Board logo

Sylva J5
theprisioner - 11/12/13 at 04:00 PM

Made a few mods to the Sylva decided a test drive was required. I had been watching the roads over the last few days and there is no (little) salt in my region. Took it up by Avon Bridge, Caldercrux Road, Forestfield and Armadale. Great loop on a cold day. What a wonderful car in fact the world seam a whole lot better after that!

Jenko - 11/12/13 at 04:29 PM

Hey, are you posting this just to wind me up?.

In contrast to your day...I've spent most of my day connecting wires together in the hope that over the next week the engine makes Brumm, Brumm noises.

theprisioner - 11/12/13 at 04:34 PM

I am really winding those who SORN their cars cos they don't want any winter grime on them it would spoil the polish etc. Anyway I have a 4 poster so I can clean underneath.

Paul AS - 11/12/13 at 04:47 PM

That'll be those on SORN because the bounced their pride and joy off a barrier at Oulton Park in early November!!

What new mods have you done??

Jenko - 11/12/13 at 05:00 PM

So Paul...I have to ask....did you ding the j15?.

theprisioner - 11/12/13 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul AS
What new mods have you done??

I have:

* Fixed the inaccurate fuel gauge that was reading empty with 1/4 of a tank left and 3/4 full when full.
* Put on a more sensibly sized steering wheel (more clearance needed between wheel and aero screen).
* Solved one of the rattles from the rear tub (one or two really annoying ones remain).
* Fixed the Oil pressure sensor (was intermittent)
* Made the butterfly in the throttle body open fully (not that I needed that extra power today)
* Heater now works thank god! essential equipment in Scotland

ToDo:

* Make template for Tonneau cover (found someone to make one at last).
* Install MSA towing off points
* Make steering wheel spacer (extra clearance to Aero Screen)
* Solve more vibration noises at rear
* Wheel alignment
* Helmet loop???
* Rear supports for Roll over bar???

??? Don't know if I will do there mods as I suspect these mods spoil the look of a great car. Made too good a job of the build.

The car goes great! never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Trying to restore a Westfield Megabusa in my spare time, waiting on the full roll cage. The Sylva is much more pleasant to drive on the road there is no better car for the track than the Westfield as I can get a full roll cage and it has a better power to weight and a sequential box. Can't wait till the warmer weather.

Paul AS - 11/12/13 at 05:44 PM

Yep - in the J15. New front clamshell, drivers lower wishbone, radiator and body frame. Plus £275 recovery!!

I get to build the front end again but better!!

Jenko - 11/12/13 at 08:56 PM

Really sorry to hear that...as long as you are ok of course.

I did the same in my old westfield, luckily it didn't bend the chassis, but the hardest thing for me to swallow was the £250 bill from the AA...Having never called them in 20 yrs, the only time I needed them cost me a £250!.

daniel mason - 11/12/13 at 09:02 PM

druids?
never get on the power until over the hump on the exit at this time of year!

Paul AS - 11/12/13 at 10:42 PM

Yep Druids!! If I'd have known then what I know now etc etc!!

Swapped ends three times in 40 laps - before the hump! Sadly the third time, wet grass took over!

I got home and looked on YouTube, feeling very sorry for myself, and was astonished at the number of identical smashes!

Going again next year - when it's dry!!

deeceee09 - 11/12/13 at 11:31 PM

Excuse me for not remembering your name theprisoner, its an age thing!

Anyway I was interested to see you mention MSA towing off points. I got pulled up by a scrutineer for the absence of these this year. He didn't know the Blue Book and I did, they were just recommended for sprinting so no issue. However they are on my winter jobs list as I suspect less damage would result on being towed out of the kitty litter if I had them fitted. I would be interested to know what you propose.

Oh, and yes mine is on a SORN. Engine is out to cure an oil leak and the box has been rebuilt to cure a synchro issue on third. Also seem to have a list as long as your arm to complete over the, thankfully not so cold, winter months.

theprisioner - 12/12/13 at 12:18 AM

I plan to do something similar to that I just did on the Westfield.

http://westfieldbusa.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/competition-towing-loops.html

I will post the actual Sylva mods soon as that is pretty near the top of the list.

I concur that it is only a recommendation from the MSA but a pretty sensible one. To avoid future tales of towing home charges I bought a trailer and I find the extra security of knowing that I will get home by my own efforts reassuring. The MSA tow hoops help loading and unloading the car from the trailer much easier. The trailer has it's own winch. I managed to pick up a Brian James jobby for a grand (almost new).

daniel mason - 12/12/13 at 07:21 AM

paul. trackaction are there at the end of feb. a few of us will no doubt be there. its a good event

deeceee09 - 12/12/13 at 09:27 AM

Thanks for the link to your Westy restoration blog. I too think a central mount without the strap exiting through the bodywork is the best solution. However at the rear the silencer gets in the way and at the front I believe the body is lower than the lowest chassis tube. The front clamshell is off at the moment so I shall have to check that.

Paul AS - 13/12/13 at 11:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
paul. trackaction are there at the end of feb. a few of us will no doubt be there. its a good event

Sounds good to me. I think its gonna have to be one of those last minute take my chances bookings as we get a bit closer and have some idea of the weather.