Board logo

Mini 7 x 14 lathe?
coozer - 21/10/17 at 05:32 PM

Anyone using a mini lathe? Wondering how big a job they can handle?

Starting to regret selling my harrison but fancy one of the mini ones.

Just some little bits, spacers etc.. Had to farm out a job 2 weeks after I sold mine.. Doh!

trextr7monkey - 21/10/17 at 06:16 PM

Hi Steve
I’ve a little Myford ML4 it’s pretty basic with a massive Brooks motor on the back . Great for brass and Ali probably older than both of us but very very therapeutic. Until I retire we have other bigger more accurate machines at work that will handle modest steel jobs
Bloke I bought mine off was turning valve guides for old motor bikes but fine for spacers etc
Atb
Mike

Shooter63 - 21/10/17 at 06:37 PM

Funny enough I sold my ml10 and bought a Harrison m250 a few years ago now I think it was a mistake, as the myford lathes have so many accessories available and everything is reasonably cheap, a fixed steady for example can be had for a few quid while one for the m250 if you can find one is north of £250.00 even a single change gear is over £100.00
As for the 7x14 buy it from warco as they have a good reputation and plenty of accessories are about, no doubt you know in theory it can turn something 7 x 14 but realistically once the chuck is on and tailstock has a centre in you are probably down to 12" or less.

Shooter

coozer - 21/10/17 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
Hi Steve
I’ve a little Myford ML4 it’s pretty basic with a massive Brooks motor on the back . Great for brass and Ali probably older than both of us but very very therapeutic. Until I retire we have other bigger more accurate machines at work that will handle modest steel jobs
Bloke I bought mine off was turning valve guides for old motor bikes but fine for spacers etc
Atb
Mike

Thanks Mike for the job, its done now.

trextr7monkey - 22/10/17 at 08:38 AM

A bit more progress and another job off the list!
Atb
Mike

40inches - 22/10/17 at 09:59 AM

Interesting lathe eBay Item

liam.mccaffrey - 22/10/17 at 05:33 PM

I have both a mini lathe and a worn out myford ml7 and I look for any excuse to not use the mini lathe. The only reason I would use it over the myford is for the variable and admittedly higher speed.

Even the myford is a bit of a toy which I'll be replacing with a harrison as soon as I can afford it.