Board logo

Pulse GT1
khm - 6/8/10 at 09:20 AM

been asked by a couple of lads for some more info -
not really 'locost' but here we go !!
car was built to race in the british GT series mid '90's against mclaren f1, porsches etc, was tested at silverstone with jag XJ220 engine pushing 860 BHP. 2 weeks before the first race the rules 'changed' so was never raced, fot parked up, the back end chopped off to make the suspension off the gearbox but never finished.
i bought the project october '08 as a pile of bits, but came with all the moulds.

first job was to rebuild the rear end & refit the front

khm - 6/8/10 at 09:35 AM

next question was what to power it with ?!?!
looked for 6 months for an audi rs6 engine with no joy so dropped on an audi rs4 2.7 twin turbo engine. i had fitted to this had low compression head gaskets, ported head, uprated injectors, all the timing gear done, inconel tubular manifolds onto rebuilt rs6 turbo's running s3 compressor wheels, custom flywheel with triple plate clutch. then it's all bolted to an Elite TLX300 6 speed sequential dog box

[Edited on 6/8/10 by khm]

55ant - 6/8/10 at 09:38 AM

AWSOME.

liam.mccaffrey - 6/8/10 at 09:48 AM

drooooooooooooooooooooool

ceebmoj - 6/8/10 at 09:52 AM

do you have any pictures of the rest of the body work?

carpmart - 6/8/10 at 10:50 AM

Come on KHM, we need more pictures and description!

spdpug98 - 6/8/10 at 10:56 AM

We need more info on this and up-to-date progress pictures

Fred W B - 6/8/10 at 11:20 AM

Yes, Yes, and what is that spendy looking transaxle?

Cheers

Fred W B

speedyxjs - 6/8/10 at 11:39 AM

Wow!!!

[Edited on 7-8-10 by speedyxjs]

khm - 6/8/10 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Yes, Yes, and what is that spendy looking transaxle?

Cheers

Fred W B

elite TXL speed sequential dog box

khm - 6/8/10 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj

give me chance, i have to work too LOL

spdpug98 - 6/8/10 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by khm
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj

give me chance, i have to work too LOL

Not when you have a car to build and photograph for us

Lightning - 6/8/10 at 01:23 PM

I have just had a little accident.

WoW

khm - 6/8/10 at 02:09 PM

right where was i ..... ah yes the car LOL

photo's of the body panels on, i did not like the doors so made the window openings bigger & they opened 'conventionally' so fabricated my own butterfly hinges. fitted projector headlights into bonnet
this is with the 'road wing'

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/khm_01/DSC02320.jpg

khm - 6/8/10 at 02:12 PM

khm - 6/8/10 at 02:15 PM

engine & box got fitted

khm - 6/8/10 at 02:17 PM

off for 3" exhaust system

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/khm_01/DSC02557.jpg

khm - 6/8/10 at 02:19 PM

then we fitted the caron fibre twin plane wing

Lightning - 6/8/10 at 02:20 PM

As you have the moulds for the panels, why not make a jig for the chassis. I would be interested. Finished mine looking what to do next.

khm - 6/8/10 at 02:21 PM

now working toward a test day now that the engine is running
610 BHP 540 bhp at the wheels, 740 NM torque
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d2c0DX1KIQ

tegwin - 6/8/10 at 02:40 PM

Wow! Thats nice!

khm - 6/8/10 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
As you have the moulds for the panels, why not make a jig for the chassis. I would be interested. Finished mine looking what to do next.

you never know, maybe in the future i could start to make them, but it would never be a cheap car to build so you would have limited customers i would think, then again ultima don't seam to struggle & they are miserable sh*ts LOL
to build a proper jig would cost a few thousand - and thats the only way i would build it - not near enough i'll do !!

khm - 6/8/10 at 06:58 PM

thanks for all the positive feed back - nice to know i must be doing something right !!

alistairolsen - 8/8/10 at 08:13 AM

Looks like a proper project! Im assuming there was some aerodynamic work done when the original design was prepared?

I take it to original car used the gearbox to mount the suspension to? But your engine and box in the current iteration are no longer stressed members?

