Board logo

Rear engined tin top!
doughie - 1/6/18 at 07:02 PM

It's been a while... and lookin to get back in the garage...

Wondering if anyone's improved a front engined road car by re-manufacturing it to a mid??

Offers of ideas, tips, experience etc welcomed

Shooter63 - 1/6/18 at 07:36 PM

There is a company that sells a kit to fit a Honda vtech into the back of a classic mini, it certainly goes quicker, not sure about better though.

Shooter

jps - 1/6/18 at 07:40 PM

Austin Rover surely win the prize for doing this with the Metro to make the 6r4. Lol

doughie - 1/6/18 at 08:58 PM

ha ha agreed... but how do you get a 2018 version on the road??

Slimy38 - 1/6/18 at 10:02 PM

Clio V6 springs to mind too, although as with other suggestions I'm not sure it was actually better.

But talking about the 6R4, did anyone see the one at Stoneleigh? Bespoke chassis wrapped in a 6R4 replica kit, it looked pretty hot to me. I'm sure I have some pics somewhere if anyone missed it.

Slimy38 - 1/6/18 at 10:02 PM

Clio V6 springs to mind too, although as with other suggestions I'm not sure it was actually better.

But talking about the 6R4, did anyone see the one at Stoneleigh? Bespoke chassis wrapped in a 6R4 replica kit, it looked pretty hot to me. I'm sure I have some pics somewhere if anyone missed it.

slingshot2000 - 1/6/18 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
Austin Rover surely win the prize for doing this with the Metro to make the 6r4. Lol

They had an awful lot of help from Williams F1 . . . . . . .

slingshot2000 - 1/6/18 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

You need to send them a Metro, where will you find one today ???

bi22le - 1/6/18 at 10:09 PM

Quite often in the for world you get people buying tatty MK1 Focus' and moving the engine into the boot with a turbo strapped on.

250bhp Mid engine RWD and I recon they could be fun. I would like an old Fiesta ST to do that with!!

liam.mccaffrey - 1/6/18 at 10:23 PM

Mgzr/mgtf

Ugg10 - 1/6/18 at 10:39 PM

Why move the engine to the boot? Surely you ADD one in the boot and leave the front one in there. I have seen this done with an Audi TT with two 1.8t engine each putting out 300hp, also an Alfa (155?) with a v6 front and rear, and finally a golf with 3 VR6’s. Double the HP and only increase the weight by 10-15%, what’s not to like.

doughie - 2/6/18 at 07:55 AM

Cheers for your replies... Any examples out there??

loggyboy - 2/6/18 at 08:58 AM

A freind of mine started a rear engined nova project. Eventually got sold and finished off by someone else.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects-restorations/435924-my-mid-engine-rwd-nova.html#/topics/435924

It can be fun to keep the front one too.
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?73412-twin-engined-nova

[Edited on 2-6-18 by loggyboy]

Simon - 2/6/18 at 09:18 AM

Back in the day (a long time ago), there was a twin engined mini, called the Twini. With all the cheap modern Minis, that might be worth a revisit.

owelly - 3/6/18 at 12:23 PM

...don't forget, if you chop the monocoque, you'll need an IVA.....

loggyboy - 4/6/18 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
...don't forget, if you chop the monocoque, you'll need an IVA.....

Yes Mum!