Board logo

Citroen DS3 Aircon Problem
russbost - 2/10/19 at 04:59 PM

Hi Guys, A friend of mine has the misfortune to own a 2013 Citroen DS3 Auto, not sure if it's the 1.4 or 1.6, but defo petrol, I doubt it makes any difference to the outcome of this scenario!

The aircon packed up last autumn & having been told it was going to be fortunes to fix she decided to run this summer with no a/c, she has now decided that she can't be without a/c so wants to get it fixed - she has been told it's the compressor that's knackered & it will cost £2600 to fix!!!!

How on earth can a compressor replacement possibly cost more than about £500 tops, you can buy brand new Nissen units off Ebay for around £230. I would have thought you could replace the whole system including all pipework, radiator & condenser for less than the money she's been quoted?

I see from internet searches that Citroen have had some probs with this a/c & have changed various pipework for upgraded parts, but this pipework costs only about £90 from Citroen for both compressor pipes?

Any info/advice gratefully received, I don't like to see people get ripped off, but got no time to look at it myself

nick205 - 3/10/19 at 09:31 AM

Having had air-con issues with cars before I've similarly been quoted stupid sums of money for repairs. Often with "labour" to remove/refit other parts to get to the offending parts said to be the culprit.

The first thing I'd do is visit another garage (or 2) for second opinions and quotes.

I'm certainly no air-con expert, but have hear it said that running the air-con when there's a fault or no refrigerant can cause damage to parts of the system. True or false I don't know - possibly "pub talk".

Finally, being that Citroen are part of PSA, which includes Peugeot I'd imagine the air-con components are widely used across PSA group vehicles. The parts are almost certainly bought in from other manufacturers as well, meaning the oarts will be used on other non PSA group vehicles. Logic (to me) dictates that replacement parts should be readily available and not cost a fortune.

Advise your friend to be cautious and careful not to get ripped off!

JAG - 3/10/19 at 12:13 PM

My Wife and I encountered a similar problem on a Gen 7 Toyota Celica.

However - a Toyota Dealer replaced the first a/c compressor for about £600 all in. I replaced the second a/c compressor for less than £200 - 2nd hand unit off eBay and a re-gas. Second hand unit did 10,000 miles before we sold the car with a/c

£2600 is extortionate but I've never looked at a DS3 and have no idea how much 'stuff' needs to be taken off before you can do the job.

russbost - 3/10/19 at 12:24 PM

I find now that there has apparently been a suggestion (why don't peeps tell the whole story in the first place???) that there could be a leak behind the dash - even so, I can't see how you can possibly get to anything like that sort of money, even 2 full days labour, 16 hours at main dealer type rates wouldn't come to more than about £1500 which would still leave over a grand for parts

She's going to take it to someone who's been recommended to me to get a 2nd opinion, I have told her to make sure she tells the whole story & ask for a worse case scenario b4 throwing money at it - the car's only done 25,000 miles, pretty p1ss poor quality IMHO, but then it is a Citroen ....

nick205 - 4/10/19 at 08:56 AM

russbost - keep us posted on progress with this please, I'm sure there'll be something here to learn.

russbost - 4/10/19 at 01:07 PM

I suspect that something may be "don't buy a Citroen!"

nick205 - 4/10/19 at 01:58 PM

It could be, but as above PSA (Peugeot & Citroen) will buy these bits in from other manufacturers (often Valeo) like other car makers do. I suspect whoever PSA buy the bits from supply the same bits to numerous other car brands. PSA may have made it awkward to get to the bits, but I doubt they're much worse than other car brands at that part. I quite like VAG brands, but some are a bugger when you need to get to certain parts.

russbost - 4/10/19 at 02:55 PM

Okay, I'll amend that to "don't buy a Peugeot or a Citroen"!

I will keep you informed, latest situ is that the recommended repairer reckons they can sort it for about £1k - still sound like a ridiculous amount of money to me!

nick205 - 4/10/19 at 08:15 PM

As per my avatar, username and message below I'm a big fan of Peugeot 205 GTIs.

I'm watching with great interest.

russbost - 5/10/19 at 08:54 AM

I'm also a fan of the 205 Gti, but modern Peugeots have about as much common DNA with the Gti as I do with an amoeba!

nick205 - 5/10/19 at 12:48 PM

True for PSA and all brands really, I just have that lingering love for Peugeot.

nick205 - 9/10/19 at 10:46 AM

Any news yet?

