Board logo

Car Scratch / kit Building / Buying
davidimurray - 6/4/14 at 06:26 PM

Out of curiosity I was just wondering what the mix is of scratchbuilders / kit builders / car buyers so thought I would post a poll out of interest

Irony - 6/4/14 at 06:31 PM

Bought a part built. Came with its own problems and I stripped it back to the chassis. Saved quite a bit of cash over new. In hindsight I have bought fullybuilt secondhand and then stripped.

coozer - 6/4/14 at 06:43 PM

Scratch build for me now, is it called 'scratch' build cause I'm itching to do it?

Having built 2 kits, Striker and an MNR I'm now in the game to scratch build something.

The Midlana ticks all the right boxes for me right now using a Seat Cupra R/Audi TT BAM engine..

Problem is I'm stuck with a rebuild of a jago Jeep just at the moment....

mark chandler - 6/4/14 at 06:55 PM

Steel tube and Ali sheet for me, previous to building mine loosely based upon the champion design I made a few space frame landrovers to race.

It's all good fun, much cheaper if you ignore labour costs.

Xtreme Kermit - 6/4/14 at 07:16 PM

Have neither the time nor the talent to build, so bought a going concern and have tinkered ever since.

Ben_Copeland - 6/4/14 at 07:29 PM

Built one from scratch including chassis and wishbones.

Also built one from scratch but bought major components that time.

big_wasa - 6/4/14 at 07:37 PM

Scratch built the locost and have the itch for the next big project but I have a few little projects to do first.

Midlana or Terrapin, I cant make my mind up. Still an out side chance of a roadster.

davidimurray - 6/4/14 at 07:43 PM

Interesting to see the spread so far - more scratch builds than I expected.

Just to add I built my car from scratch. Only bits I didn't make were the fibreglass bits.

Simon - 6/4/14 at 08:09 PM

Scratch built chassis, suspension (incl irs!) and homemade all the bodywork.

Would I do it again, er just bought an MG TF which will be turboed

ATB

Simon

JoelP - 6/4/14 at 08:25 PM

Surely there isn't an option for scratch built to own design?

Slimy38 - 6/4/14 at 08:44 PM

Another scratch built, more time than money (although not much time at the moment!). The only thing I'm aiming to buy new is the body, I'm aiming for a Fury-like full body.

davidimurray - 6/4/14 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Surely there isn't an option for scratch built to own design?

Can I edit the poll options?

steve m - 7/4/14 at 06:19 AM

Scratch built from the original Haynes manual

Never again !

coyoteboy - 7/4/14 at 09:00 AM

You missed scratch designed.

davidimurray - 7/4/14 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
You missed scratch designed.

As before - anyone know if I can edit the poll ?? If so I will add.

Heather - 7/4/14 at 09:53 AM

Tony - Wolfezxr on here

Scratch built Sylva Phoenix
Scratch built Sylva Riot then designed and scratch built the bodywork Wolfe ZXR
Then completely designed and built from scratch the Wolfe TG02

(Just in case you cant tell I am very proud of him)

daveb666 - 7/4/14 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Scratch built the locost...

and I bought the 99.5% complete locost so that makes me a "bought part built kit"

adithorp - 7/4/14 at 11:16 AM

With neither the welding talent or the time I built from a kit. The fact I wanted a full bodied car and not a seven pointed me down that route as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Tony - Wolfezxr on here

Scratch built Sylva Phoenix
Scratch built Sylva Riot then designed and scratch built the bodywork Wolfe ZXR
Then completely designed and built from scratch the Wolfe TG02

(Just in case you cant tell I am very proud of him)

Not sure I understand, did you buy the kits for the Phoenix and Riot or (as it implies) build the chassis and everything else from scratch?

Heather - 7/4/14 at 11:38 AM

quote]
Not sure I understand, did you buy the kits for the Phoenix and Riot or (as it implies) build the chassis and everything else from scratch?

Sorry reading it back I can see I wasn't very clear
Yes we bought a complete Phoenix kit which he built from scratch, then the Riot Chassis and running gear which he built and then designed and built the body.
Then the Wolfe TG02 he scratch designed and built.

Dick Axtell - 7/4/14 at 02:45 PM

Bought MK chassis & wishbones, plus they welded on rear axle brkts. Apart from g/fibre bits, everything else was made using garage tools.

nick205 - 7/4/14 at 03:35 PM

Built an Indy kit and now restoring a Pug 205.

Once that's done, time allowing I fancy scratch building a single seater for the road

Edwardo - 7/4/14 at 04:09 PM

I bought a 'part built' (in it's loosest sense) sliding pillar Robin Hood 2B - which with hindsight I now massively regret.

A part built Locost would have been perfect for me with nice fibreglass bodywork ready available and nice square tube frame making mounting stuff solidly a doddle in comparison to the huge heavy round tube hood frame.

I've gone too far now though and spent too much money (which I wouldn't get anywhere near back) trying to sort the hood to U turn at this stage. Should have done waaaaaaaayyyyyyy more homework before buying

Not Anumber - 7/4/14 at 05:38 PM

I bought a registered MK Indy which needed some work. It was fun to restore but I found getting in and out of a 7 was tough so sold it recently and broke even so no complaints there.

If i did it again i would build a Haynes Roadster from a Talon pre built chassis and take the MX5 donor route.

Mr C - 7/4/14 at 07:04 PM

Built a V-Storm, now building a Midlana.

coozer - 7/4/14 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
Built a V-Storm, now building a Midlana.

Ooo, pictures please, and, what you doing for the nosecone?

Are you on the midlana forum?

Steve

Proby - 7/4/14 at 07:55 PM

Built a Westfield kit, bought a factory built F27 (Used).