Board logo

tyre wear
dangerousbrian - 5/8/14 at 03:38 PM

Does this tyre wear look dodgy at all? This is the rear left off my Indy after 3 oulton trackdays and 2 Silverstone trackdays.

Rear right is wearing right down the center also but not worn as much as rear left.

Cheers,

Bri

loggyboy - 5/8/14 at 03:50 PM

Is this query about premature or uneven wear?
Doesn't look that uneven, and the speed of wear would be down to driving style, temps and compound.

it does look 'fairly' even to me. Both look more worn in centre which would possibly point to pressure being slightly too high.
Has the car had a geometry set up?

JMDWestley - 5/8/14 at 03:53 PM

I'm no mechanic but to me looks like excessive heat build up or drifting.
Your tracking ok?

dangerousbrian - 5/8/14 at 04:09 PM

Yeah i just wondered if it was a bit too uneven it being right down the center. I did wonder about tyre pressures, but i've been running pretty low pressures so i'd of thought it would have worn the edges of the tyre at a lower pressure rather than the center.

JMD, definitely no drifting, but i would describe my driving as "committed" and the tyres do get rather toasty.

Geometry hasn't been done for a couple of years really, should probably look at getting that done at some point. The car doesn't handle badly in any way hence the reason i've not had it checked recently.

19sac65 - 5/8/14 at 04:34 PM

Wear in the centre is usually over inflation

dangerousbrian - 5/8/14 at 04:49 PM

thats what i thought, but i've had them at 18psi cold... (i've not adjusted when hot though)

threadbare wallet - 5/8/14 at 06:42 PM

18 is high especially for the track,was it a hot day?

dangerousbrian - 5/8/14 at 07:32 PM

Yeah it was yesterday, around 24/26 deg.

loggyboy - 5/8/14 at 07:40 PM

What temp did you measure pressure at?

mark chandler - 5/8/14 at 08:21 PM

I run mine at 14psi cold if not less, they Gain at least 2 or 3 psi after a hammering on track

[Edited on 5/8/14 by mark chandler]

Dusty - 5/8/14 at 09:33 PM

You could always buy an infrared thermometer from Maplins, go drive the car on your next trackday and come off track hot and quickly measure temperature across the tyre width. It is a good reflection of which part of the tyre is doing the most work. Can give over/under inflation information as well as clues on camber and tracking.

dangerousbrian - 5/8/14 at 10:02 PM

Cheers, I'll make an investment

beaver34 - 6/8/14 at 06:48 AM

R888 always wear in the center as far as ive ever seen regardless of what we have done in terms of pressures