Board logo

Sylva J15 and Riot join Scottish runout
theprisioner - 2/9/13 at 08:07 AM

My J15 and Riot joined up with the Scottish area WSCC for a run starting at Perth and taking in Braemar, Ballater, Aboyne and Edzel. 16 cars got together in Perth before setting off on this 260 mile epic. 12 of the group assembled for lunch at "The Lodge of the Loch" near Aboyne. This group included a recently built Westfield V8 ( you could hear it all day) and several other makes which all lined up after lunch in front of the loch. I have included a link to the video so you can share the spectacle.

http://youtu.be/RmGwbQSKeSk

dai1983 - 2/9/13 at 04:20 PM

They make your j15 look tiny! Some nice looking 7s there though particularly the two orange and the green car. Have you owned any other kits before and how does the j15/riot compare to them?

theprisioner - 2/9/13 at 04:52 PM

The best description of the J15 handling is, different. You must never forget there is a large lump behind you called an engine. Despite that Jeremy has engineered a chassis and suspension that is about as neutral as it can be. It would take a better person than me to describe how he did that. All rear engine cars magnify the over steer issue by adding weight to the pendulum effect. My experience is that the correction required in such a situation is relatively benign in that design. If any of that makes sense then you are welcome. No doubt others in this forum will correct my perceptions if I am wrong.

I have just sold a Westfield SEIW Duratec after 4 years of ownership and 13,000 miles of fantastic fun. Time for something different. If you ever go to shows and run outs with a Westfield you will get tired of seeing so many yellow cars. Well as someone on the Sunday run said "at least the colour is different". Well there is more to a J15 than the colour.

dai1983 - 2/9/13 at 05:10 PM

Yeah I understand what you mean about the engine in the back. its why I'm so confused about engine choice as I wouldn't want too much weight at the back but also not to be stuck at 130-40bhp without spending silly money.

Tbh the main things that have made me interested in these cars is that they are mid engined and they look different to the 7 style cars. I actually see loads of red sevens about actually and I'd consider the louder colours of orange and green for a vectis/j15

[Edited on 2/9/13 by dai1983]

nickm - 5/9/13 at 06:38 PM

Hi
Good to see the J15 out and about, when you see it alongside all the 7 types i think we made a good decision getting something a bit different.
Take it the mid-engine is taking some getting use to ? the handling is in their as i watched the J15 come 3rd at Cadwell in the 750mc Sports Specials and there arent many more twisty turning tracks than that, and it is a R1ot with clothes on !

Nick M