Some really nice quality work gone into that and an unusual but very good choice of engine!

Keep us all up to date

khm - 9/8/10 at 07:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
Looks like a proper project! Im assuming there was some aerodynamic work done when the original design was prepared?

I take it to original car used the gearbox to mount the suspension to? But your engine and box in the current iteration are no longer stressed members?

Some really nice quality work gone into that and an unusual but very good choice of engine!

Keep us all up to date

originally chassis was as we have done it, then back end was removed to use gearbox as a stressed member, but we have gone back to full chassis - thought it would be better for road use

khm - 25/8/10 at 03:25 PM

some new pic's of the car ready to roll, was going to a test today but was cancelled last night due to resurfacing work

khm - 28/8/10 at 08:31 PM

got to test it yesterday, omfg !!! it's quick !!

hobbsy - 10/9/10 at 07:53 AM

Video? Photos?

khm - 13/9/10 at 03:36 PM

not the best of days !!
still overheating and then the video didn't work !
but did get some photo's

khm - 31/1/11 at 03:40 PM

just passed IVA on second attempt so just got to get registered and off we go !!

scootz - 31/1/11 at 03:44 PM

Good stuff... looks absolutely

Now get the wax and buffer out and polish that sucker-up to a high-sheen red!

blakep82 - 31/1/11 at 03:49 PM

big fan of that
i'd really love a jag xjr12 replica one day

eddie99 - 31/1/11 at 03:50 PM

Excellent stuff... Well done! what problems did you face at your first IVA?

khm - 31/1/11 at 04:19 PM

noise, exhaust was blowing on a joint so Lambda was out & a couple of small things, not much really

paint shop next......... orange & dark grey ?!?!?!?!?! still not sure then lots of polish LOL

loggyboy - 31/1/11 at 07:02 PM

Beastful, and cant believe its now road legal!! lol

Whast was the rule change to stop it competing btw?

Neville Jones - 31/1/11 at 07:16 PM

Is that a Lancia Stratos screen?

khm - 31/1/11 at 08:32 PM

yes its a strat screen

the rule was that you had to have a road legal version of the car aswell as the race car within 1 year, 2 weeks before first race it was changed so you had to have the road legal car with you !!

khm - 14/6/11 at 07:00 PM

car is now finished !! yipee, been down the road & it's awesome

will be at newark at least 1 day, not sure exactly at the mo' depends more on weather

khm - 20/6/11 at 02:40 PM

[Edited on 20/6/11 by khm]

welderman - 20/6/11 at 02:52 PM

AWESOME

[Edited on 20/6/11 by welderman]

jeffw - 20/6/11 at 02:54 PM

Looks great.

scootz - 20/6/11 at 03:00 PM

Wowaweewa!

Fred W B - 20/6/11 at 03:49 PM

Thats not good........

Its fantastic!

Making the wheel centres black would be the finishing touch for me?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 20/6/11 by Fred W B]

daniel mason - 20/6/11 at 05:22 PM

that is stunning mate. well done!

[Edited on 20/6/11 by daniel mason]

zilspeed - 20/6/11 at 05:27 PM

Needs a bigger rear wing....

Not !

imp paul - 20/6/11 at 06:08 PM

wow very nice lucky man well done on the build love it

khm - 20/6/11 at 07:56 PM

thanks for positive feedback, really happy with how it's turned out, love the colour scheme, goes like poo off a very hot stick !! the turbo's come in, pin you in the seat & don't let you out again !! got a track day sunday at blyton so will be more of a shake down ready for a proper outing
2 1/2 years well spent, oh yeh and a poo load of money LMAO

khm - 20/6/11 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Thats not good........

Its fantastic!

Making the wheel centres black would be the finishing touch for me?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 20/6/11 by Fred W B]

we apinted the wheels early on when was thinking of another colour scheme, will probably split them down over winter and re do them, was thinking a graphite grey ?!?!

geoffreyh - 20/6/11 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by khm

we apinted the wheels early on when was thinking of another colour scheme, will probably split them down over winter and re do them, was thinking a graphite grey ?!?!

