Board logo

My Lamborghini Countach
barbarianbeast - 30/5/12 at 09:30 AM

Picked up a new project yesterday. Reached a very agreeable deal with my University Lecturer after a night in the pub.
I know that its been sitting in his garage for almost 20 years,
Only picked up the body yesterday, Im back for the doors and paperwork tomorrow so will know more then.
I know as much as the body is a one to one fibreglass copy of an original.
Engine is 3.9l v8 small block Chevy.

Public Facebook Album

Build log to follow, I have loads of parts to go with it too, almost complete.
Cant wait to start stripping it down and have a proper look at the chassis.

imp paul - 30/5/12 at 09:36 AM

that's very cool mate lots of work lol but hay nice toy

maccmike - 30/5/12 at 09:44 AM

make sure you load plenty of build pictures!!

tegwin - 30/5/12 at 10:28 AM

That there is a very nice looking project! Yes, as he said above...,we want loads of pictures please

HowardB - 30/5/12 at 11:18 AM

that is going to be great fun!

look forward to seeing the progress,...

cerbera - 30/5/12 at 11:19 AM

Subscribed

theduck - 30/5/12 at 11:46 AM

Looks good

scudderfish - 30/5/12 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by barbarianbeast

That's a Rover V8 (nee Buick), not a Chevy. I'd recommend you also sign up to http://www.v8forum.co.uk/ as there is a huge amount of expertise there for any question you'll have about the engine and transmission (as well as here of course)

Regards,
Dave

barbarianbeast - 30/5/12 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

That's a Rover V8 (nee Buick), not a Chevy. I'd recommend you also sign up to http://www.v8forum.co.uk/ as there is a huge amount of expertise there for any question you'll have about the engine and transmission (as well as here of course)

Regards,
Dave

Oh really. I don't admit to know much about the V8. Only what I've Been told. He did say it was reconditioned. And I think it has a range rover flywheel.
Thank you for your reply. I'll definitely be getting it all apart and taking a good look.

scootz - 30/5/12 at 12:47 PM

Look forward to hearing about your progress!

chrsgrain - 30/5/12 at 02:27 PM

Good luck getting the doors to fit!

Chris

jossey - 30/5/12 at 05:50 PM

Any chance of getting it ready for the weekend it's nice weather :-)

Daddylonglegs - 30/5/12 at 05:52 PM

Looks like one to watch!

Good luck, and plenty of posts/pictures

blakep82 - 30/5/12 at 05:57 PM

needs a V12 or at least a V10 surely
BMW do some good ones...

looking forward to seeing it all come together!

aka_shortie - 30/5/12 at 06:49 PM

looks like a fun project

violentblue - 30/5/12 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
needs a V12 or at least a V10 surely
BMW do some good ones...

looking forward to seeing it all come together!

think and audi V8 would do nicely too, plus there are a number of boxes that will bolt right up.

bi22le - 30/5/12 at 07:21 PM

What chassiss do these things normally use?

Custom made, Donor, modified?

Dopdog - 30/5/12 at 07:40 PM

What make is it? if its 20 years it could only be 1 or 2 versions

dlatch - 30/5/12 at 08:27 PM

needs a V12 !!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFB6FfaNQ40

cool project either way

[Edited on 30/5/12 by dlatch]

myke pocock - 30/5/12 at 08:54 PM

Nought wrong with a V8. It's got 4 more than my Locost!!!!

violentblue - 30/5/12 at 10:28 PM

BMW V8's have a nice rumble to them, I hear their cheaper to scrap and replace than to repair though.

barbarianbeast - 31/5/12 at 07:10 AM

It's a mirage kit. http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/kitcar_details.php?53
I picked up the rest of the panels yesterday.
They all just about fitted in the girlfriends car, but she didn't like our idea of fixing the spoiler to the roof with bolts and penny washers.

scudderfish - 31/5/12 at 11:02 AM

quote:
They all just about fitted in the girlfriends car, but she didn't like our idea of fixing the spoiler to the roof with bolts and penny washers.

