Board logo

Adjustable steering wheel / column ?
Chet - 21/4/14 at 06:09 PM

I have a J15 with a windshield. I initially used a very small steering wheel for clearance but would now like to find a better solution.

Ideally I'd like to be able to adjust both the height and length of the overall steering column / wheel due to different drivers.
I also use a Flatshifter Max with paddles so can't utilize some of the stock tilt / telescopic columns available here in the USA due to their large diameter.

I don't mind changing the entire column / wheel setup if necessary.

Can anyone share their potential solutions or suitable products ?

Thanks
Chet

loggyboy - 21/4/14 at 07:13 PM

What is thd current column? IIRC there were sierra adjustable columns, but just for rake IIRC.

rdodger - 21/4/14 at 08:27 PM

Length you could do with an adjustable steering wheel spacer?

OZDan - 7/5/14 at 12:19 PM

I am v.slowly assembling a J15 and am currently looking at the steering. I am planning to use a mk7 Fiesta steering column which is height and reach adjustable, and also comes with electric power steering (which you could leave disconnected or remove if you wanted). I have had to remove the diagonal brace from the chassis that passes beneath the steering column (the electric motor is a big sucker) but will replace this later when the new column is in place. Unfortunately I am only part way through this so can't say it will be successful.