

Because a persons weakness has made it difficult, or even beyond them, to get themselves out of the appalling lives that many drug addicts live is not a reason to turn against them, moreover it is a reason to extend help, and perhaps a little compassion towards them! You may not be qualified or capable of extending that help, or in some cases it seem compassion either, but to consider it should not be applied is to be cruel towards ones fellow beings that for one reason or possibly many are not as fortunate as ourselves.

It is definitely something to think about............. I am strong and they are weak so I am better than them!

Illness comes in many forms, Portugal has decriminalized drugs and made them a medical issue. They are the drug harm reduction success of Europe as a result!

trextr7monkey - 25/7/11 at 11:51 PM

quote:

Calm down!

Almost a Phil Lynott look a like- there's another super talented bloke who couldnt deal with stuff, Kossof from Free too, booze /drugs - it is the life style that gets them.

blakep82 - 25/7/11 at 11:57 PM

out of everyone who's commented on here, who like Status Quo (first one i thought of)
for the record i'm not a fan but i want to know

Ninehigh - 26/7/11 at 12:09 AM

Isn't it illegal to actually dislike the Quo?

RK - 26/7/11 at 04:07 AM

The problem is that addicts (one bad decision at a party can be expensive) are not very nice a lot of the time. They tend to be excessively selfish.

Life is hard, and a lot of people can't face reality, so they escape with the stuff they tried at that party a long time ago.

I wouldn't mind what people did, as long as they don't screw up my life, as a result of their bad decision making. The problem is that they do affect others.

I choose to put extra energy into other things. Life is really short and I don't want to waste any of it.