What car does she drive? That could have been highly amusing Next time she's out, pop it on the roof and post a photo here

The Shootist - 31/5/12 at 04:51 PM

Keep a V8 in it but use 180 degree headers. The sound will be quite different and most will confuse it with a V12.

barbarianbeast - 19/6/12 at 01:35 PM

Not much to add I'm afraid. Ive been trying to clear the garage out of my Mazda RX8 I've been rebuilding. I got it started yesterday

But I did get the body off over the weekend and take a few photos of the chassis. The neigbours came to have a look and were more than willing to help out lift it off. Its thick fibreglass and pretty heavy.
Its the first time the body has been off in almost 20 years, I think its in remarkable condition considering.
I made up a dolly for the fibreglass body so it can be wheeled around in the garage, I should start making some progress with it now.
It doesnt look too much work to get a rolling chassis that drives, turns and brakes now, and I already have the brake and clutch master cylinders to add on.

Few more pictures on this album
Album link

Does anyone recognise the Donor parts like steering column and brakes, Cortina?

[Edited on 19/6/12 by barbarianbeast]

Bluemoon - 19/6/12 at 01:54 PM

Looks quite good, I would consider getting a cage added to the chassis at this point looks like not to much work to do.

barbarianbeast - 19/6/12 at 02:15 PM

Theres some unwelded steel sections that forms a rool hoop, but its only about 20mm diameter. I will look at adding a roll cage and support to the doors.
And I can just Imagine the joy of taking this to the IVA! going to need lots of work.

Toprivetguns - 19/6/12 at 04:00 PM

Hope your girlfriend is ready for the epic journey that lies ahead ! lol

Good luck with the project, looks amazing in white !

khm - 26/6/12 at 07:04 PM

good luck, i built one in 1999/2000, built from scratch and sva'd in a year, but did spend a lot of time on it LOL
check out
http://www.lamboreplica.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

and

http://www.dcsupercars.com/

for help and parts

something to help you along

Acc8braman - 20/7/12 at 05:37 AM

Hi Carl,

Liking the build and photos.

I am building one also

I will send a pm with pics for you.

What progress have you made?

Cheers

Steve

Acc8braman - 20/7/12 at 05:48 AM

quote:
Not much to add I'm afraid. Ive been trying to clear the garage out of my Mazda RX8 I've been rebuilding. I got it started yesterday

But I did get the body off over the weekend and take a few photos of the chassis. The neigbours came to have a look and were more than willing to help out lift it off. Its thick fibreglass and pretty heavy.
Its the first time the body has been off in almost 20 years, I think its in remarkable condition considering.
I made up a dolly for the fibreglass body so it can be wheeled around in the garage, I should start making some progress with it now.
It doesnt look too much work to get a rolling chassis that drives, turns and brakes now, and I already have the brake and clutch master cylinders to add on.

Few more pictures on this album
Album link

Does anyone recognise the Donor parts like steering column and brakes, Cortina?

[Edited on 19/6/12 by barbarianbeast]

Steering Colunm - is there a uj 1/2 way down and another connecting to the rack? If so, most prob fiat 131, I have a spare with controls. If its a colomn straight to uj in to rack, will be rover sd1, that's what I switched to.

Rack most prob cortina, front hubs from Granada mk2 and rears mk3. Front uprights from Granada too.

What other bits do you have?

[Edited on 20/7/12 by Acc8braman]

barbarianbeast - 22/3/13 at 10:55 AM

Do you know I never got very far with this between Uni and Wedding, Ive barely touched it.

Just cataloged the parts and wrapped them up nicely. the brakes and clutch are all in, as is the steering and suspension. Needs a cooling system and a wiring loom and it will be a running chassis.
Most parts are there too.

Does anyone think its worth much if was to sell it? I would be open to offers at this stage.

barbarianbeast - 1/8/13 at 04:18 PM

So I've decided its up for sale!

eBay Item

[Edited on 1/8/13 by barbarianbeast]