Board logo

what to do in cornwall
graememk - 21/9/07 at 10:49 PM

been invited down to stay with the outlaws for a week in hayle cornwall with the gf and her brother and wife and devil child

so what can i do to keep me entertained whilst i'm down there as i'm 370 miles north east atm.

[Edited on 21/9/07 by graememk]

nludkin - 21/9/07 at 11:00 PM

When I was down that way I entertained myself with a nice pint or two of Trinity and Doombar You could do much worse

AndyH - 21/9/07 at 11:07 PM

Alcohol always works

iank - 21/9/07 at 11:41 PM

Holiday home burning?

If you get called an "emmit" it isn't polite (means parasite apparently). Just like wales in the good old days.

stevec - 21/9/07 at 11:46 PM

Find a place to park?

graememk - 21/9/07 at 11:53 PM

great now this is sounding like fun

i took the outlaws to kos for a week and they take me to cornwall, not sounding like a fair swap so far.

RK - 22/9/07 at 02:17 AM

I just flew mine a few thousand k for a nice two weeks at my summer place; my brother-in-law arrived with his abominable 12 year old daughter as well. I didn't get much of a holiday out of it. I don't drink, and there was no heroin or other similar substitute nearby, so it wasn't really a good time. Tempted though.

nathanharris1987 - 22/9/07 at 06:41 AM

try surfing in widemouth bay

if you fancy trying your hand at bmx/ mountain biking theres a school running out of ortreath, absolutely fantastic track/ jumps and a giant pit of foam to throw your self into

thats if your feeling energetic

andrew.carwithen - 22/9/07 at 07:16 AM

Come up to Plymouth to 'The Theatre of Greens' (Home Park) and watch the proper 'Pilgrims' play!

wilkingj - 22/9/07 at 07:47 AM

Visit other members of this fine Forum whilst you are down there.

Then you can Froth Locost Cars all weekend. There are at least 3 or 4 that I know of down that way.

Also its nice to visit and see other people's builds

wilkingj - 22/9/07 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Find a place to park?

Parking in Cornwall isnt a problem at this time of the year, roads are fairly empty as well.

Been there at the end of Oct, and its dead, with most places shut for the winter.

A bit of peace and quiet for the locals... must be lovely.

gingerprince - 22/9/07 at 07:59 AM

go visit Gulval

Volvorsport - 22/9/07 at 09:03 AM

theres a big quad track/hire place just off the a30 turning to truro .

bout 2 miles from where i stayed on hols this summer . had the family with us so i didnt get chance to have go .

lots of mines to go visit !!1

twybrow - 22/9/07 at 09:44 AM

There is loads of stuff to do. The beach at Hayle is huge and well worth a visit. Hayle is not the prettiest town, but St Ives is gorgeous. Great for a wandering around and taking in the scenery. There is the Tate Modern (if that flicks your switch). Further afield, there is a great indor karting place in Camborne, the Eden Project at St Austell, Newquay (which has a lot of tourist type attractions, including one of the best karting places I've ever been to, just outside Watergate Bay). You really shouldn't be bored.

BenB - 22/9/07 at 11:20 AM

Tintagel is pretty spectacular on a blustery but sunny autumn day.....

Land's end isn't very exciting (big cheesy theme park). Lizard Point is a bit more natural....

Eden project if you like plants!!!!

Russ-Turner - 22/9/07 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
I I don't drink, and there was no heroin or other similar substitute nearby, so it wasn't really a good time.

rusty nuts - 22/9/07 at 12:36 PM

You could try parachuting near St Merryl , visit Ricktown (Padstow) very pleasant or try surfing at numerous beaches

Mansfield - 22/9/07 at 01:04 PM

St. Ives is a lovley place, go to the mexican restaurant and have the set dinner.

http://www.eatoutcornwall.com/cornwall-restaurant/details-restaurant.php?pv=5313

There is a pub 30 yards up the road that does some quite good live music.

Confused but excited. - 22/9/07 at 01:51 PM

Above all remember, only boring people get bored!

RK - 22/9/07 at 01:59 PM

Best advice so far!

Deckman001 - 22/9/07 at 02:49 PM

Eden project day out gets my vote as well , and if you think your getting old, do the zip wire it is nice and gentle though

Jason

Mark Allanson - 22/9/07 at 04:39 PM

I'll pick you up and we will do the Cornish Nordschleife together, I am all of 4 miles from Hayle!

St Ives if fantastic this time of year, September festival is on at the moment, restaurants are easy to book, everybody is a lot more relaxed

Mark Allanson - 22/9/07 at 04:42 PM

Where has the browse bit gone to post a pickie?

Volvorsport - 22/9/07 at 06:39 PM

st ives - 5 a breast pushchairs vying for space , and the bloody seagulls nicking me chips .

i had a good time still .

robinbastd - 22/9/07 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
go visit Gulval

Top tip!

Come and do some gift shopping (plenty of locally made jewellery) at my place - well, it is nearly Christmas. Usual LCB discount will apply.

Further west are plenty of prehistoric stone doodahs - think Stonehenge on a tight budget and a visit to these can be tied in with a drive along one of the UKs best roads (as already mentioned)

Ian

RK - 23/9/07 at 03:35 AM

Well, what's it going to be?????