I would go for titanium grey center on orange rim.

cloudy - 13/12/11 at 04:48 PM

Gorgeous work! How much did the transaxle set you back?

PS. saw you have a CKC article - what's the tag line "A full bodied version of the Tiger Avon" all about?!

James

[Edited on 13/12/11 by cloudy]

bi22le - 13/12/11 at 06:21 PM

This is a hicost chuffing bonkers car. I may of dreamt about living your last two and a half years last night!

Got any vids on track yet?

khm - 13/12/11 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
Gorgeous work! How much did the transaxle set you back?

PS. saw you have a CKC article - what's the tag line "A full bodied version of the Tiger Avon" all about?!

James

[Edited on 13/12/11 by cloudy]

the transaxle ........... eerrrrrr..........is the wife looking ............ too much, about the same as a locost car LOL but bloody hell it's good fun

had a seven page spread with the cover too in august, the avon was in that mag too, bit of a misprint on the web i think

in again in this months with 3 other cars

khm - 13/12/11 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
This is a hicost chuffing bonkers car. I may of dreamt about living your last two and a half years last night!

Got any vids on track yet?

LMAO love the hicost !! yep it's about bonkers alright especially on the road, does 63 in first gear, 120 in third, no vids yet, every track day the bloody player keeps shitting its self, get home & its fine again. hopefully get some this comming year

jeffw - 18/12/11 at 07:33 AM

I have seen the car again in the CKC 'car of the year' shoot out. I didn't think you would beat the Carbon T70 (which is a work of art) but am surprised they gave it to the Lambo replica.

Nice to see a B5 RS4 engined MRC tuned special out and about. I used to have a B5 RS4 running 530BHP so know a little about the engine and have spent many hours with Doug at MRC. I look forward to some video in the new year....

khm - 18/12/11 at 12:26 PM

TBH never expected to beat 2 show cars, mine was always built for a purpose, but it's nice to be asked. did offer to have a top gear style shoot out at end around the donington track where the shoot was with 1 point lost for every second slower than fastest car, but it was declined LOL think i could have done ok as the t70 kept spinning just doing the moving shot's LOL
roll on next year & get on track properly

scootz - 18/12/11 at 12:48 PM

Come on... upload some more pics and share the joy!!!

khm - 18/12/11 at 08:29 PM

blyton track day

[img]
[/img]

[Edited on 18/12/11 by khm]

khm - 18/12/11 at 08:35 PM

khm - 18/12/11 at 08:40 PM

photo's from Ian Stent ( complete kit car ) from the mag photo shoot

scootz - 18/12/11 at 10:21 PM

rb968 - 18/12/11 at 10:51 PM

Bloody fantastic!.......and it's got a stereo. Nuts.

khm - 19/12/11 at 08:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Bloody fantastic!.......and it's got a stereo. Nuts.

no room for a head unit so, i pod runs straight to the amp to the 4 speakers, still can't hear it when you floor it LMAO but is fine for 'normal' running - it is my 3 seater family car

khm - 19/12/11 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz

thought you might like that LOL

khm - 17/10/12 at 08:14 AM

finally got a proper run in the car on monday at donington

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXYC8JIO-AM&list=UUEP1_TIaneg1Um2qSerHdmA&index=1&feature=plcp

jeffw - 17/10/12 at 10:30 AM

Looks like you where having some fun.

Where you using all the revs? I was a bit surprised that KTM came past and disappeared...

khm - 17/10/12 at 10:37 AM

x bow was race preped on slicks & the guy could proper drive ;-)

TBH cars is way over geared only getting into 5th, probably should have been down to 1st for hairpins to get turbos spooled up but just enjoyed the day

ready for next year now to get used to track days with it, takes a bit of hauling about and stopping but lots of fun - which is the main thing

gtr_garner - 13/11/12 at 10:28 AM

absolutely love it!

it is no doubt going to take some time for you to be comfortable with planting the car. It is a proper bit of kit and no doubt a huge investment so overcooking it would not be a nice experience.

