Board logo

Sylva J15 Dynamometer retest
theprisioner - 17/4/14 at 04:42 PM

155bhp at 6,700 rpm not bad from a stock ECU and some mechanical tweeks.

* High lift road cam
* Lightened flywheel
* Ported head
* Racing Puma plenium
* PumaSpeed ECU upgrade

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/re-visit-dynanometer.html

big_wasa - 17/4/14 at 04:56 PM

Can I ask what the PumaSpeed ECU upgrade is ? Chip or map ? shows the oem ecu isn't that limiting.

Jenko - 17/4/14 at 05:00 PM

That's more like it...bang on the money for the spec...bet the car feels great.

Ugg10 - 17/4/14 at 05:17 PM

That's. Great news and a heathy 30% increase over stock. I'm putting one of these in an anglia with bike tbs
tb's and a tubular exhaust with mappable ecu, everything else stock, be interesting to see how that compares.

theprisioner - 17/4/14 at 05:19 PM

PumaSpeed: http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/Puma

They take your stock Ford ECU, switch off the torque limiter, over fuel at the appropriate places (revs) and Walla!

PumaSpeed deliver an image in a box for a price, the box updates the flashed memory with the requested changes to the original ECU. The used box is then returned to PumaSpeed. I did have to upgrade to a later ECU (ebay = £50) but that is not always the case.

See your local engine tuners. It is all black magic to me but I get 50mpg despite the changes.

The advantage is you keep all the free vvt technology from Ford. In other words you get your cake and you can still eat it.

big_wasa - 17/4/14 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner

The advantage is you keep all the free vvt technology from Ford. In other words you get your cake and you can still eat it.

Hey I've been trying to preach that for ages. I normally pay £1~£25 for an oem ecu you cant buy an edis 4 for that these days.

I've just done the pin outs for the St 170 with vvt return less fuel pump and variable intake length.

st170 pin outs

vid

theprisioner - 17/4/14 at 05:45 PM

Keep banging on, I don't have a big fuel tank and the 50mpg gives me a reasonable range and only takes £20 to fill up for a good day out.

big_wasa - 17/4/14 at 05:53 PM

Out of interest whats the room like in there as I like the mgf donor option for the vectis but JP's cars are tiny and I am not

theprisioner - 17/4/14 at 06:12 PM

JP's cars as you correctly observe are not big inside. I am 5'10" and modified the seating position extensively and fitted GRP seats. I could push my seat back another 2" no problem. If you are going to Stonleigh have a try, but don't try getting in the passenger seat if you exceed 5'10".

big_wasa - 17/4/14 at 06:20 PM

6'3"+ and nearly as wide with 12~13 feet

nickm - 17/4/14 at 06:26 PM

Very impressed with 155hp especially if its kept the vv torque cos that is what use to make the Puma pull so well.

Big Wasa - If you fancy a trial fit im just on the Skeg side of Boston with Jeremys seats not aftermarket ?, Sylva is only at Scamblesby nr Cadwell.

Nick M

Ugg10 - 17/4/14 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
PumaSpeed: http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/Puma

They take your stock Ford ECU, switch off the torque limiter, over fuel at the appropriate places (revs) and Walla!

PumaSpeed deliver an image in a box for a price, the box updates the flashed memory with the requested changes to the original ECU. The used box is then returned to PumaSpeed. I did have to upgrade to a later ECU (ebay = £50) but that is not always the case.

See your local engine tuners. It is all black magic to me but I get 50mpg despite the changes.

Thats really interesting, the engine I have has the standard keys/ecu/transponder, anyone know if I make up a plenum to go with the tb's so I can fit the maf sensor whether this will work with the ecu or a tweaked one? That would save me buying something like an emerald/omex/canems.

theprisioner - 17/4/14 at 06:52 PM

Fabricate a Racing Puma plenium and keep the Ford TB.

the constant builder - 20/4/14 at 12:39 PM

That is more like it!

But 50mpg! that is outrageous, as a former V12 owner you should know its your job to keep petrol stations in business.