I'm interested to hear what the outcome might be on this.

russbost - 9/10/19 at 10:49 AM

Not sure if they've had it in yet, will be seeing the lady later today so will find out

nick205 - 9/10/19 at 11:04 AM

Look forward to hearing how it goes - hope it doesn't end up costing too much money either.

russbost - 10/10/19 at 07:23 AM

Update - it's gone into the place recommended to me, the initial estimate was £1000, there was apparently a problem behind the dash, I have to say, having stripped dashes out "back in the day" when cars were somewhat simpler, I don't envy anyone taking the dash out of something modern knowing they need to get it back together without it looking like a 7 year old has attacked it with his dad's toolkit

Anyway, they've stripped it & the quote as I think it now is has gone up to £1600, £800 of which is parts. I'm only getting a garbled second hand story, but it would seem to be a cracked pipe behind the dash, I assume where it attaches to the matrix, however the pipe cannot be purchased separately so, I'm guessing it's probably a matrix & a couple of pipes as a kit???

Will report back when the job is finished, I think they've been told parts will be a few days

I still think it just goes to show how stupid modern "engineering" has become, if you Google DS3 aircon it seems that problems are rife, frequently cracked pipes due to vibration which they've now updated the replacement parts for (in other words the originals weren't fit for purpose).

To have a 6 year old car, still worth around £4k plus according to "we buy any car" which can be very nearly written off by such a minor fault is crazy - if owned by someone a little less well off they would almost certainly try to flog it as it is (difficult to be sure aircon is working from around this time of year onwards) & dump the problem on someone else, or simply keep it & use with no aircon

I'm sure there must be a simpler way to build things - this would appear to be built in obsolescence & guaranteed work for your dealer network

I'm sticking to my advice of "don't buy a Citroen, or perhaps anything from the modern PSA network"

I never heard of any aircon probs on the 205 Gti !!!

nick205 - 10/10/19 at 11:23 AM

I certainly don't envy anyone having to dismantle a dashboard that's going to have to go back together in the car. Modern dashboards are usually a festival of plastic tangs that often snap off when coming apart and then fail to hold the parts together on re-assembly. As you say on a 6 year old car it seems pretty poor that such a failure has occurred.

Equally I don't recall problems like this with Peugeot 205's. I've got my 3rd GTI and none have had air-con, don't know if they Pug ever fitted ari-con to 205's TBH.

PSA group cars (and others) seem to have their frailties and design issues. VAG group TDI cars had a problem with Siemens diesel injector failures leaving cars immobile and causing large repair bills. VAG sorted it eventually, but it certainly bit a few owners along the way.

russbost - 24/10/19 at 07:19 PM

Ok, final outcome, it was apparently a cracked pipe to the main matrix unit up behind the dash. Surprise, surprise, the pipes are not available separately so the whole matrix & all associated pipework has to be replaced.

They were charged £800 for parts & total job came to £1400 - I'm pleased that I stopped them from getting ripped off for an additional £1200, but what a bl**dy ridiculous design that you create something which can't be readily maintained & involves such expensive parts (that weren't damaged in themselves!) & so much work - classic case of built in obsolescence

Annoying to think that the first unscrupulous garage was going to take £1200 for doing b*gger all - talk about nice work when you can get it!

nick205 - 25/10/19 at 09:44 AM

There's plenty of garages (and other trades) out there that'll happily relieve you of more money than is necessary. Often the case that they prey on people who don't know much about these things (other than want them working) and get suckered into paying out for having them repaired.

In this instance a good job you were around to guide the owner in a different direction and save them some money!

SJ - 25/10/19 at 01:17 PM

quote:

PSA group cars (and others) seem to have their frailties and design issues. VAG group TDI cars had a problem with Siemens diesel injector failures leaving cars immobile and causing large repair bills. VAG sorted it eventually, but it certainly bit a few owners along the way.

A lot is down to personal experience with a particular manufacturer. We've had a few PSA and Toyota cars in the last 20 years and had zero problems.

VW on the other hand were dreadful. Windows falling out, leaks, dodgy electrics trim breaking.

Having said that when I was recently spending my own money on a new car I bought a Mazda.

Stu

Slimy38 - 26/10/19 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
They were charged £800 for parts & total job came to £1400 - I'm pleased that I stopped them from getting ripped off for an additional £1200, but what a bl**dy ridiculous design that you create something which can't be readily maintained & involves such expensive parts (that weren't damaged in themselves!) & so much work - classic case of built in obsolescence

Very few cars these days seem set up for maintenance, outside the regular service schedule at least. They're all built to make the manufacturing process easy. If a system can be made of a single part that can be fitted before other parts, there's no reason to separate it into multiple parts for later work.

Exhausts are probably the most common thing for me. The last few cars I've had get one piece exhausts from nose to tail. These are cheap and easy to fit when there's nothing else attached to the bottom of a car. By the time everything else is fitted that exhaust is looping and swooping past all manner of lumps of metal, and could never be replaced with the same part. Thankfully at least with exhausts the replacements do come in a series of parts, presumably because exhausts are a lot more likely to be replaced than an ac system.