It is an amazing car and i would love to have something like that, fair play on you sir!
Now get some track time in and get your right foot planted and find your sweet spot in it Can see a lot more coming from your skills and this car in the future!

khm - 13/11/12 at 02:07 PM

thanks

have pulled the box out to get it checked over and maybe alter the ratio's a bit to give a more track orientated gearing to 5th then 6th like an over drive
clutch out for checking too, just trying to sort everything ready for next year to have a doo

cheers

laurencet - 15/3/13 at 07:45 PM

Hi, very interesting post.
I'm currently fitting a rs4-b5 engine into the back of a vx220. Did doug at mrc manage to remap the standard ecu?
Looking online alot of the audi powered ultimas are using dta ecu's. Did you go for the rs6 turbo's over the gt2860?
Anyythi

jeffw - 15/3/13 at 08:23 PM

Have a look at MRCs website and you will realise that they are one of the top Audi tuners in the UK, and yes they can map the stock ECU.

http://www.mrctuning.com/

This is Doug's widebody B5 S4 doing 204.4 at Bruntingthorpe.
http://vimeo.com/29303087

[Edited on 15/3/13 by jeffw]

khm - 16/3/13 at 07:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by laurencet
Hi, very interesting post.
I'm currently fitting a rs4-b5 engine into the back of a vx220. Did doug at mrc manage to remap the standard ecu?
Looking online alot of the audi powered ultimas are using dta ecu's. Did you go for the rs6 turbo's over the gt2860?
Anyythi

yes mrc did all the engine work, guided me to the best options for what i wanted, then re mapped standard ecu so you keep all the knock sensors etc which you loose with aftermarket ecu's

very clever people, very helpfull, highly recommended

can go to the car middle of winter, maybe not run for a month, press the button and it starts straight up and ticks over perfect

laurencet - 16/3/13 at 08:31 AM

Thats very impressive. I'll give them monday. Did you have have to keep the original keys and ignition?

khm - 16/3/13 at 11:02 AM

i'm on switch and button start, i fitted engine and engine loom into ecu, you'll need a throttle peddle as it's fly by wire, took it to them and said make it work, left it there for about a month and they fitted it round jobs
if you stick with standard turbos should be an easier job, depends what you are looking for, standard spec with remap and nice exhaust should push well over 400bhp

jeffw - 16/3/13 at 11:37 AM

B5 RS4 with a remap/exhaust/decent intercooler is good for 450-470. Change the turbos and then it is over 500, after that skys the limit with some engines running 800BHP. S4 will get similar numbers with K04s or RS6 K04s.

khm - 16/3/13 at 11:54 AM

i've got rs6 turbos running s3 compressor wheels, they need modifing too to fit on a rs4 motor, the incnoel manifolds that doug sell are an awesome bit of kit too, fantastic workmanship, got them ceramic coated to keep the heat down
speak to doug and he will point you totally in the right direction, i have total faith in him unlike most others i spoke to before i started the project, the b5 is the motor they made there name with

khm - 18/3/13 at 09:16 AM

handy link

http://audisrs.com/

also this winter i have had the 'box out and changed my ratio's so should be able to to through the gears better and keep the turbos spinning, 1st and 6th have stayed, 4th has become 5th and new 2,3 & 4th gears to split ranges, should be more frisky LOL

khm - 15/5/13 at 12:44 PM

was out at the weekend with the scd club and this turned up

will121 - 15/5/13 at 01:25 PM

great photo, i like the idea that most people recognise a bugatti veyron but left wondering 'but whats that overtaking it!'

khm - 15/5/13 at 01:28 PM

theres 5 super sport veyrons, only one pulse !!

Aaron_n_Sim - 15/5/13 at 01:40 PM

I can only hope to one day be talented enough to build something like that, and have deep enough pockets to see it through, looks like an awesome piece of machinery!

Aaron

khm - 4/10/13 at 03:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ghyzia5r2ZU#t=264

jeffw - 4/10/13 at 06:31 PM

I want to see a video of someone giving it berries rather than looking terrified.....gis a go

khm - 4/10/13 at 06:37 PM

should be some of me driving coming on soon :-)

jeffw - 4/10/13 at 07:02 PM

Looking forward to it.