Board logo

GTM Rossa mk1 / mk2 / K3 as track day car
Alez - 15/5/14 at 11:27 PM

I'm getting interested in this cute little car which apparently uses two front Mini or Metro subframes and a GRP monocoque as stressed member. I haven't been able to find much information beyond that out there, though. I thought you guys may have comments on a few specific questions I can think of:

1) What power train would you want for track days and what are the available options? I think the mk1 and mk2 use Mini engines and the K3 uses Rover K engines, is that correct? I'm also thinking there are a number of engine swap kits for the classic Mini, like for example this R1 one or this VTec one. My question is, since Rossas (or at least at least early ones) use a Mini front subframe on its rear, is it reasonable to assume that the amount of custom work required to adapt one of these kits to the Rossa should be either minimal or none at all or am I missing something here? Given that there are 1.8 VVC Rover K K3 units in existence, do you think the engine transplant route would be worth the hassle at all? I think this, this or similar Duratec 2.0 would be awesome, but I haven't found a Mini kit conversion for it.

2) Is its rolling chassis worthy at all for track day use? Is its handling good at all?

3) Any idea what its curb weight may be?

Cheers,

Alex

rdodger - 16/5/14 at 08:06 AM

Hi

Rossa's are Mini based, K3 Rover Metro. Originally the K3 ran engines up to the 1.4 twin cam on the R65 gearbox.

The GTMOC (GTM Owners Club) is the place to find out more about them.

I know a couple of people who use them as track cars. Both use K series VVC engines with the PG1 gearbox and have upgraded to MGTF subframes. One of them is about to drop a Turbo K series in with 220bhp so that should go well.

The main problem they have had is brakes. To fit decent brakes (rover 216 I think) they have had to increase the wheel size which leads to either raising the ride height to comedy levels or modding the monocoque which is quite involved.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

They yellow one I believe would be for sale if someone was interested.

[Edited on 16/5/14 by rdodger]

mark.s - 16/5/14 at 03:22 PM

Found this earlier on ebay must be worth a look for you

Item number:

Mark

Shandylegs - 16/5/14 at 03:44 PM

Always liked these and have nearly bought one on a couple of occasions but was put off with the reported lack of rigidity in the shell.

Also know of the person who started the R1 conversion above. It's been ongoing for many years and sold on twice to my knowledge without ever being finished. Seems somewhat dearer than the last time, but it does look like more progress has been made....

Alez - 17/5/14 at 07:47 PM

quote:
The main problem they have had is brakes. To fit decent brakes (rover 216 I think) they have had to increase the wheel size which leads to either raising the ride height to comedy levels or modding the monocoque which is quite involved.

My Locost was alright on 13" Minilites using the "standard" Locost (Ford) hub / upright arrangement and green stuff pads. I suppose Rossas and K3s may be say 1.5x the weight, but if a setup similar to that can be used, that'd do for me I think.

Edited: I've seen K3s on 15" wheels, surely you can fit good brakes in those, am I missing something?

quote:
They yellow one I believe would be for sale if someone was interested.

Both look so nice. I'm not looking to buy right now (must sell first), but any idea of the asking price?, out of interest.

quote:
Always liked these and have nearly bought one on a couple of occasions but was put off with the reported lack of rigidity in the shell.

I've seen pictures of quite a few track oriented ones already and even track only ones (like this Coupe), hopefully it's not so bad if people are using it?

[Edited on 17/5/14 by Alez]

Alez - 17/5/14 at 07:50 PM

quote:
The GTMOC (GTM Owners Club) is the place to find out more about them.

I've asked the engine swap question there. Seems like it needs major rework due to lack of room on the engine bay...

[Edited on 17/5/14 by Alez]