Board logo

Sylva J15 Luggage rack
theprisioner - 25/4/14 at 11:47 AM

Luggage rack
Luggage rack

Decided to fabricate a luggage rack for touring with the J15 and Stoneleigh looming soon qualifies as it is 300 miles from base and I am camping. I fab'd it out of 30mm alloy tube and welded the corners (alloy TIG welding is not my best skill). Not actually bolted it on yet but it looks feels strong and only held on with two bolts. Foam at the back of the supports prevents damage to the roll bar.

Needs some plastic plugs on the ends etc

Comments welcome?

jeffw - 25/4/14 at 12:43 PM

http://www.boot-bag.com/toppage1.htm

Simply solution? It is what I use

adithorp - 25/4/14 at 12:46 PM

Looks good. I'd want some support between the top of the uprights and the back corners; With load on and vibration there'll be quite a strain on those welds... but i guess you've already thought of that.

HERE's mine. I'donlyjust had the roll bar made so had welded the mountings to it before having it powder coated. I put it on for touring but tend to load the passenger side up and save the rack for emergency. Only realy used it twice. Once planned on a 2up trip to the LM Classic and once when Hobbsy's car broke down in Antibes. He sent it home on recovery and come home with me...2up and 2 lots of camping gear and luggage etc... Over the Alps in a fully loaded BEC. Wasn't a problem but no need to short shift.

the constant builder - 25/4/14 at 01:10 PM

That's looking good. Are you going to put diagonal braces on too? An additional bar across the uprights might be useful to take the fore and aft load when braking or accelerating.

theprisioner - 25/4/14 at 02:37 PM

Just bolted it up and it is very strong and stable, some extra bungees to the roll bar should suffice.

The test drive will be Stoneleigh!

[Edited on 25/4/14 by theprisioner]