Board logo

Lambda senses help
jacko - 5/1/14 at 10:49 AM

Hi all
The wife's corsa B has been playing up for a some time the engine management light keeps coming on but if you rev the engine the light goes out for a few days.
I have had it checked and the garage says its the lambda.
Can i remove this and clean it in some way or is it a new one wanted
How hard is it to remove and is special tools needed to do this job.
In all the years i have worked on cars i have never had to do this job
Jacko

Proby - 5/1/14 at 10:55 AM

Not sure you can clean it in any way.
I changed one on the wifes Lupo a few years ago. just unplugged it from the loom, put a ring spanner over it and screwed it out!! They can be a bugger to remove if they are seized in, just make sure you use the correct size spanner in the first place as not to round the flats off. I don't think its any different on any other car.

Proby - 5/1/14 at 10:56 AM

PS: I got the replacement from Euro Car Parts, seemed best price after haggling discount.

Ben_Copeland - 5/1/14 at 11:11 AM

Be careful replacing it. Vauxhall only like genuine GM lambda's

Slimy38 - 5/1/14 at 11:15 AM

My car failed an MOT on emissions based on a lambda sensor, the garage did manage to clean it but I've no idea how. Unfortunately on removal they actually broke the heater circuit so while I had great emissions, I had an engine light on!

The main problem with them is access, as Proby mentioned you need a good fitting ring spanner and a lot of clearance to get the leverage on what will be a seized fixing. It can sometimes be worth taking it to a garage as they can get it up on ramps. It 'should' only be a ten minute job.

You ought to find out which sensor is at fault though, most cars have a pre cat sensor which deals with emissions and a post cat sensor that looks at the efficiency of the convertor. Both can generate a fault light.

[Edited on 5/1/14 by Slimy38]

big_wasa - 5/1/14 at 11:15 AM

If you can get a spanner on it, it will be 22mm from memory or a deep socket with cable cut out is only around a fiver.

imp paul - 5/1/14 at 11:36 AM

Hi you could clean it with brake/clutch cleaner this some times works give it a go as they do get sutted up a lot so doesn't help them work properly :-)

britishtrident - 5/1/14 at 12:46 PM

Vauxhall Corsa lambda Senors tend t to suffer from corrosion of the wiring and plug.
If the sensor itself is triggering a fault code then it is likely to be the sensor is responding too slowly and has failed the crossing point count test.

Nearly all lambda sensors are made by a division of NGK or by Bosch but there are a lott of counterfeit ones around on ebay the most reliable internet suppliers are gendan.co.UK

The hex size is indeed 22mm and often they can be very tight so a really good fit iscrequired.you can buy special slotted sockets for removing the sensor I have found the crows foot style the most useful.
You can clean the threads in the manifold with a18mm (Ford Pinto) spark plugs thread chaser/repair tap.

[Edited on 5/1/14 by britishtrident]

chrism - 5/1/14 at 01:15 PM

You can get proper lamba sensor sockets with a cutout for the wire, they are usually the 6sided type of socket to help reduce the chance of rounding off the nuts.

Proby - 5/1/14 at 02:37 PM

As said by BT, 99.9% of Lambdas are made by either NGK or Bosch (including OEM), Euro Car Parts sold both options.